• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Torque Wrench Shootout: Reviews + Tests

FourT6and2

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
As I mentioned in this thread: https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/torque-wrench-reviews.7136523/ , the torque wrench I’ve been using for the past seven years was stolen. Since I needed to replace it, I decided to grab a few different options and test them to see which one I liked the most and to satisfy my curiosity regarding how these things actually perform. Not one to blindly trust marketing claims, I decided to give it a shot.

This isn’t meant as an end-all-be-all about quality and performance. Some of it is personal opinion and some of it is objective data, albeit with a sample size of one. So use this info as you please. Also as many will surely point out, we aren't building nuclear reactors here. I don't think we really need aerospace levels of accuracy and precision when it comes to torquing actions or scope rings.

I’m also not a statistician. I did my best to double check my math.

I'm using a calibrated HIOS HP100 torque tester. I also have a Seekonk TA-75 dial tester as backup. The HIOS displays torque to the 1/10th in/lb and is accurate to 0.1%. I have a direct attachment, as well as a rundown fixture that simulates torquing a fastener.

I will update this thread as I test each product, but here’s the current lineup:
  • Borka PTL: 4; 8 in/lb pre-set
  • Borka BTD
  • Fix It Sticks: 15 in/lb Pre-Set
  • Fix It Sticks: 55 in/lb Pre-Set
  • Fix It Sticks: All-In-One
  • Lyman ProDrive 10-80 in/lb
  • Wiha TorqueVario-S 10-50 in/lb
  • Wiha TorqueVario-S 5-18 in/lb
  • Wiha TorqueVario-S 18-62 in/lb
  • Tekton TRQ21101 10-150 in/lb
  • Mountz FGA-80 8-80 in/lb

Last edited:
As I mentioned in this thread: https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/torque-wrench-reviews.7136523/ , the torque wrench I’ve been using for the past seven years was stolen. Since I needed to replace it, I decided to grab a few different options and test them to see which one I liked the most and to satisfy my curiosity regarding how these things actually perform. Not one to blindly trust marketing claims, I decided to give it a shot.

This isn’t meant as an end-all-be-all about quality and performance. Some of it is personal opinion and some of it is objective data, albeit with a sample size of one. So use this info as you please. Also as many will surely point out, we aren't building nuclear reactors here. I don't think we really need aerospace levels of accuracy and precision when it comes to torquing actions or scope rings.

I’m also not a statistician. I did my best to double check my math.

I will update this thread as I test each product, but here’s the current lineup:
  • Fix It Sticks: 15 in/lb Pre-Set
  • Fix It Sticks: 55 in/lb Pre-Set
  • Fix It Sticks: All-In-One
  • Lyman ProDrive 10-80 in/lb
  • Wiha TorqueVario-S 10-50 in/lb
  • Wiha TorqueVario-S 5-18 in/lb
  • Wiha TorqueVario-S 18-62 in/lb
  • Tekton TRQ21101 10-150 in/lb
  • Mountz FGA-80 8-80 in/lb
no Borka?

Wiha TorqueVario-S, 10-50 in/lb, 53-Piece Set

Price: $210
Comes with a bunch of useful bits, the driver, and an adjustment tool.
57b6afd32b5e62928012a11c2c0ea9a3061c27c3_1800x.jpg

I like this one because it comes with a ton of useful bits—torx, square drive, hex, philips, flathead, metric and imperial. The driver itself feels nice and high quality. Made in Germany. You can purchase with or without calibration certificate. This particular one didn't come with it. You can also purchase just the drivers separately, but I wanted the set with all the bits.

The grip material is textured and doesn't slip. It feels like a quality tool that's engineered well. Comes with 1/4" socket and any standard 1/4" bit will fit. To set torque, you pull the 1/4" bit holder out, insert the tool with the black handle, and adjust to your torque value using a little window in the handle to read the setting.

I will say it's a bit finicky in that it only displays every even value and there are no specific witness lines to set torque specifically. You just center the number in the window. You can set torque to odd numbers by just stopping between even ones. But it's not exact. However, if you take a look at the test data, it might not even matter...

When the wrench reaches the set value, it clicks. But it's a very loud and tactile click and the driver sort of cams over in your hand. I like it.

