• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Top 10 (rifle) hunting cartridges everyone should own

topslop1

Private
Banned !
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2010
So I know there are literally no right or wrong answers, but I thought it'd be fun to see what everyone's opinion was.

My opinion will differ greatly than someone hunting whitetail over a food plot or from a tree or box, but here are my 10 favorite.

Smallest to largest:

1-22lr varmints like sage rats etc
2-223 for bigger varmints a bit farther away like coyotes etc.
3-243 varmint/antelope & deer cross over cartridge. Kids first "big" rifle.
4-30-30 not particularly awesome in any category, but still a classic cowboy cartrige that is fun to shoot, & can get er done on most critters at reasonable ranges.
5- 308 great ladies or kids all round cartridge
6- 270 North American all round cartridge with light recoil {I'm partial to the WSM}
7- 30-06 North American all round cartridge with more bullet selection. All time classic.
8- 300mag (take your pick) I prefer Win Mag, or WSM, but am fond of Wby too. Best all round caliber ever. Period. Ya I'm opinionated. But, I'm right too.:D
9- 338 (again pick one){I prefer Win Mag version} but depending on chambering, its today's "go to" LR (caliber) to which all others are compared. And it's plenty of medicine at most any range for anything in Anything on North America with Strong constitution, or a mean streak.
10- 375 (H&H, Wby,what ever, take your pick) {im an ol' H&H fan}everything else including Africa

So what are your favorites let see?

I like @hafejd30 ’s list as a good baseline…. For hunting I’d move the .308, the 300 WM and the 50 cal to the number 8, 9 and 10 spots and add:

1) .22LR
2) .223/5.56mm

3) 6.8 SPC-II (or 6.5G, or 6mm ARC)…a solid intermediate round for larger deer and pigs
4) .243 or something in the .270 to .284 family… a 7mm -08 would be my choice
5) 300BLK (I like it a lot more than 30-30; similar ballistics supersonic, but oh-so versatile suppressed)
6) 300 WSM (short action vs. the 300WM and 30-06 long action)
7) 30-06 … Because old school and still fast! That said, I recently re-barreled my -06 to 280 AI

8) .308 …Still the best “Do everything” round for North American game
9) 300WM
10) 50cal…. I actually love the 338 caliber, but for this list, let’s just skip over all that ‘crap‘ in the middle, and go right to the top! LoL

Currently running all straight walls.

.45 Long Colt
.45-70 Gov't
.357 Magnum (Some rifles and carbines use that caliber too)

Black powder, black powder substitute, and smokeless compatible. Incredible performance when using massive conicals cast from the Kaido Ojamaa molds or the Dixie Gun Works .45 molds for the Confederate Volunteer sharpshooter rifle.

Reactions: 91Eunozs and lash
1-Quality pellet of BB gun instead of a 22LR. because its not a firearm, you can say fuck you the the ATF, you can shoot them in the city, and get comparable performance out to 100. With the price increase on .22 its cheaper.
2-556/223. Every American should be required to own at least 2 AR's, 3 would be better. A nice 223 bolt gun is a plus.
3-308 because...308
4-6.5 CM because it out shoots the 308 and less recoil.
5- 375 CT for long range accuracy
6-50 BMG for when its just gotta be fucked up.
7-20 MM fr when its gotta be fucked up even more.

8-For pistols, why fuck around, Colt Anaconda 44 magnum. Plenty of ammo choices, not to pricey, and it will fuck up damn near anything on legs.

9-Quality crossbow with steel bolts for when we operators need stealth kills. I was in the Castille di St. Angelo nest to the Vatican, and they had suits of steel armor. I looked at one and you could see about a ,45 caliber hole where the bolt went in. Must have hit a bone and got side ways coming out. I wouldnt want to have been inside.

1-Quality pellet of BB gun instead of a 22LR. because its not a firearm, you can say fuck you the the ATF, you can shoot them in the city, and get comparable performance out to 100. With the price increase on .22 its cheaper.
2-556/223. Every American should be required to own at least 2 AR's, 3 would be better. A nice 223 bolt gun is a plus.
3-308 because...308
4-6.5 CM because it out shoots the 308 and less recoil.
5- 375 CT for long range accuracy
6-50 BMG for when its just gotta be fucked up.
7-20 MM fr when its gotta be fucked up even more.

