• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Took my nephew to the range with me today

hydro556

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2007
STL, home of the Cardinals.
Took my 6 year old nephew Nathan with me to the range today. He has been a few times with my daughters (7&9) and him at the same time, but this is the first time just he and I went and really let him shoot a variety of guns.

He did very well, actually surprised me with his ability to stay interested. I have no sons, and my girls lose interest pretty fast. My oldest (17) is actually a hell of a shot, but she only goes to pacify me.

At any rate, Nate did great. He shot a couple different single shot .22's with irons, a Spikes Tactical carbine with irons, a LaRue OBR with an optic and a Ruger MKII 4" barreled pistol.

He said the .22 pistol and the AR15 were his favorites. We went to the rimfire section (100 yards) of the range since I knew we were primarily going to be shooting the 22's but he really wanted to shoot the pistol so I stopped by one of the pistol ranges for about 15 minutes before we left just so he could get the satisfaction of actually hitting something with the pistol as opposed to just sending rounds into the 100 yard berm with it.

Set up a paper target at 7 yards and we was working his way through figuring out the sight picture.

He hadnt said a thing all day about the targets, or keeping them or anything. First 2 shots were high about 6" and a few inches right. I explained to him how to correct it and he over corrected and placed 2 more about the same distance low. Then I explained to him the correction and he put one right in the middle of the 1" bull. Without any change in facial expression, and in a dead serious voice he immediately said, "Can we keep the targets?" It cracked me up for some reason.

Anyway, we stayed for about 2 hours and he never asked to leave. I think he would have been content to stay all evening. Was a great trip. He is a good little man. Remembers everything I ever tell him.

My sister says he is always talking about trigger discipline and muzzle discipline and explaining what it means to his friends etc. And that he always points out to his little buddies that you are supposed to look a man in the eye when shaking hands, LOL.

Here are a couple shots from earlier today.

* He had eye pro on when actually firing, but it was uncomfortable with the muffs, so he took them off every chance he got(pictures)

Helping reload some 7.62
DSC_1675.jpg

My middle daughter(I was trying make her smile and she got this silly look) seating a round, while Nate admires the hardware in the safe in the background
DSC_1676.jpg

The two of them admiring a couple 7.62 rounds they loaded
DSC_1678.jpg

Nate sorting out the #$%^ sights on the 4" pistol.
DSC_1681.jpg

Drawing a proper bead on a distant zombie who foolishly wandered out from behind cover.
DSC_1686.jpg

Posing with his new favorite toys.
DSC_1687.jpg

DSC_1694.jpg

I know, Cool story bro, but I had a good time and enjoy spending time with my nephew. I have no sons and really like getting to have some influence over him. His "dad" just throws him at the Nintendo the rare times that he gets him.

Re: Took my nephew to the range with me today

Good Job.

That's the future right there..........

Hydro, I was down at the far end of the 100 yard range while you were there today. Could tell from there he was having a great time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 30 cal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hydro, I was down at the far end of the 100 yard range while you were there today. Could tell from there he was having a great time. </div></div>

Over on the rimfire range? The guy who showed up a bit later, and not the guy in the middle who was shooting some sort of BR rig, right?

You were shooting a rimfire boltgun, right? Do you get out there often? I am there most every weekend and a couple times during the week in the warm months.

Well, hell. Wish you'd have introduced yourself, but there was no way to know we were both members here I suppose. I guess you saw the FJ I drive, holler at me next time you see me.

We need some Snipers Hide stickers for our vehicles.

Going to try and get back this afternoon and see if I can get some better photos of the kids.

I fell in love with shooting my 50mm f/1.8 wide open because of the subject isolation. But it is causing issues with sharpness.

I have more to learn with cameras than rifles, and that is saying a lot, LOL.

I know full grown men that can't seem to get it in their head index like that kid is doing. Way to teach them right!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I fell in love with shooting my 50mm f/1.8 wide open because of the subject isolation. But it is causing issues with sharpness.
</div></div>

First and foremost, kudos for being a great uncle.

If the Nikon 50/1.8 is anything like the Canon 50/1.8, it's made with mostly plastic lenses (hence the name "plastic fantastic") and isn't super-sharp when wide open.