Advertised accuracy is +/- 6%. As tested, I saw much lower. A lot lower. I'm actually super impressed. Torque wrenches tend to perform better toward the center of their range. But even at 15 in/lb, which is pretty low for this wrench, the average error was only 2%. And as you get into the wrench's central range, the accuracy increases to less than 1% error!

Also the consistency/precision is great. Although, I don't know how to calculate that.

wiha_data_by_haftelm_dfc3nu6-fullview.jpg

Last edited:
I found a MAC at the pawn shop about fifteen years ago. I just missed out on a dial type Snap-On in/lbs.

Lyman ProDrive, 10-80 in/lb

Price: $80
Comes with a case, a few bits, and a calibration certificate

A010BAAB-EDAA-4CEA-B339-2CA704311AB6-1024x683.jpeg

untitled_by_haftelm_dfc3w5w-fullview.jpg

At first glance, it seems like a good option. It's affordable, it comes from a firearm-centric company, it comes with a case and some bits, and it comes with a certificate of calibration. However, I can't find any official accuracy claims from Lyman. So I had to use the calibration certificate to calculate one by calculating the error of each of the three readings and then averaging those together to get +/- 5.22%. Anything over that is highlighted in orange.

What's puzzling is Lyman's own calibration certificate shows an 8% error at 10 in/lb (9% allowed), 5.25% at 40 in/lb (6% allowed), and 2.4% at 70 in/lb (6% allowed).

So maybe their accuracy claim is 6% above some minimum setting. Either way, if they calibrated the wrench, it should meet those standards.

The case is nice. The bits are nice. Typical 1/4" bits. The tool is weighty and feels rather solid. To adjust, you pull down on the orange snap collar and rotate the handle. The collar locks into a detent every 1 in/lb from 10-80 in/lbs. However, the calibration certificate lists the driver as being 10-70 in/lb even though it's advertised as being 10-80. Cert. was issued March 16, 2022. So we know it's a new product and still within the 1-year calibration window.

When you reach your set torque value, the wrench clicks and cams over. It's similar to the Wiha, except much less precise feeling. There is a good amount of play/slop in the click. The Wiha has a solid thwack that feels like snapping a pretzel stick in half. The Lymann clicks and then kinda goes limp. It doesn't inspire confidence. But it's a torque wrench, not a precision bolt-action trigger, so who really cares.

Here's the data. Orange is technically a pass for the allowable error rate on certificate (but fails the actual calibration accuracy). Red is a fail either way. 70 in/lb seems to be its sweet spot. But there are instances of 17%, 18%, 19% error... Consistency/precision isn't very good.

lyman_data_by_haftelm_dfc3ulm-pre.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: doubloon
Tekton TRQ-21101, 10-150 in/lb

Price: $52
Comes with a nice soft case

81iPvHD6VcL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

This thing is pretty small. And that's a good thing. With the included soft case, it could make for an ok addition to a drag/field/range bag. Throw a couple of bits in there with it and you're good to go in case a scope ring/clamp or action bolt comes loose. And with an adjustable range of 10-150 in/lbs, I thought it would be a nice do-it-all wrench.

Quality seems nice. Feels like a solid tool. Smooth edges, smooth adjustability, ratchet mechanism works well and has a satisfying click. Made in Taiwan. To adjust, you pull down the spring-loaded lock collar and rotate handle, just like the majority of click-type ratchet torque wrenches on the market. And just like all of those others, when your torque value is reached, the clutch mechanism inside the wrench breaks free and you get a "click." Except on these types of wrenches, the click's impulse (how loud it is and how snappy it feels) is dictated by how much potential energy gets stored in the spring inside the wrench. So the lower the torque setting, the softer the click. And in this wrench's case, the click is quite soft. It's a bit numb feeling. Less of a click, and more of a soft detent kind of feel. Like the wrench is rolling over a rubbery speed bump. But if you pay attention and you go slow, it's plenty noticeable. And it does get better as the torque value goes up.

This kind of wrench is also harder to keep consistent than the driver-types because you've got a much longer lever to deal with. You have to hold the wrench in the exact same spot, center of the handle/grip. Otherwise you can throw off readings. And it's much easier to hit the "wall" of the wrench after the click and add additional force. This is similar to dwell time with a bolt-action rifle. After the trigger breaks, while the bullet is flying down the barrel, your finger might hit the trigger's wall and affect accuracy due to movement of the rifle.

tl;dr
I tried to be extra careful while measuring.

