• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

torque accuracy

gknittel

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2007
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Most, if not all, torque wrench manufacturers tell theyr wrenches will remain accurate for XXXX time. After that period of time, they recommend to get it calibrated.

Does that mean that the tool, stored for XXXX time in the toolbox, without having been used, will loose it's accuracy? Or do they just refer to XXXX time of regular use?

It just doesn't make too much sense to me to buy an expensive accurate torque wrench to torque all the screws in my rifle once a year.

What's your thoughts about this?

Re: torque accuracy

If stored as you say, there is really no reason to have it recalibrated. with today's steels the wrench is not going to change enough that you would see it or cause problems.

Re: torque accuracy

From my time as a mechanic, working in race/restoration shops, and just being a gearhead in general. The more you use a tool such as a torque wrench the sooner it "might" need calibrated. Obviously it will depend on the application your using the tool for will determine how accurate the torque wrench needs to be. If you're building race engines, it needs to be accurate. Anything on a rifle that needs torqued, I bet you could buy a torque wrench tomorrow and use it the rest of your days and it would be fine. Just remember to store it properly, at it lowest setting.

semper fi
ryan