• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Torque Spec for Rails and Rings

bulldog87

Private
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2020
Having a hard time finding exact numbers for spec with these, if anyone has a link or an answer it would be greatly appreciated. Also, if I put blue loctite on the rail, what would be my specs? Should I back off a few pounds with wet screws or just send it with the normal spec of a dry screw? Not putting loctite on my rings, so I don't need that info. Below is my parts. Thanks in advance.

Torque spec for:
  • Leupold Backcountry Picatinny Cross-Slot base Remington 700 SA 20MOA
  • With loctite spec and without spec for the rail?
  • Leupold PRW2 30mm Medium Rings

I usually use 15-20 in-lbs for 6-48 screws degreased with no loctite. What kind of base is irrelevant.
I’d hope the rings would come with a torque spec.

Thanks, I haven't opened the packaging for the rings yet, hopefully the spec is somewhere in there

I've read recommendations by one or two scope manufacturers (sorry, can't remember who but think one was Vortex, one maybe Sightron) that said rings should not be torqued to more than 18 in.-lb. For rings that have 4 screws per ring I use 12 in-lb, if there are just 2 screws I use 15. For attaching rings to a rail I use 20, but can't really give a good reason for that -- it just seems right and I haven't had a problem so far. I don't use loctite and torque everything dry. In the interest of full disclosure, I only shoot rimfire since I had to have my pacemaker planted on my right side.

Reactions: bulldog87
Base I would put on at 25

For those PRW rings I would probably do 18
1581006018818.png

But I wouldnt do those rings as they put the caps below centered and level at a dumb angle.

I would prefer the back country cross slot
1581006122965.png

On these I would torque the larger cross slot to 40 and the caps to 18

I wouldnt worrry about the difference between loctited and not. If you get to tthe point where it would make a difference in this application youve already fucked up way too far.

I have both the PRWs and backcountry crossslots.

PRWs are 25 to 28 inch-lbs for all screws (per Leupold manual)
Backcountry, cross bolts 50 to 65 in-lbs, caps 15-25 in lbs. Standard ranges for these types of rings.

I've read recommendations by one or two scope manufacturers (sorry, can't remember who but think one was Vortex, one maybe Sightron) that said rings should not be torqued to more than 18 in.-lb. For rings that have 4 screws per ring I use 12 in-lb, if there are just 2 screws I use 15. For attaching rings to a rail I use 20, but can't really give a good reason for that -- it just seems right and I haven't had a problem so far. I don't use loctite and torque everything dry. In the interest of full disclosure, I only shoot rimfire since I had to have my pacemaker planted on my right side.

Thanks

Base I would put on at 25

For those PRW rings I would probably do 18
View attachment 7243020
But I wouldnt do those rings as they put the caps below centered and level at a dumb angle.

I would prefer the back country cross slot
View attachment 7243021
On these I would torque the larger cross slot to 40 and the caps to 18

I wouldnt worrry about the difference between loctited and not. If you get to tthe point where it would make a difference in this application youve already fucked up way too far.

Thanks, my main thing is that I want to make sure medium height rings will work with my set up. After I get everything on and the medium height allows enough clearance (I will measure and compare to make sure new rings will have the clearance at this point if I do order them) more likely then not I'm taking my rings back then ordering a new set if the rings frustrate me like you say they will. These were the ones in store, I just didn't want to order rings then have to ship them back if the height was wrong. However, I may like them who knows if thats the case I'll keep them. I'd rather trial and error with a store for easier return, just a peace of mind thing for me. Question though, if I were to move forward and order some in the future would you recommend backcountry or the vortex pro series? I know the pro series are sorta newish so you may have no had personal experience yet. Thanks in advance.

I have both the PRWs and backcountry crossslots.

PRWs are 25 to 28 inch-lbs for all screws (per Leupold manual)
Backcountry, cross bolts 50 to 65 in-lbs, caps 15-25 in lbs. Standard ranges for these types of rings.

Thanks, this helps a lot

Applied rail at 22 and rings at 18.
The rings called for 25 once I opened the package. But I stuck with 18. No loctite on either rings or bases and everything performed great with 50 rounds so far.
Thanks everyone.