All in all, I'd say this thing definitely doesn't perform well at lower settings. Since it goes from 10 in/lb to 150 in/lb, it will absolutely be more accurate the higher you set it. So... maybe not the best choice for scope ring caps that need 15 in/lb...

Would I use it for something in the 80+ in/lb range? Sure. Personally, I don't need anything that goes that high though.

tekton_by_haftelm_dfc47sh-pre.jpg

Last edited:
Also the consistency/precision is great. Although, I don't know how to calculate that.

The repeatability of a measurement system is determined by making multiple measurements, calculating the standard deviation (SD, or "sigma") of the variation, applying a multiplier of your choice to the SD, and you'll get an estimate of the extreme variation over a number of measurement attempts. This can be compared to the allowable variation of the process to determine if a measurement system is acceptable. The latter implicitly requires that the torque spec include a tolerance band; a spec of "15-18 lb-ft" is one example, as is "18 lb-ft max". A single number doesn't provide this information, but we could establish our own numbers using an assumption for acceptable scatter like 5% of spec.

The multiplier is related to the number of available defects in a given population; "six sigma" is generally attempting to achieve single-digit defects in a sample of 1 million parts/measurements, so it's probably overkill for anything related to shooting. But go ahead and apply it to see what happens.

You'll want to do this at various points of interest for each wrench, and ideally you'll want to use multiple operators in order to understand the reproducibility. This is not a small task, which is why I'm glad that I haven't had to do this on a regular basis in my day job for many, many years.

Fat Wrench is probably the most used thing on the general gun owners bench.

I use a combination of Snap On - LMT 140 inch pound screws

Seekonk beam - everything under 75" pounds at the bench

Borka - Field use.

The repeatability of a measurement system is determined by making multiple measurements, calculating the standard deviation (SD, or "sigma") of the variation, applying a multiplier of your choice to the SD, and you'll get an estimate of the extreme variation over a number of measurement attempts. This can be compared to the allowable variation of the process to determine if a measurement system is acceptable. The latter implicitly requires that the torque spec include a tolerance band; a spec of "15-18 lb-ft" is one example, as is "18 lb-ft max". A single number doesn't provide this information, but we could establish our own numbers using an assumption for acceptable scatter like 5% of spec.

The multiplier is related to the number of available defects in a given population; "six sigma" is generally attempting to achieve single-digit defects in a sample of 1 million parts/measurements, so it's probably overkill for anything related to shooting. But go ahead and apply it to see what happens.

You'll want to do this at various points of interest for each wrench, and ideally you'll want to use multiple operators in order to understand the reproducibility. This is not a small task, which is why I'm glad that I haven't had to do this on a regular basis in my day job for many, many years.

Basically a Cpk calculation. The wrench's advertised accuracy can be used to calculate the upper and lower specification limits needed to get Cpk. More data points are more better for this but it can be done with what he has.

If I'm bored tonight, I'll run the numbers for some of those wrenches.

Basically a Cpk calculation. The wrench's advertised accuracy can be used to calculate the upper and lower specification limits needed to get Cpk. More data points are more better for this but it can be done with what he has.

I was thinking the exact same thing and was just about to run some calculations but I guess I will let you do it.

Let's first get into a massive argument about how many measurements need to be run to form a statically-acceptable sample. Ideally, we should spend at least 2-3x longer on that argument than on actually running the R&R study.

Let's first get into a massive argument about how many measurements need to be run to form a statically-acceptable sample. Ideally, we should spend at least 2-3x longer on that argument than on actually running the R&R study.

Ha!

Yeah, I'm not doing it. Over my head.

• Haha
Reactions: 308pirate
Fat Wrench is probably the most used thing on the general gun owners bench.

I use a combination of Snap On - LMT 140 inch pound screws

Seekonk beam - everything under 75" pounds at the bench

Borka - Field use.

Yeah I know the Fat Wrench is pretty popular. But I didn't buy one because it wasn't something I wanted to own. Keep in mind I'm not out here buying every torque wrench on the planet. This started as a personal curiosity thing as to which wrench would work best for me. But if someone wants me to include a Fat Wrench, they can always send it to me to test. I will send it back.

That said, all the wrenches I'm testing are new. So if someone sends me a 4-year-old Fat Wrench that's out of calibration, the test will reflect that.

