• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Too Many Barrels... I Am Lost

Biglizard

Private
Minuteman
Jun 29, 2022
California
Firstly, I am new to the forum and I thank everyone here for spreading knowledge to one of my favorite hobbies. That said, I am very lost on my first AR 15 build.

I am NOT new to the platform. I have a Stag and a M&P but this will be my first Frankenstein. So far I am going with Aero upper and lower, BCM BCG, Blackout Defense trigger, Stngr handguard, I think I have some good stuff in the basket. But here comes the part I am just STUCK on... Barrels.

I really had no clue just how diverse the barrel world is and I am not afraid to admit that I am stuck. Here is what I am hoping to find... 16" barrel, 2lbs and under to keep it lighter, 223 Wylde chambering, will be using this for possible courses and bench shooting so I would like to a do a bit of everything well if possible. My wallet cap is probably around $350.

So far I have in mind the Criterion Hybrid Rifle Gas, Odin mid length, BA Premium fluted, Rainer Ultramatch Mod2, Faxon Match Flame Fluted.... if I am missing any to consider please let me know. I neeeeeed your thoughts and opinions because I am hovering my finger over the buy button on everything else right now. Much appreciated!

Checks all your boxes. I use one on my comp gun and have been happy with it.

Same here.
Criterion and Rainier, but will add that I have had a Wilson barrel that musta been made on hangover Monday or some shit.
It would put 3 rounds in 1 hole with 2 flyers that was so consistent I could windage them into a decent group.
Didn't matter what load, what wind, what temp, humidity, and so on.
3 in 1 hole, 1 flyer at 7 o'clock 1.25 inch out, 1 flyer at 4 o'clock 1.25 inch out.
Not some times....every-fucking-time.

Same here.
Criterion and Rainier, but will add that I have had a Wilson barrel that musta been made on hangover Monday or some shit.
It would put 3 rounds in 1 hole with 2 flyers that was so consistent I could windage them into a decent group.
3 in 1 hole, 1 flyer at 7 o'clock 1.25 inch out, 1 flyer at 4 o'clock 1.25 inch out.
Oh man! Well take the WC off the list lol. I always read good thing but I admit this was a while back when I searched about them.

Well as everyone stated I'd go with criterion or Rainer arms. Rainer is going to be well over your budget at $400 plus tax and shipping. I would also look into the criterion core. @Molon did a great review on the core barrels. However, I think you might be asking for a bit much. Not at the price point, but at the use of the firearm. You might get an absolute hammer, but guys that shoot consistently well off a bench, like 1/2 moa consistently, are not using barrels that are under 2 pounds. If you were going to do the best of both worlds, I'd get a White oak armament SPR barrel with flutes. They are around $350. That would check all the boxes for me. I have a WOA barrel, and it's the most accurate thing I've ever shot.

Agree with everyone so far, Rainier and Criterion are good, but Odin is surprisingly good as well. If you get the Odin, upgrade to the 16" intermediate over the mid.

Reactions: Jsp556
Same here.
Feeding 5 from the mag 1st and 5th out? Think that barrel was just FNing with you?

Why not call up white oak and have them spin a barrel up for. I have never used on but the reviews are great. Not sure about lead time tho. I know compass lake is way out there on lead times.
When I bought mine about 6 months ago, it said backordered, and I think I had the barrel at my door in less than 3 weeks.

Until you get into the custom barrel price range, you’ll be hard pressed to beat it. They shoot. For $190, they’re a steal. Pretty sure you can get the port size you want if you specify in your order. Stainless are available on his site as well.

Reactions: 346ci
it's easy pick one any brand you can afford and enjoy it , shoot till it does not shoot anymore , if you like it buy another and repeat or try another brand and keep at it till you find one you really like most of the high end barrels are great not sure any of them are making crappy products if there still making barrels and called a premier barrel maker ..

Reactions: Jsp556
White oaks is amazingly good.

Looks like their SDM 16" would stick almost all the boxes. Its 2.13 pounds is the only bad. But it's in stock.

Last edited:
Firstly, I am new to the forum and I thank everyone here for spreading knowledge to one of my favorite hobbies. That said, I am very lost on my first AR 15 build.

I am NOT new to the platform. I have a Stag and a M&P but this will be my first Frankenstein. So far I am going with Aero upper and lower, BCM BCG, Blackout Defense trigger, Stngr handguard, I think I have some good stuff in the basket. But here comes the part I am just STUCK on... Barrels.

I really had no clue just how diverse the barrel world is and I am not afraid to admit that I am stuck. Here is what I am hoping to find... 16" barrel, 2lbs and under to keep it lighter, 223 Wylde chambering, will be using this for possible courses and bench shooting so I would like to a do a bit of everything well if possible. My wallet cap is probably around $350.

