• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Top tier 6mm ARC barrels

redneckbmxer24

Four Star General
Minuteman
  • Jan 15, 2005
    Gulf Coast, FL
    Against my better judgement I want to put together a 6mm ARC. I’ll be rebarreling one of my Larue Match uppers that has a 13” HG and will be running a Superlative GB that likely won’t fit in the rail so it needs to be a rifle +1 gas system to sit out in front of the HG. I’d like to stick to an 18” barrel. Proof makes exactly what I want and is on the shelf and I haven’t totally decided against one, but with some of their recent QC I’m thinking about trying something else.

What I want: high quality barrel preferably cut rifled 18” .750 rifle + 1 5/8-24 threads.

What I don’t want: Garbage. Nothing from Faxon, BA, Rainier, etc. I don’t mind a wait but I also don’t want to wait a year for a barrel.

Normally I’d get a Craddock but they don’t offer rifle +1 in an 18” and don’t offer Rock Creek in an 18” and I’d prefer not a Bartlein.

Keystone does Kriegers which is high on my list but I haven’t called yet to ask about length and gas system options and they don’t list it on the site that I can find.

CLE does what I want in a Douglas option which I would be ok with but I’d prefer a cut rifled barrel. Not sure if they can do a Krieger since they don’t list them on the site for 6ARC.

Are there any others I should be looking at?

Reactions: jh2785
    My 20" Proof carbon 6ARC barrel shoots great. My buddy has the same barrel bought 6 months later and it shoots identical to mine. Both were purchased in 2022.

I’ve had a bunch of Proof barrels and every one has shot great. That is not the point of this post, I want something else.

I’ve had a bunch of Proof barrels and every one has shot great. That is not the point of this post, I want something else.

You're shitty at communicating what you actually want if it wasn't an open ended question for what else you should be looking at.

"Are there any others I should be looking at?"

The answer is Proof is as good as anything you listed. It's in stock. Stop dicking around.

You're shitty at communicating what you actually want if it wasn't an open ended question for what else you should be looking at.

"Are there any others I should be looking at?"

The answer is Proof is as good as anything you listed. It's in stock. Stop dicking around.

I am? I literally recognized that proof makes it and it’s on the shelf but that I want to try something else. Not my problem you can’t fucking read.

I think you kind of have 2 options. The expensive custom route or the cheaper mass produced, which proof is in that category. I have some proof barrels but they are relegated to practice and classes. They arent where they need to be for comps.
    e
    Craddock would be my first choice, not sure why you are adverse to bartlien, there is nothing better out there. Maybe find a Krieger, Brux or Benchmark blank and send it in to craddock?

I am in the same boat. Convert a 6.5g larue upper or sell it and build a new one in 6 arc. Leaning heavily towards building a new one based on a seekins upper/rail (can load the rail unlike ones hanging off barrel nut) and a craddock bartlien.

CLE does what I want in a Douglas option which I would be ok with but I’d prefer a cut rifled barrel. Not sure if they can do a Krieger since they don’t list them on the site for 6ARC.

I don't know if it's your Asperger's kicking in more than normal but just about everything you've posted in this thread is incorrect.

CLE can do anything you want, same with Craddock you just need to use a fucking phone and make a call. CLE doesn't have any 6mm Bartlein or Krieger blanks in stock at the moment but should be arriving soon.

As for your reasons for choosing a Rifle +1 gas system, you're assumption is incorrect the a SA AGB will fit under the handguard just fine.

This is a 18" Bartlein 6.5G with a .750 gas block with Rifle Length Gas from Craddock.

IMG_20230224_110024478~3.jpg
    IMG_20230224_110243320~2.jpg
    IMG_20230101_004311410.jpg
    IMG_20230101_004142091~2.jpg

Krieger has been having some serious QC issues as of late so your best option for a blank is Bartlein, and that's what you're gonna get if ordering from Craddock.

At this point it's clear you need take a break from your daily window licking and maybe eat some crayons to calm your mind and start actually thinking this through. You're the one who is asking/needing help so maybe talking to people with a little more respect might also be a good idea as well.

Last edited:
    I don't know if it's your Asperger's kicking in more than normal but just about everything you've posted in this thread is incorrect.

CLE can do anything you want, same with Craddock you just need to use a fucking phone and make a call. CLE doesn't have any 6mm Bartlein or Krieger blanks in stock at the moment but should be arriving soon.