I would love to test stuff from Seekonk, CDI, and some of the higher-end torque drivers out there from Wera, Stahlwille, etc. But I would wind up spending thousands of dollars lol

So I personally have the Tekton and have no issues with it. Obviously it's not a precision instrument, but is dialing up 15 in/lb and getting 16 out of it that big of a deal?

So I personally have the Tekton and have no issues with it. Obviously it's not a precision instrument, but is dialing up 15 in/lb and getting 16 out of it that big of a deal?

Probably not. But that's up to the user. It only matters if you want it to. Tekton claims the wrench is accurate to 4%, but the one I bought isn't.

It starts getting accurate once it reaches 50 in/lb. So if you think about it as a 50-150 in/lb wrench, then maybe it's solid in that light. By 20 in/lb, accuracy error has gone from almost 20%, down to 6%, and then 4%, and 2% by 50 in/lb. If we ignore performance at 10-15 in/lb, then the wrench does indeed meet the manufacturer's accuracy claims. And it's important to note that this is normal. These types of torque wrenches are more accurate in the center of their adjustability ranges.

In a sport/hobby where people agonize over thousandths of an inch with action specs, barrel runout, cartridge hand loading, low ES and SDs, muzzle velocities, calculating the rotation of the earth for ballistics, and so on... maybe starting with an accurate and precise torque wrench is important to some people. If you're a "good enough for rock and roll" kind of guy, then ignore this thread :)

I wanted the Tekton to perform well because I do like it. But I have no need for 80+ in/lbs. Nothing on my rifles needs torque that high. For barrels and action wrenches, it's too small anyway. You'd want to use something larger for torquing a pre-fit.

And these wrenches can be used for anything. Not just guns. If you're working on an $80,000 rc heli-camera system with a $100,000 4K camera for aerial footage on movies or TV commercials, and you don't want to crack a toothpick-sized carbon fiber rod on the helicopter's swash plate (which would delay shooting for the day and piss of your clients), then maybe a few in/lbs over spec matters? If you're tightening a bicycle seat, maybe not so much.

Last edited:
Reactions: Baron23
Please check their website as they are no longer operating.
It appears they are closed temporarily. I do not know the gentleman but it appears that there are a number of SH members who do and have done business with him for a long time. To those folks, they are temp closed due the recent passing of his wife.

May god grant him healing and peace.

Reactions: Pete B
If you're tightening a bicycle seat, maybe not so much.

Don't say that around cyclists - those be fightin' words. (A $12k Specialized S-Works isn't quite as valuable as the scenario you painted, but failure to achieve the correct torque could be costly or downright hazardous.)

FWIW, I like the CDI T-handle wrench for most bicycle work. I'd like to use the same tools for bikes and guns since the torque ranges are generally similar, but I'm too lazy to make conversions between lb-in and N-m.

Reactions: HPIguy
Don't say that around cyclists - those be fightin' words. (A $12k Specialized S-Works isn't quite as valuable as the scenario you painted, but failure to achieve the correct torque could be costly or downright hazardous.)
That's fair haha. I have a good buddy who is crazy about mountain biking. He keeps trying to get me into it because I'm a gear head and he thinks I'd enjoy it. I tried downhill at Northstar a couple of times. It's a lot of fun.

FWIW, I like the CDI T-handle wrench for most bicycle work. I'd like to use the same tools for bikes and guns since the torque ranges are generally similar, but I'm too lazy to make conversions between lb-in and N-m.
Yeah all the bike stuff is in Nm, right? The Tekton has a Nm scale on the reverse and in/lb on the front. And the Mountz I have coming is digital and has all the units at the press of a button.

Sounds like every MSA I've been a part of........yawn

Fix It Sticks Torque Limiters, 15 in/lb and 55 in/lb
Price: $40 each, handles/pouches/bits sold separately or in sets

t700_87f9946ffac39ecdc1660a9d6f068242_1024x1024_b6597967-02b1-4926-9989-7376afecf6c5_2000x.jpg
55lb-01_1024x1024_51e1c1a8-92a5-4117-a677-130e5c55363f_2000x.jpg

These little dudes are cool. 1/4" hex fits into any 1/4" hex wrench, driver, socket, etc. About the size of a long bit. I opted to grab a couple in the values I need for my rifle, a little pouch that can fit into my range bag, a simple T-handle, and two bits. Everything fits into the palm of my hand and stows easily in my bag.

