• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Too much lube?

Shakeber

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2011
Long time reader, first post. Hello all, great site and info.
I am new to reloading and have read alot on the subject. I will be reloading for a Rem 700 5r in 308 and for a Weatherby sub-moa in 243.
Question: When FL resizing (using RCBS dies and rochchucker) I lubed the cases with Hornady Unique case lube by putting a small amount of lube and rubbing my hands together ( I was told that a little went a long way!) and rolling 5-6 cases in my hands. When I resized them some of them had dimples at the shoulders slightly. You have to look for the dimples to see them. Have I ruined the cases?. Will the dimples affect the accuracy of the rounds. Your responses are definetly welcomed. Thanks in advance.

Re: Too much lube?

The cases with dimples will fire just fine. The dimples will disappear after firing. On the next group either keep the lube off the shoulders or wipe the shoulders off before you cycle them through the sizing die. Either way it was too much lube on the shoulders that causes that.

I does sound like an inconsistent application of lube. If the dimples are small it shouldn't have any real impact on the cartridge. Once you fire it the dimple will be swelled back out by the internal pressure. You can reload as usual with it afterwards. Just make sure you inspect the brass before reloading again.

For your next act you will reduce the lube until you get a case stuck in the sizer die and you will pull the rim off it. Then you will order that stuck case remover tool you didn't think you would ever need.

Somewhere between those extremes is where you want to be.

Good luck!
smile.gif

When I resize my .308 cases, I put about 1/4 teaspoon of the Forster lube in my palms..rub hands together to spread it...then I take about 150 cases and work my hands thru them in a plastic container. This seems to get them all lubed just right...have not had a stuck case for many years by doing that.

If you notice a dent in a case, pull out the decapping assembly and wipe the die with a patch on a cleaning rod. The lube always seems to mitigate up to the shoulder area of the die, so you might need to clean it every 50 cases or so.

Thanks to all that have replied. I will do as you suggest. Next time I will be careful to not get lube on the case necks. Again, I used very little lube, but as mentioned, it migrates to the neck.

It really doesn't take that much lube on a shoulder to cause a dent, your goal is not to get lube there. I love Unique, used Imperial Wax forever, and went to Unique a few years ago, never looked back. If you are looking for a greater volume/speed, maybe you can use a lube pad, or try and perfect your 'hand rolling' technique, but I figure I'm gonna pick up every case anyway, and I simply tap my finger of my left hand onto the surface of the Unique, spin the case around between my thumb and forefinger, with my right hand, and then take the case with my right hand and stick into the press for sizing.

Quick, easy works--I keep a towel across my shoulder, and if I feel there is a bit of excess on my fingers I give the towel a pinch, and on with it. This should do the deal for you, try this style and see what you think.

Fish, I used your suggestions and they work great. I keep a towel on the table and wipe my fingers as you suggested. Great advice. thanks to all that responded.

Yep too much lube. Cases are fine will reform when fired. I gave up on RCBS goo because of that many years ago now use Dillon or Midways spay and have never had the problem again. Just let dry for 5 miutes before stsrting.

Yea the bigger the dimple/more of them meants too much lube.. You should be fine tho. Take them out and shoot them.