As for your reasons for choosing a Rifle +1 gas system, you're assumption is incorrect the a SA AGB will fit under the handguard just fine.

This is a 18" Bartlein 6.5G with a .750 gas block with Rifle Length Gas from Craddock.

View attachment 8256173View attachment 8256174View attachment 8256175View attachment 8256176

Krieger has been having some serious QC issues as of late so your best option for a blank is Bartlein, and that's what you're gonna get if ordering from Craddock.

At this point it's clear you need take a break from your daily window licking and maybe eat some crayons to calm your mind and start actually thinking this through.

CLE and Craddock neither have the options on their website. Sorry for assuming they were capable of listing options correctly on their websites.

A superlative clamp on will not fit under the Larue HG. I tried. As soon as I snugged the HG up it contacted the bottom.

I don’t want a Bartlein barrel and won’t buy another one and it’s not worth getting into an argument with a bunch of mouth breathers as to why.

In all fairness, it would be impossible for them to have every option listed online. They are custom shops. Give them a call , they are responsive and can answer any question you have. They have standing orders for certain profile blanks, but you can always supply your own.

Reactions: jh2785

View attachment 8256173View attachment 8256174View attachment 8256175View attachment 8256176

At this point it's clear you need take a break from your daily window licking and maybe eat some crayons to calm your mind and start actually thinking this through. You're the one who is asking/needing help so maybe talking to people with a little more respect might also be a good idea as well.

Rekt.

In all fairness, it would be impossible for them to have every option listed online. They are custom shops. Give them a call , they are responsive and can answer any question you have. They have standing orders for certain profile blanks, but you can always supply your own.

I’ll give CLE a call later today and see what they say.

I got in touch with Keystone, they have a Krieger on the shelf but recommend against +1 on an 18” and don’t bead blast or cerakote and I don’t want to have to send it to a second shop to get it finished so they’re out.

I spoke to CLE, they do have Bartleins in stock despite what the all knowing says, but no Kriegers. They said they can do a Krieger if I order a 1.25 straight blank from bugholes.

I'm going with a CLE Douglas SPR with +1 gas and headspaced JP bolt. $600 + tax and shipping 10-12 week lead time.

Reactions: Blaster7Romeo
    This 👆

Some of the better known shops like Craddock, CLE and Precision Firearms Inc do not have the most up to date or sophisticated websites ...... b/c they're efforts our put into machining barrels in the shop. They can go full custom for whatever you want (you pick the blank, which already comes with whatever twist), then select chambering, contour, platform (AR15, bolt gun), gas length, threads, finish, etc. I recently ordered a what I call an 'M110 profile' barrel in 6.5 CM from Precision Firearms Inc. The owner / person doing the work texts back and forth with me, his helper took payment, it was easy peasy.....but you have to call em.

Reactions: Westcoast308
    I'd add X-Caliber to the options you might want to consider. Significantly better than BA, Faxon, etc. but not near the cost or lead time as Craddock or CLE. Mine has been sub moa for two factory Hornady loads. Are you capable of shooting the difference between a Craddock, CLE and X-Caliber? X-Caliber routinely posts sales on major holidays, so expect one for roughly 20 or 30 percent off on Black friday. I'm totally pleased with my X-Caliber barrel. They delivered mine quicker than their advertised lead time as well.

6mm_ARC_Rifle_First-Shots.jpg

I'll add another vote for X-Caliber, I've had a trio of barrels from them so far, and the quality of the work on every single one has been excellent. The carbon wrapped 6.5 Creedmoor Ruger Precision barrel I got off them is shooting bugholes with hand loads from a lead sled off a concrete bench. had to go out a fair distance to get a reading on actual group, it was 1/5 MoA

Heard a lot of great stuff about x-caliber. Bought a carbon wrapped barrel from them from their recent sale.

Some guys in the 6 ARC facebook group that have put many thousands of rounds downrange recommended x-caliber as well.

Reactions: Capri_Man
    Craddock Ready To Rock “RTR” barrels?

And with your x caliber do you have to custom order? Or do they have a ready Pre-mades?

I don’t see anybody talk about the ready to rock barrel from Craddock. Everybody on here is talking about the Bartleins? Course those are custom done. Are the ones they have ready to go worth it.?