So far I have in mind the Criterion Hybrid Rifle Gas, Odin mid length, BA Premium fluted, Rainer Ultramatch Mod2, Faxon Match Flame Fluted.... if I am missing any to consider please let me know. I neeeeeed your thoughts and opinions because I am hovering my finger over the buy button on everything else right now. Much appreciated!

How about stop looking for even more choices to consider?

You're already nearly paralyzed with indecision. More choices are not going to improve that.

Reactions: Dildobaggins
Take all the choices in this thread and make a pie chart about 10" across. Throw a dart, purchase barrel, install in your build and go shoot the shit out of it and be happy.

(Though ARP is the only one I have of those listed and it's great)

What's the point of commenting if you don't actually read the entire post? CLE, Craddock, Etc are way out of his price range. He said a cap of $350. I swear sometimes this forum is just an echo chamber for people to post what they like.
I didn't realize 50 bucks was out of the question....

I didn't realize 50 bucks was out of the question....
Its not, OP said “cap is probably around $350” in the first post, which means he may (and should) spend a little bit more for the right barrel (the heart of the system):
… I would like to a do a bit of everything well if possible. My wallet cap is probably around $350.

. Much appreciated!
Otherwise its time to go be poor somewhere else.

I'm going to hazard a guess that it's because the OP doesn't have unlimited money
Neither do I, I just have priorities. Seriously though WOA is phenomenal for the $. Pretty sure they make barrels for Wilson.

Crazy. Makes me wonder what the lower limit is for grooves... 🤔
Have you ever read the bore area specs for the cartridges? If you do and then calculate the bore area in barrels being produced you will find most do not meet the spec. Highly unlikely any 6 groove barrels meet the spec.

Reactions: Naaman
Have you ever read the bore area specs for the cartridges? If you do and then calculate the bore area in barrels being produced you will find most do not meet the spec. Highly unlikely any 6 groove barrels meet the spec.
Always more to learn. (y)

Its not, OP said “cap is probably around $350” in the first post, which means he may (and should) spend a little bit more for the right barrel (the heart of the system):

Otherwise its time to go be poor somewhere else.
You're the exact reason people post one question and never post again. You sound so stupid, it's incredible. He should spend a little more for the right barrel? What are you even talking about? A criterion, RA, or WOA would fit the bill. All under $350. Oh he's got a budget, he must be poor. Guy probably doesn't live in his mother's basement and has bills to pay. I know that's hard to imagine for you.

0CCB9AD5-9499-49C4-BE44-F4A0FDBBF4F3.jpeg

.66 moa average across 5 groups. Shot the first group then adjusted down and left .5moa to keep a good aiming point. No cool down between groups. Groups don’t shift when the barrel warms. Granted, this a 5r and spr profile, but every barrel I’ve bought from ARP shoots comparably.

I've been eyeing one of these for a while; Douglas blank, chambered by Compass Lake Engineering, and in-stock.

Reactions: nn8734
You're the exact reason people post one question and never post again. You sound so stupid, it's incredible. He should spend a little more for the right barrel? What are you even talking about? A criterion, RA, or WOA would fit the bill. All under $350. Oh he's got a budget, he must be poor. Guy probably doesn't live in his mother's basement and has bills to pay. I know that's hard to imagine for you.
LOL...pull that dildo out of your ass, baggins. You’re way too easily triggered.

Reactions: Huskydriver
@TonyTheTiger said that Rosco Mft. makes a better barrel than they have any reason to make, given the low cost. I don’t know, but he shoots way more than I do. I’ve got one coming to me, based on his rec.

Reactions: TonyTheTiger
You must be @Huskydriver boyfriend. Not triggered at all. Guy comes to ask a question, and people have to be douchebags about it.
You’re definitely triggered and adding in a little projection for good measure.

Take a few deep breaths and try to relax. Don’t get so bent out of shape over nothing.

You’re definitely triggered and adding in a little projection for good measure.

Take a few deep breaths and try to relax. Don’t get so bent out of shape over nothing.
🤣🤣🤣 Adding projection because you made gay references to start this whole thing off, yet I'm projecting? That's an interesting way of saying you're stupid. I'm completely calm. Has your mother called you and husky up from the basement for lunch yet? What are you guys having?

🤣🤣🤣 Adding projection because you made gay references to start this whole thing off, yet I'm projecting? That's an interesting way of saying you're stupid. I'm completely calm. Has your mother called you and husky up from the basement for lunch yet? What are you guys having?

PlumpGaseousAmericanlobster-size_restricted.gif

tumblr_inline_oft7f2wyLK1rp269s_500.gifv

Again, calm down and go outside for some fresh air.