• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Tool rentals?

Nocalphoenix

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 19, 2008
Montana
Does anyone know of places that rent tools other than reamers? Basicly a friend picked up an old .22 for a project and the last couple inches are worn out, looks like it was hammered by cleaning from the muzzle with a file. Yes in a perfect world I would take it to a smith and have the barrel cut and recrowned via lathe but there is only $100 invested in the rifle. Im looking for one of those 90deg facing cutters for one job.

Re: Tool rentals?

The reason you are having trouble finding one is it is a pretty dangerous piece of equipment that can kill, or maim. Along with easily being able to damage them if the operator is inexperienced. Not saying you are but insurance I think would make rental cost be more than having someone just perform the task at hand

I don't have one to lend, however you could do the job with a:

Brass screw with ball head, lapping compound, electric hand drill will take care of it. All can be had at home depot for under $25 (if you buy the crappiest $20 electric drill that they sell).

Brass ball head screw and lapping compound does work. Larry potterfiedl of midway usa has a good yout tube video it. step by step.