Wanted 20” 6arc.. they have 22”. Any thoughts? Is there barrel worth that or should I just go buy a ballistic advantage?

Wanted 20” 6arc.. they have 22”. Any thoughts? Is there barrel worth that or should I just go buy a ballistic advantage?
    I’m have an 18” Shaw SS barrel in the PX with rifle gas tube. It is as accurate as the Proof CF I replaced it with. Low rounds. Great barrel. No wait.

Heard a lot of great stuff about x-caliber. Bought a carbon wrapped barrel from them from their recent sale.

Some guys in the 6 ARC facebook group that have put many thousands of rounds downrange recommended x-caliber as well.

Just caught the tail end of the sale last night, ordered an 18” 6 arc. I might try one of their carbon bolt gun barrels at some point too. Thanks for the heads up.

Reactions: godofthunder
    Just caught the tail end of the sale last night, ordered an 18” 6 arc. I might try one of their carbon bolt gun barrels at some point too. Thanks for the heads up.
    Shucks I looked on the webpage and didn’t see any sale… must’ve sold all of their ARC barrels cause there’s none on there anymore.

They list multiple different barrel lengths, and also profiles.. it just seems like there are gas block, lengths seem kind of short, but then again, I’ve never looked at the schematics of a AR barrel…. I’m not sure where they take the measurement.?? is it from the end of the extension to the gas port or is it the barrel not including the barrel extension to the gas port??

Obviously something I didn’t know is plus one is literally a rifle length +1 inch and that gives you the gas to length of a +1…or 16.1inch approx..

Attachments

• IMG_1657.png
      IMG_1657.png
      379.9 KB · Views: 39
    • IMG_1659.jpeg
      IMG_1659.jpeg
      340.7 KB · Views: 25
    Shucks I looked on the webpage and didn’t see any sale… must’ve sold all of their ARC barrels cause there’s none on there anymore.

Sale was over a few days ago. They don’t have any stock you have to order it.

Well, I received my barrel from (will not say) and it looks like the chambering job ???? The lands start from mid and one side … and the other lands start from right off the chamber. Would that not force a bullet wonky? From the brass ?The crown doesn’t look smooth as it has cracks off the lands on exit…I would think that matters? The gas tube although looked pretty good, actually really good how they got in there and cleaned it up It’s got a burr on the exit as the bullets leaving, and I have that on proof barrel, and it never went away. end up grabbing bullets. The Craddock gas hole looked very similar to my proof (burr ) and that looks to be still there (on my proof barrel)and ended up doing is peeling the burr over into the lands. It looks like I’ve got a lot of copper jacket material where the burr peeled over remaining not saying that it’ll happen on this one but I think I’m sending this one back.
    shit happens so I’m by no means slashing these guys I’ll send them an email or talk to them. I’m sure they’re gonna take care of it so I’m sure I’ll be good. These guys are solid as it comes so please don’t let this you change your mind .

I had just gotten my borescope and a couple of barrels …had to go through the new one as I didn’t want to put any rounds through it and deal with any sort of return issues after

This is a Craddock RTR?

I spoke to the guys over at Craddock precision and apparently a lot of the stuff is variance in the RC barrels. You’re dealing with thousands of an inch so he said it shouldn’t make any difference You’re dealing with the button going through the barrel at 30 seconds for a rock Creek and 45 minutes for a Bartlein and the Bartlein 5R Cut Rifled Blanks also does a hand honing or whatever they call it be in between the cutting. It’s just not even in the same category. He said that that won’t make a difference for the most part so we’ll see I was going to send it back. He said go and shoot it the way it is and report back so that’s what I’ll do.

Last edited:
    Reactions: bigjake83
    I spoke to the guys over at Craddock precision and apparently a lot of the stuff is variance in the RC barrels. You’re dealing with thousands of an inch so he said it shouldn’t make any difference You’re dealing with the button going through the barrel at 30 seconds for a rock Creek and 45 minutes for a Bartlon and the Barton also does a shines or whatever they call it be in between the cutting. It’s just not even in the same category. He said that that won’t make a difference for the most part so we’ll see I was going to send it back. He said go and shoot it the way it is and report back so that’s what I’ll do.

I was just typing that, Paul is a stand up guy. I'd definitely put at least 100-200rds down range before forming a option. If it's not a shooter, he'll make it right.

