• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tony Mele stock

fredfish

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Nov 9, 2021
Bedford, Ma
Who ever owns a Tony Mele stock be very carful. Very nice looking stock, laminated wood I figured was very strong. I though you could grab by barrel and hit a tree or door jam. I was wrong- dropped whole thing about 2 feet on vinyl tile and broke it. Had about 1 month, no warranty. Tony said he would fix but it would cost, I never asked how much. Very nice looking stock I'd probably do again or recommend to friends- with be very CAREFUL. Benchrest stock with 2500x and Shilen heavy barrel plus scope.
Fred

Attachments

• IMG_0100.jpg
    IMG_0100.jpg
    307 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_0087.jpg
    IMG_0087.jpg
    527.1 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_0086.jpg
    IMG_0086.jpg
    807.2 KB · Views: 147
  • Sad
Reactions: Cowpokey
Just imagine if that break had happened while you were staring down the scope. Any attempt to repair should include a bolt or 2.
I'd just use it for firewood...or maybe make some scales with it.

Just imagine if that break had happened while you were staring down the scope. Any attempt to repair should include a bolt or 2.
You realize this is the rimfire section…no?

Anschutz quit shipping fully assembled rifles, they now have a 5/8 sized wider box with separate form fitting styrofoam cut outs for the barreled action and stock. They got tired of warranting broken stocks damaged by shipping.

Anschutz is also notorious for their non-thumbhole thin wrist target stocks breaking in that area just like your mele stock. Fairly common repair, so much so that it is pretty well documented on several websites.

Reactions: fredfish
Anschutz quit shipping fully assembled rifles, they now have a 5/8 sized wider box with separate form fitting styrofoam cut outs for the barreled action and stock. They got tired of warranting broken stocks damaged by shipping.

Anschutz is also notorious for their non-thumbhole thin wrist target stocks breaking in that area just like your mele stock. Fairly common repair, so much so that it is pretty well documented on several websites.
That must not apply to "sporters", all three of mine were shipped with the actions in the stocks...I got the first one about a year ago, all three were new from ANA. 🤷‍♂️

Edit add: My friend @GoggledIt said his new 1712AV GRS and his 1710 came with the actions and stocks separate in the same box.

Reactions: fredfish
That sucks! A laminate should not break against the grain, I would have deemed that almost impossible.

Its together with 2-5/8 bolts with cut off heads and 2 part epoxy, doesn't look bad no if only the barrel was good .

Got my 64MPR like that

That sucks! A laminate should not break against the grain, I would have deemed that almost impossible.
I always thought laminate stocks were stronger than standard wood stocks...guess that's not (always) the case.

I always thought laminate stocks were stronger than standard wood stocks...guess that's not (always) the case.
Failure is more common than you’d believe. Under the extreme penetration of some resins, the laminate actually becomes a very hard synthetic stock (albeit a hybrid).
Had a guy sighting in ask me to try his wife’s new Ruger in something like .308 or some other fairly light caliber. He couldn’t get it to group.
I settled in on sandbags, and just as I was building my grip, I felt a knife edge under my right thumb. Turned out the laminate had split in a jagged shear 3/4 way through the pistol grip. I lifted the bolt handle and gave it back to him pointing out the break.
Crap happens.

• Wow