• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

top laser range finder for Long distance shooting

harry_x1

Khalsa
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2019
Hi there,
I am looking for recommendations about the best laser finder one can buy for long distance shootings. Budget is not a constraint. Would like to buy something that I dont regret later. Rifle I generally shoot from is AI AXMC 338 lapua.

thanks for your assistance.

Best
Harjeet

To get the best of the best you better have deep pockets and be military.

For some of those there is the vector 23 at $22000

For more normal expensive but not requiring to be military from the same company look at the Terrapin-x. $1800

You asked LOL! If you pose the question for "top" that's what you get. At $10,000 to $22,000 I would not just regret after but before and during, thinking about how many wonderful custom rigs i could have built for that. Plenty of decent range finders out there without getting a second mortgage, but if you ask for "top" these are the answers.

Reactions: harry_x1
I got to borrow a set of 3500 from Newconn Optics. Absolutely awesome laser. Etched reticle, and a selection of electronic reticles that can overlay. The laser itself is great! It can easily lase in a stubble field. Upon receipt on an 80+ degree day I shot the target I had up in the stubble field east of the house and it was right on at 900yds (which I lased and gps’ed). I looked to the north and lased my neighbor’s haystack at over 2750 yards.

I used it to set up my prs match last year and it worked really well. Biggest issue is the glass isn’t as good as it could be. I carried my binoculars to scan and glass and then would switch over to the Newconn to lase.

The new offering from Trijicon looks pretty amazing, no ETA other than some time in 2020. I believe the price is going to be around $8k. I also dont know if this will be sold in the civilian market.

The terrapin X is supposed to be really good in the “somewhat reasonable” price category.

Do most people
Tend to go with a gun mounted unit with a dedicated long range rifle or handheld?

Handheld. For my purposes I like my Nikon Black RangeX 4K I paid $349 for just fine. I've also got the Nikon Black Rangefinder Tripod Mount 16645 for it which I can dual mount with my spotting scope.

Last edited:
The new offering from Trijicon looks pretty amazing, no ETA other than some time in 2020. I believe the price is going to be around $8k. I also dont know if this will be sold in the civilian market.

The terrapin X is supposed to be really good in the “somewhat reasonable” price category.
If Trijicon isn’t going to sell that new LRF to the civilian market then they really need to fire their marketing department because the video is of two guys using it for hunting.....lol I didn’t know the military and LE hunt on official business?

If Trijicon isn’t going to sell that new LRF to the civilian market then they really need to fire their marketing department because the video is of two guys using it for hunting.....lol I didn’t know the military and LE hunt on official business?
Heck, here in Colorado our local police force has hunted everything from black bears to cougars, even some bison that escaped from a packing plant, they promptly got in trouble with Colorado Parks and Wildlife for shooting the black bears and cougars of course.

Take a look at the Vortex Fury 5000. Will range as far as you can shoot and cost $1200 or less.
Word on the street is the Vortex Fury is pretty much the Sig Kilo 3000 sans the built in ballistics calculator and the ability to connect to a Kestrel via Bluetooth. I’m not sure why anyone would choose the Fury over the Kilo 3000 for the same money.

Word on the street is the Vortex Fury is pretty much the Sig Kilo 3000 sans the built in ballistics calculator and the ability to connect to a Kestrel via Bluetooth. I’m not sure why anyone would choose the Fury over the Kilo 3000 for the same money.

Well the street is never wrong, right? LOL Wouldn't believe anything without actual proof.

Maybe some don't use a blue tooth Kestrel? I know I don't use a Kestrel blue tooth for data so it would be of no use for me. But I do use my equipment so I do know if anything happens the Fury is covered and it doesn't exclude electronics. It also covers electronic issues for more than 5 years like Sig.

But the good thing is people have choices now so they have to choose what works for them.

Reactions: harry_x1 and AIAW
Rule of thumb for a GOOD laser range finder is $1 per range-able yard.

So determine how far you actually want hit a man-sized target in normal or harsher conditions, bright light is a harsh condition for lasers.

it's a good standard to understand price vs effective rangefinding

My old Vectronix Terrapin was the perfect unit......until I lost it on a deer hunt. I will more than likely buy Terrapin X for my next ranging unit.

I also have an AI .338 and have been using the the PLRF 25c for over 5 years without issue. Yes its expensive but is rock solid and will range out passed 7K. I also shoot a 375CT and am able to range 40 inch steel out passed 3k when using a tripod. I did the buy once cry once. Good luck.

I have a Terrapin X for sale if you are interested PM me - (SOLD).

Only reason selling is the type of matches I shoot require Binos.

Of binos avail the only choice is the Sig BDX 3000. I have owned them all. Sold them all except the steiner 8x with the built in retc. that is very useful and I havnt been able to get rid of it. Cant decide which I like better.

GL
DT

Last edited:
Well the street is never wrong, right? LOL Wouldn't believe anything without actual proof.

Maybe some don't use a blue tooth Kestrel? I know I don't use a Kestrel blue tooth for data so it would be of no use for me. But I do use my equipment so I do know if anything happens the Fury is covered and it doesn't exclude electronics. It also covers electronic issues for more than 5 years like Sig.

But the good thing is people have choices now so they have to choose what works for them.

I don't have actual proof, but it doesn't seem all that disputed from what I can tell, not saying they are 100% identical, but I do believe they are close.

