• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Torn on which AI to get.....used and new

clubmanager

Private
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
Considering a couple of used AT's and a used AXSA but with the Eurooptic sale, I can get a new AT with folder at a great price with sales tax included.

Does the AXSA offer any real advantages over the AT's?

I have no plans to compete and really like the AT for my needs but the AXSA is sexy AF. Still, I think I'll only pay more for it if it brings some advantages operationally.

I'd second the AT-X recommendation, at $4,250 that's going to be the best AI option.

Reactions: clubmanager
No, I meant the AT....but now you've got me thinking I'm on the wrong path? I had read that the AT-X would be preferable over the AT if one wants to compete so I discounted that option.

I'd get a ATX. Different chassis, not the ugly clubfoot skins that everyone upgrades to the thumbhole stocks for. The action sits lower in the chassis, it has a competition trigger and barrel contour is bigger as well. I don't care about shooting comps, but I would pick a ATX over a AT all day. Then add all the top cover, rails and higher base to match because the stock ATX is fugly as hell.

Aesthetics:
With aesthetics being most important, you can’t beat the green thumbhole AT in the short action category. For a long action, the sexiest award goes to the elite sand thumbhole AXMC-LE.

Usability:
With the sawtooth or RRS palm replacement, the AXSA wins out over the AT. The AXSA also closes over the bolt handle, which could only be done if you pop the AX buttstock on the AT (aka the AT-LE). AXSA also doesn’t need tools for stock adjustments.

I went through this same debate awhile back because Mile High had some awesome deals. I ended up going elite sand AXSR, because I’m a man of class, but if I were doing a short action, it would be a tough decision right now between ATX and AXSA. I like the ability to break everything all the way down and the AXSR arca is great, so the ATX would probably get my vote. …but I would also cut the forend down like the “new” border patrol model.

Reactions: beetroot
If you plan to do any hunting then the AT chassis is much nicer in the hand and less stabby bits for carrying slung.
The AT + thumbhole is also damn sexy so is the way I'd go.

The classic AT/AW look is very hard to beat and you won't be making use of the added benfits of the AT-X. The AXSA would only be worth buying if you intended to use the added features.

The way I see the models is:
AT: classis AI look, does what it says on the tin
AT-X: obvious choice if planning to shoot PRS
AXSA: just buy the AXMC, AT or AT-X

Considering a couple of used AT's and a used AXSA but with the Eurooptic sale, I can get a new AT with folder at a great price with sales tax included.

Does the AXSA offer any real advantages over the AT's?

I have no plans to compete and really like the AT for my needs but the AXSA is sexy AF. Still, I think I'll only pay more for it if it brings some advantages operationally.
The AT-X solves the AXSA and the AT's, minor yet there, issue of the high center of gravity when shooting off a bag. I believe the fore end will take a 1.25'' but you will have less clearance than what you have on a AXSA (prob search that big AT-X thread for that answer)

You get integrated ARCA and Sawtooth rifles can get you the foreend milled for the RRS R-Lock in short order. Im not a fan of the AI comp trigger but you get that too. Better grip interface too.

On the short action side of the house i think the AT-X is the best AI got at the moment

The AT with thumbhole is the holy grail. If your into the AW style like me. I own an AT, ATX and had an AXMC

If I had to sell every gun the AT would be the last in my safe

But with the ATX sale (if it’s still going) is hard to beat. But shopping the px here leaves more room to play with $$ and usually comes with add ons for both like I have. Neither in my opinion will be left stock form regardless. AT needs a few things and I have a preference for enclosed forend for the ATX which is an add on immediately for myself
IMG_5947.jpeg

Y'all aren't making this any easier ;) and yes, I do love that thumbhole stock look. As someone pointed out (and I should have added), I'd like to use this for hunting. It's not necessary as I've others from which to choose but nice to have the option should I choose it.

Y'all aren't making this any easier ;) and yes, I do love that thumbhole stock look. As someone pointed out (and I should have added), I'd like to use this for hunting. It's not necessary as I've others from which to choose but nice to have the option should I choose it.

Here’s a MKii just to make it more difficult. You are welcome for my service.

I’m sure this isn’t helpful at all but get anything sage green. That’s at least my color of choice

If you won't be shooting PRS but will be hunting then I'd definitely go AT.

I was trying to decide between the AT and AT-X, playing with them side by side it was immediately obvious that the AT-X is the better comp gun (lower bore height, lighter trigger, mag well cut out, better mag release) but the AT was far for nicer to handle and carry in a way that you'd expect when hunting.

If you dedicated to do PRS in the future then could always upgrade to the vision forend. But it's not like you can't shoot competitions with the AT.

Reactions: clubmanager
My AT-X is the least shot one of mine. Prefer the AXSA for 90%, and AXSR for the 9%.

I need to upgrade the trigger in my AXSA still, but it's still ok as is.

The AT is one of the best field rifles ever made. That being said, it's an either it fits you or it doesn't rifle. The AT-X has more flexibility being able to change out grips and such.

It's literally the same action in a different chassis. So the it comes down to shooter preference/fitment.

IMO, the AX doesn't really do much else these two rifles don't. But some people like the AX quite a bit.

If you won't be shooting PRS but will be hunting then I'd definitely go AT.

I was trying to decide between the AT and AT-X, playing with them side by side it was immediately obvious that the AT-X is the better comp gun (lower bore height, lighter trigger, mag well cut out, better mag release) but the AT was far for nicer to handle and carry in a way that you'd expect when hunting.

