• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Top four "switch caliber" precision rifle systems?

Milf Dots

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 21, 2019
The practicality of a switch caliber precision rifle system interests me greatly, but I'm still doing research on the choices. Here are what I think are the top four currently available production rifle systems that appear to be thoroughly vetted (that's the key factor- a proven vetted system), but I want your opinion on this- what other systems should be on the list? I'm only looking to list rifles that are quickly caliber swapped (and easily headspace checked by owner if necessary). Feel free to change the order 1 - 4, and Thanks in advance!

ETA: I'm Left Handed

1) AI
2) Barrett
3) Sako TRG
4) McMillan TAC

Last edited:
Why not just put together what you want with something like a Bighorn TL3?
I’ll vote for this

Also, hopefully someone that uses the ARC Barloc system will chime in. That’s something I’m seriously considering using at some point

Last edited:
Reactions: Travis224
Post-14 AI AXSA and AT is simply 1 4mm hex head cap screw loosened and the barrel threads and new barrel threads in. Tighten 4mm capscrew and with a properly chambered barrel, you are 0 - 0.002" on headspace. If you want to go to a different length/head diameter cartridge, you need an AXMC or AXSR.

Terminus Zeus is 2 set screws to loosen then unthread the barrel and replace. Headspace is similar to AI in that as long as the chamber was cut to spec, you will be well inside headspace specs. If you want a different cartridge length/diameter, the Zeus comes LA or SA and has different bolt faces.

Last edited:
Reactions: 16 Gauge
Why does everyone have the need to change barrels in 2.5 seconds? I always laugh at these threads where guys have to have it FAST! You go Ricky Bobby. Lol

And most all of the custom actions have shouldered prefit barrels that you just screw in and headspace is set already in the chambering. No need for go/no go gauges like if using a nut.

Switch caliber rifle is for the poor can’t afford to buy multi rifle. Lol I’m just kidding. I own AI, not regret

Why does everyone have the need to change barrels in 2.5 seconds? I always laugh at these threads where guys have to have it FAST! You go Ricky Bobby. Lol

And most all of the custom actions have shouldered prefit barrels that you just screw in and headspace is set already in the chambering. No need for go/no go gauges like if using a nut.

On the go!

Attachments

• 1585999847563.png
    1585999847563.png
    372.3 KB · Views: 193
On the go!

Yup can clamp to bench easily too if needing to swap at the range. Not 2.5 seconds Ricky Bobby fast but works fine if you have 10 minutes.

A tikka can swap the whole action in 30 seconds.

Its a $10k budget for ASR contract rifle (with spare caliber kits),
you can buy alot of tikkas barreled actions for this money.

Before you buy a .mil rifle whos spare bolts and barrels cost more than
complete rifles, think about what you really want to achieve.

I feel like people use the 2.5 second time frame as an example of how simple it is rather than a handy feature of ultra fast barrel changes.

Biggest advantage to such a simple system is that you can do it in the field with almost no tools.
I have wrench flats machined into my Tikka barrels and can/have changed barrels in the field, with a torque wrench and a crows foot.

It's not like it's something many people do on a regular basis but if you were to do so the AI would be the way to go.

I second the Zeus probably the best bang for your buck super fast barrel changes and you can choose your chassis of choice.

DTAs are nice but you really have to get used to them. I have tried them twice and just don't care for them.

And the OP is a lefty which will make it even harder with the bullpup design. DTA makes nice rifles but not for everyone.

Reactions: Adam B
I feel like people use the 2.5 second time frame as an example of how simple it is rather than a handy feature of ultra fast barrel changes.

Biggest advantage to such a simple system is that you can do it in the field with almost no tools.
I have wrench flats machined into my Tikka barrels and can/have changed barrels in the field, with a torque wrench and a crows foot.

It's not like it's something many people do on a regular basis but if you were to do so the AI would be the way to go.

And I get that but having been around long enough and seeing too many people, including myself, looking at these cool features they think they need and limiting to certain choices because of them and then buying them and never using the cool feature. How many people are honestly doing barrel swaps in the field? Really?

Just trying to get the OP to think a little and not limit himself to certain rifles that he thinks are what he needs but he can actually possibly be better with something else if he looks. Shouldered prefit barrels for actions are no longer the thing of certain companies like AI. Most custom actions can do the same thing. He might find better features or ease of finding a stock or chassis which feels better for him instead of settling for something because of a cool feature.

I've only used AI and DTA, but DTA doesn't belong in the list, I'm a total negative nancy on DTA.

The OP asked for a precision rifle, and the DTA looks cool in video games but doesn't always shoot, as in 'click' and no bang. Service is generally terrible and I finally sold mine after my teammate for team challenges and the SAC named it 'Don't Take Anywhere'. The SRS was rolled out and sold to customers long before it was ready, the service was crummy, and you got to pay to make it work, sometimes.

After switching to AI, there really isn't a comparison. I mean prices are similar and you can change the size of the tube on the front of the gun.

