• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Torque specs for Remington rifle?

Lofty

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 14, 2008
Lenexa KS
I recently had to remove my McMillan stock from my 40X receiver. I spilled some bore cleaner on the action and it ran underneath.....I was worried it would eat up the bedding.

Anyways, can anyone tell me the torque specs for the three bolts?

Starting from the big one that goes through the center of the stock towards the front of the action, to the little one in the front of the trigger guard, to the medium one in the back of the trigger guard.

Thanks for any help.

Re: Torque specs for Remington rifle?

the bottom metal bolts (ones around trigger guard) get 60in lbs. As for the other one your talking about from the center of the stock towards the front of the action (never heard of it)

the front one and the last one are 60 in lbs. the other just holds the front of the trigger guard just snug it up dont go all superman on that one. it gose into the little hole infront of the trigger.

Do I have a strange rig or something? Thats not the first time someone has said they didnt know what I meant when talking about the bolts that hold my receiver to the stock.

Post a pic showing these 3 screw locations please.

The one in front of the trigger guard should be smaller and should be finger tight.

I thought the Seekonk torque wrench was set for the action screws for a Remington model 700. If I have my facts straight, they are set at 65lbs. Which is correct 60 or 65?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Typically you don't want to go 65 w/ aluminum bottom metal. </div></div>

+1

Especially on factory aluminum Remington bottom metal. 40 to 45 inch pounds works fine most times if one leaves it alone after tightening. Unless, of course, you have OCD like Adrian Monk and feel compelled to just "tighten something".

Remington factory aluminum bottom go 35-40 inch pounds. That is the front and back. There are only 2 screws.

Just for giggles. A Remington gunsmith told me once that they hand tighten the rifles to be shipped out.