• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Tool to cut bolt face

flyfisherman246

Private
Minuteman
May 26, 2017
What are you guys using to single point cut a bolt face in a lathe that will fit under the extractor of a 700? thanks

Would you not just remove the extractor first?

Would you not just remove the extractor first?
Yes.

Don't know if they are still around, but "LaBounty" made a nice fixture. I had one and got rid of it recently when I swore off accurizing 700's in deference to all of the nice "custom" actions that come out of the box not needing any work.

I have a fixture to hold the bolt, I’m just looking for the little boring bar of some sort to cut the bolt face that can get under the factory rivited/welded extractor.

I don't know of one that'll have the profile needed to get under the extractor.
Simple enough to grind your own HSS.

Reactions: Jonny_
I have used a re-profiled small diameter solid carbide boring bar for years to clean up the bolt face, but I'd recommend against futzing with getting under the extractor.
The riveted extractors are easy enough to replace with a little bit of time, and the non-riveted versions even more so.

If you need a rivet to replace and can't find any in stock, I'll send you one.

Reactions: Threadcutter308
I have used a re-profiled small diameter solid carbide boring bar for years to clean up the bolt face, but I'd recommend against futzing with getting under the extractor.
The riveted extractors are easy enough to replace with a little bit of time, and the non-riveted versions even more so.

If you need a rivet to replace and can't find any in stock, I'll send you one.
Agreed. I think you (OP) are making this much more complicate than it needs to be......

You can also use a boltface truing cutter in a tooling block (how I do this step)- but you still need to remove the extractor.

Don't you have to remove the extractor and cut a new groove anyway? Presuming you're going up to the next size bolt face at least.

I'm currently using the manson bolt face burr with their fixture that screws in the front. It works very well, but I would rather cut the bolt face while held in the same fixture when the lugs are cut so there is no chance for error. The manson burr slides in under the factory extractor. I could rip out the extractor and install a new one, but that involves welding and grinding doesn't it? I know I've seem somewhere guys will grind a cutter to where it will cut the boltface all the way to the edge while slipping under the factory extractor.

No welding....some do have a little rivet.

Just single point it to the edge and rock on. It's the getting chucked up that sucks, the rest is 101 stuff.