Yeah that’s why I deleted all the pictures this is the only the second barrel I looked at. Easier to see the variances with a brand new cut barrel then one that hasn’t been put a few down the tube.
    I’m really interested to see what my Shilen 17 rem ar 15 barrel looks like and my Rainer 223 barrel….. it’ll be interesting to compare

My proof barrel looks like it’s got a lot of carbon @ the junction of case neck and head. I’m working on getting that out, and I’ll test it with regard to if it makes it shoot any better if it doesn’t then it’s possible that there’s something else going on with it…. I may just give proof a call that’s probably the easiest way.

Yeah that’s why I deleted all the pictures this is the only the second barrel I looked at. Easier to see the variances with a brand new cut barrel then one that hasn’t been put a few down the tube.
    I’m really interested to see what my Shilen 17 rem ar 15 barrel looks like and my Rainer 223 barrel….. it’ll be interesting to compare

My proof barrel looks like it’s got a lot of carbon @ the junction of case neck and head. I’m working on getting that out, and I’ll test it with regard to if it makes it shoot any better if it doesn’t then it’s possible that there’s something else going on with it…. I may just give proof a call that’s probably the easiest way.

Pick up some of Hoppes Black line of cleaning solvens, its amazing at removing Carbon and Copper and 100% safe on all stainless steels and Chrome moly.

You can take the nastiest, crustiest BCG spray it down and come back in an hour and it will wipe clean. It's the closest cleaning agent I've found that I would call scrub free.

Thier copper cleaner is just ss good. When I start barrel break in on a new AR barrel and I've got a chunk of copper starting to build up at the gas port, I soak a patch and run it to the gas part and leave it over night. Next morning the it's gone.

Hey thanks I’ll check that out. That’s fantastic.
    I wish I could get in there and get that goofy piece of folded over off the lands

Hey thanks I’ll check that out. That’s fantastic.
    I wish I could get in there and get that goofy piece of folded over off the lands

Just shoot the barrel, do a standard barrel break in cleaning regiment.

Caliber specific coated cleaning rod.
    Bore guide.

I do 6 passes with the bronze Brush with the Hoppes Black then push patches till the bore is free of any cleaning agent.

Shoot 1 clean
    Shoot 3 clean
    Shoot 6 clean
    Shoot 10 clean

If you have a bore scope that connects to your phone that you can take to the range bring it, if at any time you see a heavy copper deposit starting to build up at the gas port that's when I stop and push a patch soaked in the Hoppes Black Copper solvent to the gas port and let it sit over night and wait till my next range trip to continue.

My most recent Criterion barrel looks much better than that RTR and I paid less than $300 for it.

That looks terrible. The inside of the Criterion and Rainier UM I have both look substantially better. Craddock can claim it's Rock Creek's fault all they want but they cut the port and that looks like shit.

Picked up a 16” Proof. Rifle length gas, runs with an H1 buffer.

Haven’t shot a lot of groups, but very pleased so far. Shot 3 five round groups, two of them were in the .6-.7 moa range, the other was .9 with factory 108 ELD-M.

That looks terrible. The inside of the Criterion and Rainier UM I have both look substantially better. Craddock can claim it's Rock Creek's fault all they want but they cut the port and that looks like shit.
    so what’s your opinion about the overall cut of the barrel? have you looked down your barrel on a brand new one and does it have the same marks ? It seems like chatter but then again these are small little chatter, but it’s still chatter..

My proof barrel seem like it also would get brass buildup in the same area as the craddock did. I don’t know what a good gas block is supposed to look like because it seems like all of them end up with a burr that folds over towards the tip or the outgoing of the berral.

It gets real fuzzy like I can’t tell if the but burns out or if it folds over and never goes away.

The smooth barrel, which are the first I think three or four pictures have no chatter at all but then again I think Schilen riflings are not formed the same way.( I just don’t wanna look it up right now)

I would like to see the barrel of other customers that have the rock Creek barrels, and see if they all look the same (again I could be wrong because it could be very small, but it looks like they’re more than just small Killdozer tracks)

An update on my proof barrel after I cleaned it and got all the copper and almost saw the carbon out. It shot the best it ever shot.( In fact, all of the bullet holes tuched 5-rounds) Than went to shit soon after ( the bullet must be getting jacked from the gas port?)

