• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Torque settings?...

oneshot onekill

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2008
DeBary, Florida
I noticed a thread asking about torque settings for a McMillan Stock on a Savage. I didn't want to Hi-jack it with this but I really AM curious. I'm more of a "Mechanic" then a "Technician" when it comes to certain things. Rifles being one of them. Do many of you really experience a difference in accuracy based on the "Torque" with which you put your rifle in its stock? I'm talking about putting a Remington 700 style action in... say... a McMillan. Now, as I think about this I suppose the Bedding plays a part in it but I've always just snugged-up my action into the stock so both screws just felt about the same.

I know this will ruffle some feathers but is it really that crucial? In my estimation the stock is just a comfortable way to hold the rifle. I've taken rifles apart on numerous occasions and just slapped them back together... at the range... and have never noticed a appreciable difference in accuracy.

I understand that repeatability and consistency make for better accuracy but I fail to see how screwing the action into the stock plays a part. I don't think I'm strong enough, nor are the screws strong enough to pull the action Out-of-round but maybe I'm wrong. My rifles have always been free-floated so my thinking is that only the front screw has ANY bearing at all and it seems highly unlikely that how tight it is will affect accuracy.

I obviously need an education in this area...

John

Re: Torque settings?...

If one can easily eliminate a given potential variable when trying to troubleshoot or eliminate POI shift, and chooses not to do so, is it unreasonable to think that man a fool?

wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Armed Ferret</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If one can easily eliminate a given potential variable when trying to troubleshoot or eliminate POI shift, and chooses not to do so, is it unreasonable to think that man a fool?

wink.gif
</div></div>

+1

Well said. It's all about consistency. This is the same reason why people bed and torque their bases, torque their rings, etc. Eliminating variables will help you determine any problems if you may have one in the future with POI. Torque stuff to spec. Then if you have a POI shift you can go back and check your torque settings and that my help you find the problem.
Torquing is especially is important in switch barrel applications when the user wants the same POI when, let's say they switch from 308 to 338 and want to go back to 308.

Torque.... it's a good thing. Buy a Wheeler FAT wrench. It does just about everything you should need and won't break the bank.

It's not just about consistency, although consistency is good.

Screws hold under tension.

Not enough tension, and they come loose.

Too much tension, and you deform the screws - and they come loose. Think of a screw as being like a spring. It needs <span style="font-style: italic">some</span> tension - but too much will deform it, and it will cease to function.

It's about the right <span style="font-style: italic">amount</span> of tension - not too much, and not too little. Hence - the torque wrench.

All Great answers! I appreciate the wisdom rather than snide remarks... Although the first response came close ;-)

Anyway, I now see the reasoning more clearly. I think I was really trying to justify avoiding the expense of an inch-pounds torque wrench! I'm sure someday when I'm trying to squeeze more accuracy out of something that's not performing as expected I'll appreciate what was passed on here. Thanks again!

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot onekill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All Great answers! I appreciate the wisdom rather than snide remarks... Although the first response came close ;-)</div></div>

Anytime smileys are present in a post by me, condescension isn't the goal. Pinkyswear.
smile.gif