• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Took my 5R to the range today

SScott

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
It was a nice day today so I went to the range and shot a target to share here. I forgot exactly what the requirements were, but I thought that 5 groups of 5 shots should be enough.
The rifle is more capable than me, a few of those shots I called to be "pulled" as the trigger broke. The five group average is .842"
This is my current favorite load.
168 SMK
44.7 gr Varget
Neck sized only
standard CCI primer
RP brass
slight crimp.
2.820 COAL
SScott

Remingtin7005rtgt.jpg

Re: Took my 5R to the range today

Try some 168 amaxs, they might get even tighter!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage110</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try some 168 amaxs, they might get even tighter! </div></div>

I have a fresh box of 175 SMK's that I am gonna try next. I also have a jewell trigger that I can drop in it. I am a little reluctant on the trigger though, because this is the rifle that I am gonna take hunting for my first time this year. I plan on dropping the action in a Houge overmold stock and maybe down sizing the scope.
SScott

The 175's really worked well in my 5r. I have been printing .4-.5" 5 shot groups with the federal gold medal match ammo. I am hoping to duplicate that accuracy in my hand loads. Fun to have a factory rifle that shoots!

Im sure some tight handloads will produce even better groups. I have seen many a factory remington barrel get .5MOA easily with consistant ammo and a good shooter.

Scott why the hangup on the Jewel?

I try not to keep my rifle chambered when hunting im just safety anal but thats just me

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Scott why the hangup on the Jewel?

I try not to keep my rifle chambered when hunting im just safety anal but thats just me </div></div>

I really never thougth of it that way, I guess I could leave the rounds in the mag, and just wait to chamber a round when I had a shot.
With that thought in mind I will take out the Timney and drop in the Jewel.
SScott

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sunnyside Scott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I really never thougth of it that way, I guess I could leave the rounds in the mag, and just wait to chamber a round when I had a shot.
With that thought in mind I will take out the Timney and drop in the Jewel.
SScott </div></div>

Can I have the Timney since its no good???
wink.gif

I look forward to posting a thread with the same title as this one; I have gathered rings, rail, scope and bipod to mount on my new 5R .308. All I am waiting for is a lapping tool to lap my rings and a hex socket to torque my rail down with to put my rifle in action. Thanks to several members on this forum who have offered to lend me their lapping tools.
I hope maybe by this weekend I can assemble my project, pictures to come!

Did some load development on mine today. Using 180gr Sierra match kings in front of 41.5grains of varget and fed 210m primers, I shot a .21 3 shot group @ 100yards. I averaged .44 with this load. These rifles love 175-180's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Abizdafuzz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Can I have the Timney since its no good???
wink.gif
</div></div>
LOL
I bought it here, and if and when I sell it, it will be here. Keep your eyes open.
I just got the Jewel installed, so now I have to punch out some more reloads to see the difference.

SScott

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mnshortdraw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did some load development on mine today. Using 180gr Sierra match kings in front of 41.5grains of varget and fed 210m primers, I shot a .21 3 shot group @ 100yards. I averaged .44 with this load. These rifles love 175-180's. </div></div>
mnshortdraw, welcome to the hide and remember, 5 shot or 10 shot groups only, it will show what you and the rifle can do.
SScott

With the 1:11 twist on the 5R barrel you will find that it probably will like the 175smk over the 168s IMHO. My sps with a 1:12 twist seems to like the 168smk better until I get out past 800 yds

Don’t rule out 155gr. My 5R likes these as much as the heavier rounds. My load is a 155 gr. SMK with 45.60 gr. of IMR 8208 and an overall height of 2.840”.