Reactions: secondofangle2
Any action with shouldered prefits available for it, the corresponding bolt and a HS gauge.

Any of the newer actions that take prefits 100% fit into this role, and more importantly are a part in the total platform, letting you build the rifle you want around it.

That’s a major drawback to platforms like the DT & AI rifles... you’re stuck with that layout. No dozens of options on stocks & triggers.

I used the Desert Tech SRS-A1 platform for a few years and I really liked how comapct the rifle was and how easy it was to swap barrels. After a while I decided that I really have zero need for for 338 Lapua and I could probably get by with just short action cartridges in general. Plus I always felt that, for what you pay, the SRS action is pretty clunky and the mags are straight up hot garbage. So I picked up an AI AX308 this summer and it has been absolutely awesome. Easy barrel swaps, smooth action that's built like a tank, awesome AW/AX mags. This thing is perfection in my mind.
I personally switch barrels quite a bit, I have the factory 308, a bartlien 6.5 creed and a bartlien 6 dasher. I swap at the range when testing different loads and sometimes swap before leaving my house depending on what I'm using it for that day. I have one baseline barrel and record my offsets. Just my personal opinions on these 2 rifles.

The only factory switch barrel rifle that intrigues me more than the AI is the Sako TRG M10, simply because I owned a TRG-22 for many years and it was my favorite action and trigger. But unless I win the lottery, I won't be buying one anytime soon because up in Canada they make AI's look cheap!

I am just getting ready to dive into this. I have a LA and SA that accept prefits (Bighorn,Impact) but my first barrel swap is a few months down the road.
However this may allow me to downsize a bit, which would be a good thing in the long run.

I don't have a platform recommendation.. but do have a shiny new SAC barrel vise and modular action wrench at the ready. Guess I need to purchase a decent torque wrench too!

I’ll vote for this

Also, hopefully someone that uses the ARC Barloc system will chime in. That’s something I’m seriously considering using at some point

I use the Barloc with Savage prefit barrels, it takes a few minutes to switch using witness marks and you have to rezero but I like it as it is much easier than breaking out the vice as all I need is a small wrench with a Borka torque limiter on it.

A couple weeks ago I just swapped my hunting rifle from a 6.5 PRC to a .300 Win Mag to a smokeless muzzleloader back to the .300 Win Mag and it may be getting changed from a 26” WM down to a 20”. All of this was done sitting at a kitchen table using the witness marks and double checking with the headspace gauges.

Reactions: The D
Do you want a switch barrel that can go from a SA to LA? Check out the new Hoplite thread... worth a look. Lefty coming out as well

Reactions: Bradv86

Agreed.

The advantage of the quick "switch barrel" setup is overstated. I also think the ability to change out barrels at the range is overstated. I would prefer to have dedicated rifles then having to change out barrels, bolts, mags, etc., between strings of fire, and having to re-zero the rifle.

Any rifle is a switch barrel setup - you just need a couple of tools/items and any rifle barrel can be changed out in a matter of minutes.

There's no free lunch. Systems designed for "quick" barrel changes introduce more parts into the system then a shouldered barrel, and thus there's more potential for failure/shifts in POA/POI. A set screw is not going to provide the same level of security and retention then a shouldered barrel torqued at ~75-100 ft-lbs. And not all switch barrel systems are built equally.

Reactions: Smokin7s and DIBBS
If you want a hunting rifle that will switch calibers quickly with all factory stuff, you could consider the Blaser R8
Everything from .22LR on up to the big dangerous game cartridges can be used.

Reactions: DetroitRearView
Good switch barrel systems don't require a re-zeroing the rifle, just the scope turrets. It should be repeatable like a good suppressor.

Reactions: reubenski
To the OP.. get what you want, it’s your money. Usually get the one that first got your attention. If not, you‘ll regret it later. If your someone who doesn’t like to sell things often like me, especially firearms. Then get the one you want. Most times, it’s not about function or ”bang for the buck” anyways. Could be aesthetics your after. But they all do the same thing, shoot a fucking bullet.
Oh on a side note, (I don’t own one, yet) I think the AI AXSR is the sexiest looking rifle out of all the multi cal platforms out. Well, that’s IMHO..

Yup just get the one that looks cool. Doesn't matter if it does what you want or not as cool looking is most important. Don't bother doing any homework or get people's opinions who have been doing this a long time. Just go spend money. Who cares if you waste it and the rifle just sits in the safe. LOL

• Haha
Reactions: ma smith and DIBBS
Another vote for the WTO switch lug. I’ve been really happy with mine! Having owned an AXMC and now the WTO TL3, they all will need to be zeroed after switching barrels.

I have a Zeus. I went out of state for training and wanted to do both 308 and 6gt and the quick swap was nice to have.

If I didn't care about the quick swap I would still go Zeus and just torque the barrels fully on.

I find the action incredibly smooth and wanted a 3 lug.

Reactions: Familydude