• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Torn about my final scope decision

fordsoldier

Just a dude, doing dude stuff.
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2005
Illinois
Well My wife is wanting to buy me a scope for my Remmy 308.

I have it narrowed down to

NF 3.5-15x50 NPR1 w/zero stop.

or

US Optics ST-10

ERGO Upgrade -
44mm Low Profile - Standard Option
EREK 1/4 MOA -
U.S. #1 M40 Style 1/4 MOA -
30mm - Standard Option
Matte Black Type III Hard Anodizing - Standard Option
MOA Scale Type 1 - Standard Option
Lo Profile Housing - Standard Option
Rapid Focus - Standard Option

I will be mainly for punching paper and steel. Any help would be great.

Re: Torn about my final scope decision

Just purchased the NF nsx 5.5-22x56 with mlr reticle,.1 mil radian knobs with zero stop.Has NF sunshade with USO ard honey comb and NF angle cos.indicator.Iam very impressed with is clarity and construction,now I just have to take the time to make it to the range.I do not know much about USO but everything I have heard about their optics has been excellent.You have a tough pick!I prefer variable power optics.

Sorta tough as the final power ranges are different and the st 10 isn't variable.

In essence you have two very different optics.

I have had the variable optics and fixed. I typically always preferred variable.

I'm a fan of smaller scopes, so I'd say think about the ST-10S. 10X with 37mm obj. EREK, and MOA reticle.

A friend here has one, and it is really nice. Kind of a 'someday' thing I want. Looking through it made my MK4 look kinda sick regarding clarity and brightness. Then the MOA reticle was right on the money whackin 1K steel with a reticle holdover. Fixed parallax set at 200 yards. Verrrry nice little scope.

I guess I should add I have had them both. In my opinion they are 2 very different scopes. Both very good and excellent choices.

You are also using mils for one and moa for the other. I guess it depends on your intended purpose. I would like a few more details in your final goal.

NF 3.5-15x50 NPR1 w/zero stop or the MLR and mil adjustments. I find that the extra power and variable ability are very useful.

I'm not knocking USO, but between a fixed 10x and a variable 15x it is not a hard choice for me.

Good luck with your decision.

My overall goal is to have a all purpose rifle thats is for punching paper and steel. I might also double as a deer rifle as well. But mainly paper and steel. out to 600 to 700 yrds.

This is what I have on the rifle as of now.

Rem 700 SPS V.
HS Precision Police stock
Devcon steel Bedded. "Thanks to 7mmRM DIY bedding wright up."
Timney trigger 1.5 ILBs
Badger 20 MOA Base
Badger Medium Rings
Duracoated in hk semi gloss black

Just Trying to pick out the glass for it now...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I might also double as a deer rifle as well.</div></div>

Now it is a no brainer...

3-15 NXS

Big +1 there, Weda'. If hunting is even a possibility, I'd go with a variable power every time.

Hell i wish my wif was wanting to buy me a new scope.Espicially a uso.If and this is abig if my wife bought me a new scope i would be lucky to get a 39.95 wal-mart special(haha)You are alucky man.

I love my ST10.
I have two rifles with USO type1 moa reticles. If I were to do it over again I'd get one of their other moa reticles, as the bare top verticle line on the reticle precludes hold-unders, and its easier to accurately spot hits for other shooters.

If the NF were FFP with the NPR1 and zerostop I'd have a hard time recommending against it though.

You have a great wife for sure.

well I am getting the 2fp still I cant pass up the price a vender gave me...

Good scope nonetheless.
When you get it take it and a yardstick out and at 100 measured yards mark your power ring where it subtends correctly, half value and (a little trick I learned from a shooter at TPRC09) where it subtends mils.

NF all the way, but I would go with MLR/MilRad, when look at which angular measurement is easier to use and range with Mils wins

There has been some awesome deals on variable sn3's the last few weeks right here
on the Hide, why not get the best of both worlds?