• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Too much powder?

Tactical30

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 5, 2009
Eastern Ohio
I just started reloading and got the Speer Book and the Sierra book to go over and read before I started. I went ahead and loaded some 52 and 53gr bullets for my Ar-15. Then I loaded some Hornady 68gr Match bullets with 24.1grs of Varget which is the lowest starting point for that load but it feels like its a compressed load. When you pick up the bullet and shake it you cant hear the powder. I OAL it at 2.255 which is what it said. Is this ok?

Re: Too much powder?

Yeah, that's how Varget is for light bullets in .223.

The max load for 55 grain pills is ~27.5 grains, an I'll be damned if I can get that into the case, even without considering that the bullet must take up some of that space.

I don't think it's possible to overload a .223 case with Varget and still be able to properly seat a bullet. Varget is an excellent powder for .223 Remington.

Maybe so, but I gotta say, it makes me a tad nervous to think about that with the really heavy bullets. Hey, you could be right.

With really heavy bullets, you use less powder, not more.