• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Training Courses Top facilities/classes within 8 hours of CHI

sheepdog697

RegionRat
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 26, 2017
    Cedar Lake, IN
    www.ibew.com
    I live in northwest Indiana. Almost a suburb of Chicago. Me and a few friends are seriously considering a long range precision class. We have opportunities to reach out beyond a 1000yds at home, do it somewhat regularly. I problems getting hits however CONSISTENCY is an issue. Groups at 100 are very good and fundamentals appear to be decent at close range. Although, it seems they are not solid once we reach out farther( 800+). I would say that we have been shooting long range for 2-3 years with NO formal training. (Shooting firearms since we were young). Looking for a good beginner/ intermediate class within driving 8 hours distance of Chicago. Looking to spend $2000 or under including ammo. Would like a multiple day class 3 days at minimum.

Here is the list of equipment we currently have. To give everyone an idea of what we are working with and possibly suggest classes that would allow us to maximize use of the equipment we use when we shoot out to distance.

-Kestrels 5700 w/link
    -Labradar
    -Solid Tripod setups (we could definitely use help on positional shooting)
    -everyone shoots tikkas in 6.5 creedmor with aftermarket chassis
    -everyone has a suppressor (so please list classes in states that would allow us to bring them)
    -solid bipod(atlas or Harris)
    -rear bags(small size)
    -solid optics in millradian(vortex razors or Steiner t5x line)

Any equipment that you would recommend for any classes thaT you list?

Thanks in advance, posted this from my cell phone please excuse grammar.

pm me and I might be able to suggest a class

I live in northwest Indiana. Almost a suburb of Chicago. Me and a few friends are seriously considering a long range precision class. We have opportunities to reach out beyond a 1000yds at home, do it somewhat regularly. I problems getting hits however CONSISTENCY is an issue. Groups at 100 are very good and fundamentals appear to be decent at close range. Although, it seems they are not solid once we reach out farther( 800+). I would say that we have been shooting long range for 2-3 years with NO formal training. (Shooting firearms since we were young). Looking for a good beginner/ intermediate class within driving 8 hours distance of Chicago. Looking to spend $2000 or under including ammo. Would like a multiple day class 3 days at minimum.

Here is the list of equipment we currently have. To give everyone an idea of what we are working with and possibly suggest classes that would allow us to maximize use of the equipment we use when we shoot out to distance.

-Kestrels 5700 w/link
    -Labradar
    -Solid Tripod setups (we could definitely use help on positional shooting)
    -everyone shoots tikkas in 6.5 creedmor with aftermarket chassis
    -everyone has a suppressor (so please list classes in states that would allow us to bring them)
    -solid bipod(atlas or Harris)
    -rear bags(small size)
    -solid optics in millradian(vortex razors or Steiner t5x line)

Any equipment that you would recommend for any classes thaT you list?

Thanks in advance, posted this from my cell phone please excuse grammar.

You got the MTC in Michigan mentioned above.

You also have The Site outside of Chicago: http://thesitetraining.com/

If you are looking within 8 hours, you could also shoot down to K&M in TN.

Not sure if you can use a suppressor at the site since it’s in Illinois.

Reactions: VanJoe
    What's the secret? Post it up here for all of use to see. Someone else other than the OP might be interested.[/QUOTE I own a private training company in central MN, our long range is 750 yards, and includes unique features ie. custom designed target cam with a "shot spotter"(computer reads impacts to the 1/10inch). Our target cam saves the shooter valuable training time and money, with instant, accurate feedback. We are post board certified in Precision rifle training and 4 other disciplines. Our students are 3 main groups 1. Hunters, going west for big game, 2. Bench or precision shooters. 3. Leo, sniper and overwatch duties. One of the many benefits with us, we film every class, and supply shooters a training video of their experience. Pointblankguntraining.com

The Elite Accuracy Competition Clinic Dates are ready.

Past Students of the class have gone on to win many state, regional, and National events again in 2018. Don't miss the opportunity to gain the skills and mental mindset to succeed.

