• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Too Neck Turn or Not To Neck Turn??

sethmstanton

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2006
In my FFP.........CA
Well Im tryin to figure out which new reloading equipment I should go with. This is my list

Sinclair Concentricity Gauge
Cabelas Tumber Kit
RCBS Neck Turning Gauge
RCBS 3 Way Cutttet
RCBS Competion Die Set .308

Im pretty well set on the Sinclair Concentricity Gauge, and the Die Set. I currently do not have a tumbler and my brass is pretty grungy. I always wipe down the outside of the case with acetone, and clean the case neck with a .308 bore brush. Never had any problems so far. But Im tryin to make a decision on whether to buy either the tumbler kit, or the Neck Turning Gauge. Do I need to neck turn? I know Im probably openin up a can of worms here, but dont have a ton of money and can only buy on or the other. So what do you guys think??

Re: Too Neck Turn or Not To Neck Turn??

The general consensus around here is that if you have a factory chamber then you do not gain any advantage by turning necks (tactical application accuracy).

I, personally, would go with the tumbler.

Now when using the Concentricity Gauge, should you also neck turn? Does using the Concentricity Gauge benefit you if using a gun with a stock chamber? My gun is a stock Rem 700 BDL VS, with the H&S Precision Stock. It has pillar bedding and the Alum Bedding. It shoots outstanding. .3 avg @ 100yds. Would my $$ be better spent sending the gun off too GA Precision to have a new barrel installed and the action trued?? And will that make a significant difference?

Maybe you could shoot that one "as is" and start saving up for your dream girl, I agree unless you go tight neck, neck turning doesn't do much for ya. If you're shooting under .5" at 100 Thats probably good enough, unless your bench shooting. If you're bench shooting you should start building that rig. If you're shooting at unknown ranges maybe an upgrade in glass. A guage will tell you what's wrong but if it's unfixable, or the fix doesn't gain you anything, I think that was Mitch's point. why bother getting it?

Makes sence. I enjoy shooting long range, but its the only rifle I have and use it for deer hunting also. Its pretty basic. Git it for $300.00 and then I put the Harris Bipods and the Super Sniper 10X42 on it. Couldnt figure out why it shot so good, so pulled it apart the other day and saw it had been fully bedded pillars and all. Shoots just over .25 @ 100 yds but @ 200 & 300 shoots 3/4. Figured maybe if I got a little more in depth with the reloading process I could get it to .5 MOA past 100. Id like a custom from GA but thats a long time savin before that time comes around. Should I even bother with ANY of the reloading gear posted above?

A way to measure concentricity can be put to good use even with a gun containing a factory chamber.

Well thanks for the info guys, guess Ill probebly just go with the Tumbler and the Sinclair Concetricity Gauge. Then Ill be savin for the GA.Thanks again.

If you are shooting .3's with it, I would change nothing and put my money away for a rainy day. Just my 2 cents.

Cant argue with that!!! Saving is ALWAYS the wisest decision. I was just hoping to get a little better grouping out farther. I didnt see why I was shooting High .25's to Low .3's at 100 and 3/4 @ 200 & 300. But I guess that still aint that bad for a $300.00 hunting rifle.LOL Thanks bud.

Do you mean 3/4" or 3/4 M.O.A.? at 300 because 3/4 m.o.a. at 300 is close to 2.25". So if you are shooting for .5 m.o.a. and your shooting 3/4" you have exceeded your standard my friend.

You've gotten some good advice.

Let me also suggest you consider buying Forster BR dies rather than the RCBS Comp set, for less cost. The excellant Forster dies, with or without the micrometer head, will actually help you make better ammo. The RCBS side loading seater is/can be a bit easier to use but I know of no one who says it loads any more concentric ammo than conventional dies. Redding's seaters are copies of Forster's and work as well but cost more. Any micrometer head is a user convience, it does not aid the ammo the seater can produce.

Without a concentricity gage a loader is just going along in blind faith that his loads are straight. With the gage you can tell if your ammo is really straight and, if not, where it's going wrong. That's a good thing to know!
wink.gif