I will give you there is no dispute Vortex has the best warranty second to none. My point is other than Vortex having the better warrenty if everything else is equal why wouldn't someone choose the model that offers Bluetooth connectivity vs not for the same money. To me a 5 year warranty is good enough. I bet most guys will upgrade to the latest and greatest well before five years anyway. This is just my opinion and like assholes everyone has one. I agree choices are a great thing! :)

I used the Zeiss RF in matches and my partner at the CD matched use the Leica Binos

I don't think the Sig are the only choices

I guess Ill go be poor somewhere else ha but you can get the Sigs for roughly $1k less and the LRF is not only faster but can range as far if not further...so yes the only real choice...for poor people. Ha.

My partner uses the Zeiss (I sold mine) and they are a close second. They range very well but don't offer other features and are much more expensive. Ive seen over 5 leicas go down. Swaros are too $$$ and don't range as far.

The $1200 gap that the Vortex and Sigs fill is a godsend. Vortex don't have ballistics and so I sold mine and got the Sigs.

GL
DT

I don't have actual proof, but it doesn't seem all that disputed from what I can tell, not saying they are 100% identical, but I do believe they are close.

I will give you there is no dispute Vortex has the best warranty second to none. My point is other than Vortex having the better warrenty if everything else is equal why wouldn't someone choose the model that offers Bluetooth connectivity vs not for the same money. To me a 5 year warranty is good enough. I bet most guys will upgrade to the latest and greatest well before five years anyway. This is just my opinion and like assholes everyone has one. I agree choices are a great thing! :)

Not everyone uses blue tooth. It wouldn't sway me having it or not. Some have other wants and needs. Goes back to choices.

I am very happy with my Kilo 3000's have ranged steel silhouettes (18x30) over 1 mile and they are very clear for a pair of binoculars. I think they can be had for 800 or less. I wouldn't hesitate to buy them again

Same. Not a big BT fan myself. Even the newer “low-power” BT devices still pull batteries down too much for my liking. Just my poor “balance” between relying on electronics and not.

As dynamic as wind is and I don’t believe the Kestrel will transmit compass bearing data either - no good reason for the Kestrel to feed me data in real-time. If it had GPS, perhaps... I have other means for that. Still going to suck on those batteries though.

Note: I am speaking entirely from the aspect that I only retrieve data from a Kestrel, not input data into the Kestrel (in real-time). I do not use it as a primary ballistics calculator.

I have a Terrapin X for sale if you are interested PM me.

Only reason selling is the type of matches I shoot require Binos.

Of binos avail the only choice is the Sig BDX 3000. I have owned them all. Sold them all except the steiner 8x with the built in retc. that is very useful and I havnt been able to get rid of it. Cant decide which I like better.

GL
DT
Still have?

Leupold 2800, I cant tell ya how far away the moon is but it can easily ping non reflective surfaces out to 1600 meters. Sometimes you can find em for $500 if they go on sale.

Where are the Furies Made? What about the Sig?

Had a 1600B in the Past, Might have to try out the new 2800.coms

Sig’s warranty and customer service sucks balls. Moronic really. Vortex’s set the bar for both. If I buy Sig, I buy from Brownells and use there lifetime warranty rather than deal with the incompetence at sig. Which I had had to do. My experiences with Vortex customer service and warranty have been simply outstanding!

Vectronix couldn't pay me to drag their shit around today. For a $10,000 LRF "we don't work on 'em anymore" less than ten years later doesn't fucking cut it. Before you buy anything Vectronix, look at another thread on here about a guy looking for repair work on a PLRF10. Best recommendation I think was mine, "run a classified ad in H'ville AL for an electrical engineer looking for a challenge and hold your breath". Now they come out with a new model. Fuck them, literally unbelievable. And were it not for their cost and the fact I got a divorce around then, I probably would have saved for a PLRF25.

Newcon Optic used to make some serious shit but I looked on their site and they only have the 2km models now? They may have something interesting worth looking at though, they make some other interesting and unique gear.

Now and again a MELIOS or PVS6 will pop up on here or on Ebay. There was a guy selling one here a while back, I just couldn't afford it and had just got an LRF, but that one was 7x, built in NV, GPS and computer compatible, it can also take your position and give distance and azimuth and elevation to the target. Total bad ass. Also eyesafe. ~$4k is what he wanted. Same on Ebay for another one.

I scored this, a Grumman Mk5, in damn near new condition:
IMG_0875.JPG

That whole package cost me $1126 BTW, minus the PEQ and PVS. LRF was $400! Works to 10km and it is NOT eyesafe, hence why the military dumped 'em, brand new, back in 2001 when MELIOS came out with eyesafe laser. On the other hand, it can double as a blinding weapon if need be, it does contain a Class3 or maybe 4 cutting laser to get the job done. Other than safety issues, it's one bad motherfucker.

FWIW, you really wanna get an LRF that's good to twice the range you intend to use it at. This one will do 10km, but it'll do 5km spot fucking on. At 10km though, it's only off by something like 10m anyway. For $400, I can't bitch, they cost $10k new. And that's another thing: good LRF's are usually about $1 per meter for long range ones.

Be patient and keep looking on Ebay (note the one I got, he'd only had it up for five hours before I snagged it, they go fast).

I'm wondering if the OP has already found the perfect unit after all these recommendations. He has not posted since.

Maybe he bought the vector 23 and can no longer afford internet connection so that's why he has not chimed in.

@harry_x1
what did you end up getting?

• Haha
Hi,

Man, Stevie Wonder can see the writing on the wall with this one, lol....I am definitely not needed on this one, haha.

Sincerely,
Theis

Does everyone not understand the problem with trying to "help" someone unvetted, new and purposely acting like either agency troll, or worse yet someone real, offshore?

At least you should have some sort of plausible deniability.