• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Too much headspace?

usmc7980

Sarge
Minuteman
Oct 28, 2008
Springfield MO USA
So I found a bolt for my project rifle and borrowed some headspace gauges and they worked properly. Bolt closed on the go gauge and did not on the no-go. So everything was kosher and I shot the rifle with a shoestring. It seemed to work fine. I checked it today while reloading at another buddy's with his set of gauges and the bolt closes on all of his gauges(the go, no-go, and a field). One set was Forster and the other set was Clymer. Is this something I should be afraid of or should let a pro smith deal with it?

Re: Too much headspace?

Usually different companies use different dimensions for their own gauges. Mainly the no go is going to be a little different. Some might have a tighter tolerance between the go and no go, while others will have a few more thousands in between.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wilshire1412</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Possibly a difference in 7.62 Nato vs. .308 Win between the two sets of guages. </div></div>

That's what I'm thinking, the buddy's set is a military (762 NATO) guage set, which will not jive with a SAAMI 308 go-nogo set.

I thought that myself but both are marked for 308. I'm hoping it is just brand vs brand and everything is fine. I'm just a little hesitant to put my face behind the bolt until I figure this out.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wilshire1412</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Possibly a difference in 7.62 Nato vs. .308 Win between the two sets of guages. </div></div>

I guess normal but I'm not experienced enough to look at it and say whether it is good or bad.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What did the brass look like? </div></div>

I have an Ak I built same problem i had. Made me nervous as hell to fire. I was using wolf military ammo it was cracking the necks. Took it to a local smith he said as long as it wasn't splitting the case head i was good to go. He said it was splitting necks because it was steel not brass cases. So i hope somebody can help out because im curious too. Hope the guy didn't lie to me. I took some of the fired cases with me to show him.

Did you try a field gauge? The no-go is for re-barreling. If it closes on a field gauge, then you have reason to worry. Clymer gages have been recommended by those that re-barrel M1's and M14 style rifles as they are closer to the military specs. Forster are a bit different.

The bolt closed on go but not no-go with the Forster, I did not get a field gauge with the Forster kit so I don't know what would happen with that. But it closed on all three gauges in the Clymer kit
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: n64atlas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did you try a field gauge? The no-go is for re-barreling. If it closes on a field gauge, then you have reason to worry. Clymer gages have been recommended by those that re-barrel M1's and M14 style rifles as they are closer to the military specs. Forster are a bit different. </div></div>

Clymers tolerance is .0002 max difference from the SAAMI specs. How old are the gages? If it closed on the Clymer field I would take it to a smith and have it looked at.

I am not familiar with Forster gauges,
but the Clymers that I have seen had the measurements marked on the respective gauges....
If the Forsters do, did you compare all the measurements?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC7980</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm just going to take it to a smith and be safe. </div></div>

Good idea. I misread your post earlier and thought you were probably OK. After rereading it, Id say take it to a knowledgeable smith.

I didn't catch what kind of gun but here are chamber specs for gov. and saami 308

saami 1.630 1.640
gov m14 1.6355 1.6385
gov m14 match 1.631 1.633

I figure worst case scenario, I need to get the barrel taken off, the shoulder cut back and have it rechambered.

I had a 308 and was having issues with pressure with loads that I knew were not over charged. An old guy that worked with PO Ackley told me to prime a case and without powder or bullet, shoot it in the rifle. If the primer is backed out of the pocket, it has excessive headspace. After performing this test, with the primer backed out of the case, I took it to my smith and had it rebarreled. BTW, my bolt closed on a field guage which is way excessive headspace.

Just got back from the smith and everything checked out fine. It was the gauges being different and .308 vs 7.62 We test fired 50 rounds without any hang ups. So unfortunately for everybody here I'll be around a bit longer with my head still intact
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DRAM40A1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a 308 and was having issues with pressure with loads that I knew were not over charged. An old guy that worked with PO Ackley told me to prime a case and without powder or bullet, shoot it in the rifle. If the primer is backed out of the pocket, it has excessive headspace. After performing this test, with the primer backed out of the case, I took it to my smith and had it rebarreled. BTW, my bolt closed on a field guage which is way excessive headspace. </div></div>

Dram, thats how I was told to check for excessive head space..anyother tricks a smith could offer up for checking?

It seems to shoot fine now, when my smith checked it the gauges he used checked good. I had your idea and asked how close it was to closing on a no go. He said it was on the limits of needing work so I went ahead and am having him true the action and recut the factory barrel to tighten it up. I should be able to pick it next week and I'm geting my new scope this week so I'll have some wok to do later.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: monteboy84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd have him tighten it up to where the bolt just barely closes on a "Go" gauge, this tends to work the best for precision and will give you the best brass life.

-matt </div></div>