They feel quality. Like you know... a metal bit. No rattles or moving parts. Bit holders are magnetic so bits don't fall out. As far as I can tell, they're actually made by Sloky and rebranded by Fix It Sticks. You can get them from Sloky direct and you can even order custom torque values.

These indicate you've reached your torque value by clicking and then freely spinning if you continue to apply torque. So if you keep spinning the wrench, no additional torque is applied to your fastener. And when I say "click", what I really mean is a "tick." Like a tiny, mouse-fart of a tick. Like the second hand of a wristwatch the size of an ant. But it doesn't matter because like I said, it will spin freely. So it's nice in the field when you can't or don't want to pay attention. You can just tighten a loose bolt without really thinking about it. Nice.

I think the best application for these torque limiters if for field use, in case of an emergency. But if you are at home, on your bench, there might be other options.

Maybe I got a dud, but the 15 in/lb one seems to not be working very well. At least it isn't OVER torque. So I know I'll never crush a scope tube. I thought maybe I wasn't using it correctly, so I measured two different ways. First, by going slow and steady and stopping once I heard the first click. And second, by just ham fisting it as if I were in the field and a scope ring bolt came loose and I needed to tighten it down in a hurry. I didn't crush the thing like the Hulk or anything. But I wasn't being super careful and I let it click a few times while I kept spinning it in one motion of my wrist.

There was a difference in measured force for the 15 in/lb limiter. But... neither method yielded results that met Fix It Sticks' accuracy claim of 6%. The 55 in/lb model did better. So. Much. Better. On par with the Wiha driver.

fis_15_by_haftelm_dfc6fq4-fullview.jpg

fis_55_by_haftelm_dfc6fq6-fullview.jpg

Sounds like every MSA I've been a part of........yawn

Currently looking for a copy of ANSI Y : 14.5 1973 because we are in a disagreement with a customer on an interpretation and the part design goes back to 1973.

Anyone have a copy?

Currently looking for a copy of ANSI Y : 14.5 1973 because we are in a disagreement with a customer on an interpretation and the part design goes back to 1973.

Anyone have a copy?

Tell them to pound sand. The latest revision of the spec controls, regardless of what their ancient drawing says.

Reactions: nikonNUT
Wiha TorqueVario-S, 18-62 in/lb

Price: $167
Standalone wrench that comes with 1/4" socket (accepts other types of sockets/blades) and adjustment tool.
0b4c05179f0d3c4337fc90be8676a5d0499bbe07_1300x.jpg

Wiha seems to under-promise and over-deliver. Already reviewed this same driver earlier, but in 10-50 in/lb. Here's one in 18-62 in/lb. I have another coming in smaller values, which will make the 10-50 redundant. This one and the other one coming will cover the full range of values most people would need in a firearm application, other than torquing a barrel.

Anyway, the numbers speak for themselves. I don't know if you can really get better than this for under $200.

wiha_2_by_haftelm_dfc8f0f-fullview.jpg

Wiha TorqueVario-S, 18-62 in/lb

Price: $167
Standalone wrench that comes with 1/4" socket (accepts other types of sockets/blades) and adjustment tool.
0b4c05179f0d3c4337fc90be8676a5d0499bbe07_1300x.jpg

Wiha seems to under-promise and over-deliver. Already reviewed this same driver earlier, but in 10-50 in/lb. Here's one in 18-62 in/lb. I have another coming in smaller values, which will make the 10-50 redundant. This one and the other one coming will cover the full range of values most people would need in a firearm application, other than torquing a barrel.

Anyway, the numbers speak for themselves. I don't know if you can really get better than this for under $200.

wiha_2_by_haftelm_dfc8f0f-fullview.jpg
Wonder how they will make them this winter at $20mil/BTU gas……shame our malfeasance will hurt some Talented craftsmen.

I have two of these ... one for the bench and one for the truck. Use it primarily for swapping barrels on my Barrett MRAD, but it's also great for all other torque activities (rings, mounts, action screws, etc.). Way better than the price would indicate.

I have two of these ... one for the bench and one for the truck. Use it primarily for swapping barrels on my Barrett MRAD, but it's also great for all other torque activities (rings, mounts, action screws, etc.). Way better than the price would indicate.