Class dates and location currently set for 2019.
    Clarita OK, Streater Range, March 16-17th.
    Spickard MO, VaporTrail Valley, March 30-31st.
    Mt. Auburn IA, Sureshot Range, April 6-7th
    Mt. Auburn IA, Sureshot Range, August 3-4th
    Mt. Auburn IA, Sureshot Range, LONG RANGE HUNTER CLASS, August 17-18th.
    Class fees are $400 for 2 days of training. A 50% non refundable deposit is required to register. The balance is due 3 weeks prior to class.
    Register by email to; [email protected]
    State the class date and location in the header of your email.
    Elite Accuracy LLC.
    2019 Competition Clinic
    2708A College Dr. Decorah IA 52101
    Equipment; Students will need a Bolt action Rifle with bipod, a scope with exposed turrets capable of dialing their elevation corrections and 250 minimum rounds of ammunition, bring a sand sock or rear bag for shooting prone. Rifle systems should be capable of 1 moa or less. Students will also need an electronic device to calculate their rifles DOPE, OR a paper chart with their rifles DOPE already created for 100-1200 yards ( depending on the range we use and available distance). Note taking material. Suggested extra equipment; A wrist coach to record data on, or a sidewinder. A positional Sling to aid your shooting in barricade work, extra bags ie; Game Changer or pump pillow type gear, a spotting scope if you own one. Ear protection required and eye safety highly recommended.
    During this 2 day class we will work on those skills required to compete at BWRS/NRL/PRS style rifle matches.
    I start with classroom lecture where we will cover a wide ranging amount of material. With a special focus on, wind and how Magnus effect and terrain features can affect your elevation. We will cover the basics as well; fundamentals, equipment set-up, accurate data collection, mirage, ect. Day two lecture will revolve more around the mental aspects of match shooting and how to prepare for a match
    A considerable amount of time will cover barricade shooting, instruction, and demonstrations. By the time this portion of the class is over you will have a solid understanding and be able to apply the techniques I use on barricades; Alternative Recoil Management, The Wedge and The Press. Most students see considerable improvement in there barricade shooting within a couple hours. These are the techniques I learned and developed while shooting PRS Matches the past 6 years. We will also do long range prone shooting with students acting as shooters and spotters so we can get the best wind reading experience possible in the time we have.
    We will also cover match shooting drills both prone and barricade on day two, formatted as a small mini-match. This is where we will test what you learned and start to build the process of calm repeatability in your process.
    All students will sign a liability waiver release and each student will be responsible for their actions. We operate a cold range, no firearms will be loaded at any time, and your instructor will be the only one who tells you when to load your firearm and that will only happen when we are on the firing line with rifles pointed down range. A safety brief will be given both days.
    Make sure your equipment and ammunition is safe in your firearm, have your rifles zeroed and your turret zeroed at 100 yards.
    Typical cartridges are non-magnums from 6mm thru 30caliber. Please no cartridges that are over 3150 fps.
    If the range provides lunch we will take a short break, if not bring your own and we will eat on the range.
    Limited to 10 students, first come first serve by email registration, A non-refundable deposit of 50% of class fee is due 2 weeks after registration. The remaining balance is due 3 weeks prior to the class. -Jim See-

Actually hoping to make it to the site this summer for a pistol/handgun class. A good friend of mine is an instructor there, and he has really good things to say about the shooting facilities, and the lodge.

Actually hoping to make it to the site this summer for a pistol/handgun class. A good friend of mine is an instructor there, and he has really good things to say about the shooting facilities, and the lodge.
    A group of friends and myself went there for a Bachelor Party, we liked it soo much we went back 2 more times. Jim Kauber is a top notch dude and has some hilarious 1 liners. lol

Hey Sheep, I work frequently around Chicago and am also a member at the MTC (100yd to 1060yd range) in Lake City MI. If you ever want to visit or shoot for a day, I'd be happy to coordinate a day to have you up as a guest (passes are $25 for day for guest accompanied by member).

Another option is Young's Longshot (50-1000yds) in NW Indiana. Should be about 3 hours from CHI.

I live near Grand Rapids MI but travel to Chicago almost every other week. If you'd ever want to meet up when I'm in your area, let me know. Send me a PM with any questions.