8-For pistols, why fuck around, Colt Anaconda 44 magnum. Plenty of ammo choices, not to pricey, and it will fuck up damn near anything on legs.

9-Quality crossbow with steel bolts for when we operators need stealth kills. I was in the Castille di St. Angelo nest to the Vatican, and they had suits of steel armor. I looked at one and you could see about a ,45 caliber hole where the bolt went in. Must have hit a bone and got side ways coming out. I wouldnt want to have been inside.
No 16oz hammer?

There is actually a weapon out there, that will lure the prey in, and then destroy the prey in a kind, yet repulsive manner. It is perhaps the most deadly weapon to all animals and man kind. If you want to lure the prey and then destroy you need a.......
PUSSY!

There is actually a weapon out there, that will lure the prey in, and then destroy the prey in a kind, yet repulsive manner. It is perhaps the most deadly weapon to all animals and man kind. If you want to lure the prey and then destroy you need a.......
PUSSY!
What caliber is that??

• Haha
Reactions: Blue Sky Country
No 16oz hammer?

Hunting, defense, and wilderness prep... Not going to after hours VIP Grindr parties at the Pelosi mansion...
smiley_smartass.gif

That’s friggin’ awesome! 😝😝

Sending that to a buddy who shoots a fair bit of 45-70. It puts big holes in shit.

Now that I think about it, may not be a bad idea to have a couple wheel guns and old-school long guns (but modern design/metallurgy) chambered in rounds that can be reloaded with black powder just in case for when shit truly does go sideways.

<Laughs in Cabot and Nighthawk chambered in .45 ACP>

i-hL4H35m.jpg

i-QvKWJHM.jpg

…plus the G21 ‘work’ gun, and a couple Colts. 😎

now get off my lawn whippersnapper!
I have 5. No collectors, all shot regular. 2 older and one new Colt.

• Love
Reactions: 91Eunozs
I use my 25-06 for everything.

I also use a 6.5 Creed for everything.

Only 30 Cal I own is a blackout. No interest in any of the rest of them.

If I was going to get any bigger I might do a 280AI. The 25 kills everything though, so I have a hard time spending money to go any bigger.

And a 12ga for bird hunting because it's pretty damn universal for loads from slugs to #12s.

I use my 25-06 for everything.

I also use a 6.5 Creed for everything.

Only 30 Cal I own is a blackout. No interest in any of the rest of them.

If I was going to get any bigger I might do a 280AI. The 25 kills everything though, so I have a hard time spending money to go any bigger.

And a 12ga for bird hunting because it's pretty damn universal for loads from slugs to #12s.
25-06 is a personal favorite. Works for anything I'd ever actually get drawn for.

Reactions: Stevo86
.308 - 3 bolt actions, 1 semi-auto (good for hog hunting)
5.56 - because it is fun and handy and was an easy secondary carry in a plain black bag during the mostly peaceful protests.
9 mm - my daily carry
my Mossberg 590A1 SPX smooth bore. Shoots slugs great and it came with a bayonet, which I thought was cool.
7 PRC - everything.

Y'all forgot the best all around cartridge.
.470NE with a 500 gr. Woodleigh solid loaded to ~2500fps'ish.
You can take a squirrel at 10 yards or an elephant at 200.
In my Heim it is every bit as accurate as your flinch will allow.

Reactions: 458win
Finally I see some 257 cals mentioned!

With a partition or accubond they work great on elk.

Only thing I would be hesitant on is grizzly or moose. Only moose I've witnessed die took 3, 338 mags and just stared at us until he bled out. Not sure there's much that would just tip them over.

With a partition or accubond they work great on elk.

Only thing I would be hesitant on is grizzly or moose. Only moose I've witnessed die took 3, 338 mags and just stared at us until he bled out. Not sure there's much that would just tip them over.
223 Remington with a 77tmk kills elk and meese easy

• Wow
Reactions: kl7883