• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tools for carbon fiber stocks (fitting/forming)

HeavyAssault

Dog-Face One-Horse Pony-Soldier (AVN RGT)
Minuteman
  • Feb 14, 2011
    Florida
    So I got a couple of McMillan stocks in their CF shell/Edge fill. Previously bought a R700 BA that the previous owner had LRI add on a side bolt release. The action will not fit the McMillan stock without a little work to fit the bolt release mechanism. I was able to do some work with a Dremel tool leaving the bolt release relief area looking a little too amateur. The Dremel worked great, left the area smooth and bolt release works just fine. The area is more half round shape compared to a flat surface. In the interest of making look more professional I need to use a rasp of some sort to get the area from this sudo half round to a flat. I don't need the area to be bigger, I just want it to look flat/level.
    Can I use any rasp to do the work?? Are there cautions that I need to observe with the CF shell/Edge fill?? Thanks.

Pic of the area I want to clean up:

IMG_20201120_124530063.jpg

Reactions: Earnhardt
    So any file? A metal material file??

Just wasn't sure if there's something that works best considering the material of the stock.

Carbon fiber will do a number on standard metal tools, such as files. This wouldn't be my first preference, especially if I expected to use the file for anything else later.

Wrapping standard sandpaper around something of the correct shape (file, wooden dowels and sticks, etc.) will yield better results.

You could also go with something like this:

I bet there are a variety of diamond files on sites like Amazon that would also work, but sandpaper and a popsicle stick are still cheaper.

Reactions: HeavyAssault