• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Top scope brand that costs 4k+ keeps cracking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bsutton2010

Banhammer
Banned !
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2019
About 3 months ago I bought top of the line scope. (I don’t want to use the manufactures name because they’ve been great). I mounted it on my 6.5 creedmoor with ARC m-brave mount, torqued to 49inch pounds. (It’s the fixit sticks limiter I had). I took it out to shoot for the second time and after I took a shot the lens cracked. I’ve never dropped it or hit it on anything. I couldn’t figure out how it happened. Luckily the company fixed it no questions asked. I walked about wondering if it was because I went from warm to cold and that’s what caused the crack (who really knows)… but here’s where things have done south…it happened again today. Same situation. Going from hot to cold and shooting for prone. It cracked on the 3rd shot. I’m speechless. The mag ring, parallax ring all move freely. There’s not a scratch or ding on the scope. No ring marks. Has anyone seen something like this or have any good ideas? This scope is one of the top 3 brands..

Before people tell me 49inch pounds is too much. Look up American rifle company rings. The manufacturer of this scope recommends them. It’s a singe screw so the torque is higher. I’ve already confirmed with another to torque limiter that it’s dead on.

I use ted’s recommended torque for his rings
Never had any issues.
Be interesting to hear what scope it is.
Yeah I’ve used these rings on every scope brand even up to 55inch pounds. Never had an issue. It’s weird for sure.

Reactions: seaflar
I guess I’ll go reread the directions on the M-Brace I just installed a couple days ago, that holds my unbroken scope torqued to manufacturers recommended limit…🤷‍♂️
Apparently you can’t read. I’ve got these rings on 7 other $3k+ scopes. And I’ve talked to Ted the designer. Never had an issue till now. Nothing can be said to make you realize your wrong so just stay out of this.

C01A5363-AAEB-45B6-8F58-0B7BF98A3276.jpeg

to me the instructions read tighten rail clamp screws to 55. In the photo it clearly shows the rail clamp screws are the bottom ones.

I will admit I could be wrong be cause I do not own a set and I am not positive.

Objective could be explained by barrel wacking the scope if it was mounted really close.
But for the Ocular to be cracking, unless it's something really brutal like a SCAR or an air rifle, it would seem the ring mounting is the next option.
The torque specs do seem to be way higher than anybody else recommends by a factor of more than 2x

Once you get the scope back from being repaired again, do you have a more traditional set of rings you could try to see if that fixes the issue?

Apparently you can’t read. I’ve got these rings on 7 other $3k+ scopes. And I’ve talked to Ted the designer. Never had an issue till now. Nothing can be said to make you realize your wrong so just stay out of this.
It seems I was wrong. I apologize and await an answer.

*you’re😉

Last edited:
You I trust. Am I wrong? What does he recommend?
50-55
I think it used to be 60
It applies the force in a different way than standard ring so the cosine to get proper clamping force is I think +71%

He was talking smart person talk and I might have missed it a bit but it made sense.

I think I used the old spec of 60 on all of mine.
I love those rings.

Last edited:
I love cryptic shit posts that lack information on who, what, when, where, and why. They really add value to this forum and give the reader useful information that they may act on.
Don’t want to throw the manufacture under the bus yet

Objective could be explained by barrel wacking the scope if it was mounted really close.
But for the Ocular to be cracking, unless it's something really brutal like a SCAR or an air rifle, it would seem the ring mounting is the next option.
The torque specs do seem to be way higher than anybody else recommends by a factor of more than 2x

Once you get the scope back from being repaired again, do you have a more traditional set of rings you could try to see if that fixes the issue?
I’ll try something else next time. Just a bummer cause I’ve used these rings for years on all different brands and never had an issue. The torque on the rings =20inch pounds but this mount only has 1 screw.

Reactions: Stoweit
Don’t want to throw the manufacture under the bus yet
Then why start a thread about it? If you're not willing to actually state what happened why even talk about it?

I have a scope (nobody's knows what kind), I torqued it into some rings (you did mention ARC), the scope shit the bed ( the manufacturer has been great), I torqued the replacement scope down and broke it again.

You understand that that makes you look like a retard that doesn't understand torque values right?

Then why start a thread about it? If you're not willing to actually state what happened why even talk about it?

I have a scope (nobody's knows what kind), I torqued it into some rings (you did mention ARC), the scope shit the bed ( the manufacturer has been great), I torqued the replacement scope down and broke it again.

You understand that that makes you look like a retard that doesn't understand torque values right?
Bahah get out of here buddy. The manufacturer calls for a higher torque value. If it bothers you just stay off.

I would suspect this particular mount could be causing the issue. One scope, sure. But another right after... The odds of two different scopes back to back makes me think it's not the scope regardless of manufacturer. Enough people use ARC and high end scopes where this would have surely come up before. Maybe isolated to this specific mount you have. I would be looking elsewhere now after cracking two scopes glass. No threadlocker on the screw right?

If they aren’t
I would suspect this particular mount could be causing the issue. One scope, sure. But another right after... The odds of two different scopes back to back makes me think it's not the scope regardless of manufacturer. Enough people use ARC and high end scopes where this would have surely come up before. I would be looking elsewhere now after cracking two scopes glass. No threadlocker on the screw right?
nope. What’s crazy is i have two of these scopes the other with the same mount and it’s perfectly fine. Doesn’t make sense. Going to change rings just to avoid the pain in the ass sending it back is.

I think that may be what he meant with "this particular mount" as in your other mounts of this brand/type may be fine. But maybe this one is fucked. But since we don't have any details everyone is just guessing anyways.

I would suspect this particular mount could be causing the issue. One scope, sure. But another right after... The odds of two different scopes back to back makes me think it's not the scope regardless of manufacturer. Enough people use ARC and high end scopes where this would have surely come up before. Maybe isolated to this specific mount you have. I would be looking elsewhere now after cracking two scopes glass. No threadlocker on the screw right?
Sounds like same scope both times. Manufacturer repaired original scope and it happened again in the same mount.

Status
Not open for further replies.