• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Torque on bottom metal

Re: Torque on bottom metal

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: spiralseal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am changing bottom metal on my Remmy 700, what is the torque setting on that? Thanks,Dean </div></div>

What bottom metal are you changing to and what stock do you have? Pillars?

100 Ft. lb.
laugh.gif
I'm obviously joking...

but seriously, What bottom metal? what stock? pillars installed?

that's like asking how long is a piece of string..

OK HS stock,it was pillar bedded from the factory, I am changing the HS factory trap door to an HS detachable mag

50 - 65 in lb will be plenty.

The number itself is not the important part and only gives you a ref to stay consistant when removing and replacing the action to avoid POI shift.

Pick a number and keep them equal and you will be fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pick a number and keep them equal and you will be fine. </div></div>

For most applications, this one included, I agree. I would like to point out that there are a bunch of us old schoolers still around that can tell you about the effects of changing torque on group size. This was most prevalent on wood-stocked rifles pre-pillars, but still had followers into synthetics/pillars. I, personally, do't think there's enough difference for any of us average Joes, but those Palma guys used to even run different torques on the screws. The smallbore guys would group-shoot different torques when they changed ammo lots.

It all makes my head hurt. I use the KISS method, torque mine to 60 in-lbs (skim-bedded bedding block) and enjoy results from the rifle that are better than my abilities and patience.