Last edited:
    so what’s your opinion about the overall cut of the barrel? have you looked down your barrel on a brand new one and does it have the same marks ? It seems like chatter but then again these are small little chatter, but it’s still chatter..

My opinion is that barrel shouldn't have left the manufacturer.

Here is what an equivalent Criterion (308) looks like after 200 rounds.

1000004683.jpg

My opinion is that barrel shouldn't have left the manufacturer.

Here is what an equivalent Criterion (308) looks like after 200 rounds.

View attachment 8401794
    Wow…
    My proof has port that looks like that as well and after a few rounds down the tube the burr causes all kinds of accuracy issues. I guess the same with this one will happen if it is bouncing off the thing

Last edited:
    I have a 6.5G proof barrel with 2k rounds through it. The port looks like a tear drop. It doesn't accumulate copper though. All ports are going to erode. Starting off with what looks like a chamfer isn't going to help.

Here are a couple of gas port pictures to give you a sense of what is common. I don't have a 6ARC so these are different calibers.

Proof 6.5G, roughly 2k rounds, uncleaned. The erosion is filled with carbon. This barrel shoots, does not drift or string:
    1000004685.jpg

WOA Wilson 223Rem. 2.5k rounds, uncleaned:
    1000004686.jpg

Brand New Faxxon 5.56. Notice the tooling marks, they run the entire barrel.
    1000004688.jpg

Even the Faxxon port is round and unchamfered.

Reading this thread had me thinking about the Craddock 22 Arc RTR barrel I just bought. I've been shooting it for the last two weeks. Shot it at a match yesterday. Initially I got really good accuracy and then tried a couple other powders and did not get very good accuracy. It shot my old 22 Grendel load really well. I loaded that stuff up again. Same powder charge. Same bullet. Same seating depth, same brass, same neck tension and it was okay but not the same accuracy for some reason. Kind of scratched my head on that one. I cleaned it after the match last night and loaded up the 8208 load that it liked and was planning on taking it out to the range today to see how it was shooting because I kind of felt like it opened up at the match. It's got somewhere between 250 and 300 rounds on it at this point. I just went downstairs and looked at the gas port with a Hawkeye borescope and man, it is ugly. Huge erosion triangle It looks like to me. With a black oozing sludge pouring out of the gas port in the direction of the muzzle. The bore looks good enough to me and after three passes with a couple of wet patches of bortech eliminator and dry patches it looks pretty clean. But that gas port, woof. Now I'm thinking about just buying a shilen or a McGowan blank and having my gunsmith build me a 22 arc barrel.

I built up a light 6 ARC with an 18" Proof. Works great shoots good. Typically ~3/4" or slightly better 5 shot groups at 100 with Hornady Match. I have not fed it handloads yet but expect to shrink groups a tenth or two when I get to it.

I also built up a 6 ARC with a 22" Shaw. Many groups in the half inch range and the best under 0.4 with Berger 109s.

Reactions: Shoreglide
    Well, whether or not, it was the internal of the barrel lands or the gas port damaging the bullets on the way out. I just couldn’t get any good groups.

These are all hand loads with lever and up to the max amounts with no pressure signs barely shot 1 moa. All top grade parts and scopes that typically shoot very accurate.

Attachments

• IMG_1909.jpeg
      IMG_1909.jpeg
      802.4 KB · Views: 7
    • IMG_1911.jpeg
      IMG_1911.jpeg
      626.1 KB · Views: 9
    • IMG_1913.jpeg
      IMG_1913.jpeg
      542.6 KB · Views: 10
    • IMG_1916.jpeg
      IMG_1916.jpeg
      621.9 KB · Views: 9
    • IMG_1915.jpeg
      IMG_1915.jpeg
      516.7 KB · Views: 9
    • IMG_1917.jpeg
      IMG_1917.jpeg
      705.7 KB · Views: 10
    • IMG_1918.jpeg
      IMG_1918.jpeg
      643.9 KB · Views: 5
    • IMG_1919.jpeg
      IMG_1919.jpeg
      553.5 KB · Views: 9
    • image.jpg
      image.jpg
      441.9 KB · Views: 8
    This is shot with my bolt action 22 Creedmoor
    I didn’t even have the nice high-power scope on this to really get down to fine groups.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      466.9 KB · Views: 9
    • image.jpg
      image.jpg
      481 KB · Views: 7
    • image.jpg
      image.jpg
      555.9 KB · Views: 6