If you dedicated to do PRS in the future then could always upgrade to the vision forend. But it's not like you can't shoot competitions with the AT.

I agree with this 100%. I prefer the AT in field scenarios (define that however you need to for your personal use. Could be work, hunting, or a combination). But the AT-X is far superior for competition use.

As for the most versatile do all rifle that AI makes in a short action it’s the AT-X. It hunts well, shoots comps well, and anything in between.

I’ve had an AE, AW, AX pre and post 14, and the ATX. The only one left in the safe is the ATX.

The lower bore height makes it better for me to hunt with and carry a small game changer and tripod. The bore height on the AT and AX were less than ideal. Plus having to add some form of arca rail to interface with the tripod.

If you are shooting from a bench/bipod it doesn’t matter much between the atx or at buy whatever is cheaper or feels better.

Skip the axsa and go axmc if you are thinking ax

I really am digging a new AT-X. It is super comfortable to shoot. Pictured is the 18” 6.5CM barrel with the folding stock.

Attachments

• 5D523401-0F77-4CFC-BE2F-F9A4043799DF.jpeg
    5D523401-0F77-4CFC-BE2F-F9A4043799DF.jpeg
    860.8 KB · Views: 91
  • E745E0B3-D3B4-40F0-BF82-627F6C469EF1.jpeg
    E745E0B3-D3B4-40F0-BF82-627F6C469EF1.jpeg
    879.5 KB · Views: 87
Reactions: TylerN
Unless you need a long action four magnum cartridges the ATX is the no-brainer. At its current sale price they’re cheaper than an AIAT and will check every box in one package…

I own an AT and AXMC

I would never part with either. I will be the naysayer and tell you to go for the AXSR. The long action gives you lots of options. If not that, then the AT as it is an amazing rifle.

The ATX...meh. I have shot them, there is a bit of flex in the chassis that I didn't like but if you are competing, I can see why it has a lot of benefits.

Unless you need a long action four magnum cartridges the ATX is the no-brainer. At its current sale price they’re cheaper than an AIAT and will check every box in one package…

Another thing to consider, if the OP ever plans on running any of the short cartridges like 6 BR or Dasher, they run ok in the short action AIs with mag spacer kits but not so hot in the long action AIs.

That's why you need at least one of each, lol

Right now I have 2x AXSA and 1x AXMC and like them. Previously had 2x AE Mk3, AW, and 2x AT. I have not tried an ATX or AXSR yet. If I was a match shooter I'd probably swap one of my AXSA's for an ATX, but for what I do the AXSA works great.

The current ATX sale prices are rather tempting...

Another thing to consider, if the OP ever plans on running any of the short cartridges like 6 BR or Dasher, they run ok in the short action AIs with mag spacer kits but not so hot in the long action AIs.

That's why you need at least one of each, lol

Right now I have 2x AXSA and 1x AXMC and like them. Previously had 2x AE Mk3, AW, and 2x AT. I have not tried an ATX or AXSR yet. If I was a match shooter I'd probably swap one of my AXSA's for an ATX, but for what I do the AXSA works great.

The current ATX sale prices are rather tempting...
One of each is the correct answer

I’m a poor though no zco
IMG_6984.jpeg

That’s not a current pic as optics have changed and the axsa is gone

Top to bottom, looks like:

AXMC (post 2014)
RimX in AX AICS (post 2014)
AXSA (post 2014)
AT

Reactions: hafejd30
What are you going to do with it? Are you going to go every once and a while and shoot off a bench or prone? If so get whatever AI looks the coolest to you instead of asking everyone else what they like.

If you ever intend on shooting a match or shooting off of any barricades or anything then get the ATX. I shot AI’s in matches for a decade because they’re what I like and the one thing that I can tell you is that they suck off of a barricade compared to other stock designs. The ATX fixes that and still does everything the others do.

Reactions: bigfoot750
The thumbhole AT with Vision chassis is the king.

MDT ATX vs AXSA is a tossup for me, depends if you prefer form (AX) or function (ATX).

That's the direction I went. Hated the top heavy feel with the barrel being so high over the pivot point of the bipod. This solves that. Just wish it was green!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231109_195309.jpg
    Screenshot_20231109_195309.jpg
    763.8 KB · Views: 79
Reactions: Anzac and Hennig
That's the direction I went. Hated the top heavy feel with the barrel being so high over the pivot point of the bipod. This solves that. Just wish it was green!

It would be interesting to measure the distance between the center of your bore height to the bipod mount. Based on the pinch bolt the AXSA looks the lowest followed by the AT-X and vision being the highest.

Measured bottom of the mounting surface to center of the bore height.
AXSA = 1.069"
AT-X = 1.290"
AXSA mounting surface was a section of picatinny keyslot mounted to the bottom of the rail and the AT-X was measured to the integral Arca.

Measured bottom of the mounting surface to center of the bore height.
AXSA = 1.069"
AT-X = 1.290"
AXSA mounting surface was a section of picatinny keyslot mounted to the bottom of the rail and the AT-X was measured to the integral Arca.
Just measured AT with Vision chassis at 1.52"

If hunting with an AI is a priority then it's an ATX hands down. With a carbon barrel and a lite optic you can get the weight down to 13 to 15 lbs depending on accessories.

Mine weighs 15.2 lbs just the way it sits in the picture with a 20" proof cf 22creed barrel and a s&b 6-36.

Attachments

• 20231011_130236.jpg
    20231011_130236.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 52
Reactions: Dendro