• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Too many pants to choose from...

Megastink

Private
Minuteman
Oct 23, 2011
Eastern PA, USA
need a new pair of hunting pants. The market is flooded with options, some built for performance, not budget, and some that are budget friendly and SAY they perform... I need some help sifting...

Here’s what I need:
-lightweight and flexible as I still hunt a lot and it requires stepping over logs/rocks
-briar proof, tons and tons of briars on the ground here in SE PA.
-water proof, I like to hunt after a rain when it’s quiet and am willing to crawl through brush to get to some spots
-wind proof if possible
-leg pockets, leave the backpack in the truck and pack light

These will be my outer layer from early season-mid season, and my mid layer during late season. Would like to spend less than $150. Thanks you all!

95F4ED61-8C64-403D-88DD-6CC6D0632600.jpeg

-lightweight and flexible as I still hunt a lot and it requires stepping over logs/rocks
Easy enough, dozens of them out there

-briar proof, tons and tons of briars on the ground here in SE PA.

Possible, given the above there are a couple decent ones. They're louder FWIW.

-water proof, I like to hunt after a rain when it’s quiet and am willing to crawl through brush to get to some spots
If you want briar-proof and waterproof you give up your other criteria because they're a high maintenance waxed material. Alternately, chaps.

Waterproofness is achieved in cheap shit by rubber or coated nylon, which would be impermeable. In performance fabrics it's a PTFE (or similar) membrane laminated to a face fabric. It is as durable on its own as a hefty trash bag. The durability comes from a face fabric. generally, the more durable the face fabric is, the more you're compromising on weight, flexibility, and breathability. In your price range, that is certainly the case. Any penetration of the face fabric pierces the membrane and that spot is no longer waterproof. Gaiters can help with this.

Highly water resistant via raw materials and DWR coating can get you pretty close, those materials are out there. Couple them with gaiters for water resistance and durability below the knees and that is probably your best compromise when it isn't legit pouring outside. There is something to be said for fast drying and slow-wetting versus waterproof and slow-drying once compromised.

-wind proof if possible

If they're waterproof they'll be windproof. Most soft shells with a base layer are close enough. Waterproof gear is loud unless it's got a napped face fabric which helps but doesn't eliminate the rub noise and crinkling. It's also way less durable that other face fabrics.

-leg pockets, leave the backpack in the truck and pack light

Closest thing for all your criteria is Sitka Timberline pants or the First Lite, Kuiu, whatever brand equivalent with a set of good gaiters. You're around $250 there, stuff goes on sale though. I have been working or consulting in technical clothing for over 10 years now and materials are improving every year, but nothing does everything. You need to build a system for bad weather that is the best compromise for you, becasue nothing is perfect.

TL;DR: What you're asking for doesn't exist, especially under $150.

This is a good listen, John Barklow has written articles about it also. "Waterproof" does not always equate to "best in wet conditions".

He ran the Navy's misery school on Kodiak for a couple decades, probably the single greatest resource on cold and wet in the world.

Briar proof? These come highly recommended. Never used them. Usa made.

edit: I see you wanted leg pockets. I would think those would get caught up in briars, but you could get the bibs and use the chest pocket. I called one day and they do make custom orders.

Last edited:
I’ve been using kuiu attack pants recently I really like a lot. They’re holding up really well. I also enjoy that they have zippered vents that open to help cool you off.

Seriously, get some upland pants as described and some decent overpants for when it gets wet.
If you're moving, you'll produce enough heat to drive off most moisture- unless it's pouring down rain.
I used to work K9 SAR in western (wet) Oregon.
In summer I wore Mascot work pants and in winter Orvis waterproof upland hunting pants ($245) for the blackberries we have here.
If it's pouring rain, I run British surplus ECWS GoreTex pants from Sportsmans Guide with a full side zip over upland pants. They're easy to put on over my upland pants.
And when I need minimal protection, snake proof gaters.

Last edited:
Lightweight and flexible so you can walk from truck to deer stand where you wait for a deer to walk by?

I would be more concerned with Warm and comfortable. A good brush pant is not going to be waterproof and a good waterproof pant will become swiss cheese in briars and thorns.

This is why you buy multiple layers or just do like all the rednecks in the area do, carhart waterproof bibs and a jacket.

Reactions: GrumpyOleFart
I use my ripstop dpm from army, or 5.11 Stryker pants. They've been decent.
Not really fussed by getting wet.
If my core is warm, it's usually all good, I run hot anyway.
I've got the Arktis smock as a top cover, if it's pissing down, and quiet on the move.
Static shooting isn't my thing.
Rain on a tent fly.....magic!