Also, could it just be that the DoF is just flat-out too shallow?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WASP7067</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know full grown men that can't seem to get it in their head index like that kid is doing. Way to teach them right! </div></div>

He definitely has the trigger and muzzle discipline down.

Getting him to consistently maintain sight picture while squeezing a trigger as opposed to just getting the sight picture he likes and then yanking, well that is proving a bit more challenging.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Donut</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

First and foremost, kudos for being a great uncle.

If the Nikon 50/1.8 is anything like the Canon 50/1.8, it's made with mostly plastic lenses (hence the name "plastic fantastic") and isn't super-sharp when wide open.

Also, could it just be that the DoF is just flat-out too shallow? </div></div>

The $120 50mm f/1.8 is an amazing lens for the money. But, yes, I think I am using the wide open aperture way too often. I am going to make it a point to try and shoot more often at f4 and smaller.

I also need to try and use my 18-105 more often and see how good the results can be.

I am always looking at lenses at Cameraland/Amazon etc, but really am getting ahead of myself. I see people posting awesome results with the 18-105 and until I can get more like that, I shouldnt be looking at other higher dollar options.

ETA- I really wish I could understand the DOF preview button on my D90 but I just am not able to utilize it. I simply dont see what it does.

I have Canon 7D and the first lens I bought for it was a 50mm 1.4. It remains the sharpest lens I have. I don't have any high end lenses but there are a couple I have my eye on.

That was me down on the far end with a CZ453 I just bought. Am out there almost every weekend.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 30 cal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That was me down on the far end with a CZ453 I just bought. Am out there almost every weekend. </div></div>

Damn, wish I'd known it was a member as I would have come down and intro'd myself. Always love meeting fellow Hide members and putting a face with the 'handle.

Not to mention I'd have loved to check out your CZ. Is the 453 a 17hmr or 22?

I love the looks of the various CZ rimfires, and would love to shoot one. I almost bought one the last time I bought a rimfire but I ended up going with a name that has always over delivered for me. Savage. I bought a BTVS in 17hmr.

Like it pretty well so far, but wouldnt mind stepping up to something a little more, elegant, for lack of a better term.

Maybe we can get together one of these weekends and shoot them side by side and see which one is more accurate.

I managed to get a couple more hours with the nephew and my youngest girl this afternoon. Only took the Ruger 4" 22 and a single shot 22.

We shot some balloons for a couple hours on the overflow range. Was a little chilly but we had a good time. Will throw up a couple pics in a bit. Of the little ones.

Here are a couple quick shots from todays range trip.

In addition to Nathan, my nephew, I took Abigail, my youngest daughter. We were there only a short time, and only took a 22 pistol and a single shot youth rifle. Used balloons for targets, because they love that.

Here are a couple shots. The range is setting up a new walkthrough archery range it looks like. My daughter Abby is quite the eagle eye and is very good at picking up deer etc moving through the woods from the truck.

On the way in she freaked out talking about a H.H.H, Huuuuge doe. Once we drove a little farther I spotted it too. LOL

DSC_1713.jpg

It was an elk or caribou 3d target, LOL. We were hurting we laughed so hard.

Nate proud of his Haji balloon kill
DSC_1702.jpg

DSC_1700.jpg

Abby cleaning up a couple retreating stragglers.
DSC_1698.jpg

Did you see that shot?!
DSC_1705.jpg

We are prepubescent bad asses, arent we?
DSC_1712.jpg

DSC_1709.jpg

The CZ is in 22lr. Had problems with the set trigger so I still have not decided if I like it. Am wanting to Put a 20moa base and a 30mm scope on it. Will be at the range sometime this weekend trying to work it out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 30 cal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The CZ is in 22lr. Had problems with the set trigger so I still have not decided if I like it. Am wanting to Put a 20moa base and a 30mm scope on it. Will be at the range sometime this weekend trying to work it out. </div></div>

I am not sure I noticed which vehicle you were driving, but if you see me, give me a shout.

Will have my OBR and possibly my 20" APA as well, maybe we can ring some steel.

Good Job.Looks like they had a great time