Yeah I thought about getting one but I need something that will hit 15 in/lb.

Send it to me and I'll test it :). But judging from the images of the calibration certs that come with them (and some people tested them in the Amazon reviews), they look good.

Fix It Sticks All-In-One, 15-65 in/lb

Price: $60

c-01_d7368426-d194-4916-ac26-c7a067c9ade9_2000x.jpg

Similar to the previous Torque Limiter versions. Except this one does NOT free-spin when torque is reached, nor does it click. The user must consciously stop at the correct torque value by lining up the two indicator lines on the barrel and bit-holder. Therefore, accuracy and precision come down to a few factors:

1. The accuracy/precision of the laster engraved scale
2. How that scale matches the internal mechanisms' and spring's physical properties
3. How accurate and precise the user's abilities are to line up the scale properly and stop at the same position over and over.
4. Bacon

I think this is a nifty piece of kit. I originally thought the Torque Limiter versions would be better. The 15 in/lb version failed. The 55 in/lb version passed with flying colors. But it is only one setting and the All-In-One is more versatile. And if you pay attention, it's consistent and accurate enough to be a great option for field use. For bench use, there are more accurate/precise options for not much more money if you want.

I noticed that as I got higher and higher in the torque range, the scale didn't match up. And while the numbers appear small, like fractions of a percent—in reality, on the actual tool, the difference between dead nuts accurate with 0% error and 2%, 3%, 4%, etc. was quite noticeable on the scale. Like 1-2mm. Enough to where I could intentionally stop short of the 45 in/lb line and know I was actually at 45 in/lb, rather than 48.

So either the scale is off, or the spring/mechanism inside is off (but within the manufacturer's allowance). But to make it a fair test, I matched each and every line up as best I could, instead of stopping where I knew the 0% error position was. Because the average end user won't know unless they have a torque tester.

That said, Fix It Sticks' accuracy claim is 10%. And this one passes with flying colors at 3% and change. I'm guessing Sloky's/FIS' 10% rating is a Cover-Your-Ass just in case they get a customer with the shakes, who can't match up a couple of lines. But it beat that 10%. Hell, it beat the ubiquitous 6% and I'm no surgeon.

So yeah... I would absolutely throw this thing in my range/field bag. But I'd use a Wiha at home or on a bench.

fis_all_in_one_by_haftelm_dfc8peu-fullview.jpg

The Wiha looks like a good thing.

Have you spoken or messaged Fix It Sticks about the dud 15in/lb limiter ?
Good test of a company is how they act when there is a problem & they should get a chance to make it right.

On another note, Went to repair a mates rattlegun that went underwater in the floods earlier in the year & found my Fat wrench:)

The Wiha looks like a good thing.

Have you spoken or messaged Fix It Sticks about the dud 15in/lb limiter ?
Good test of a company is how they act when there is a problem & they should get a chance to make it right.

On another note, Went to repair a mates rattlegun that went underwater in the floods earlier in the year & found my Fat wrench:)

Just sent them a message requesting an exchange.

I had a great experience with Fix It Sticks CS a year or so ago. My All In One tool went down and they were very responsive, they had a new one out to me that day along with a return label to send the other one back.

Reactions: FourT6and2
I know a lot of people use Wheeler's F.A.T. Wrench. Anybody have any experience with their new F.A.T. Stix Preset Torque Wrench Set?

Wheeler_5.png

I saw that offering but out of the presets they have there, only one would work for my rifle. That's the downside of preset kits like that. Not versatile enough. That's why Fix It Sticks is appealing—you ca buy each preset individually.

I like Utica torque screwdrivers. US made, all metal and plenty accurate enough for what I do.

Wiha TorqueVario-S, 5-18 in/lb

Price: $148
Comes with 1/4" bit holder and adjustment tool

176x204_pli-wiha-28404-1.jpg

Same as the previous two. 5-18 in/lb. Data speaks for itself. Although in reality, the error rates are lower because at such low torque settings, my tester doesn't have enough resolution. It only displays to the tenth in/lb. But the calibration cert. that came with the wrench shows they test to the thousandths. And their calibration shows much smaller error. The actual torque at 5 in/lb might have been 5.06, but my tester would round up and display 5.1. But in keeping consistent with the other tests, I've recorded the numbers as I saw 'em.

Oh, and this one's scale is every in/lb, not just even numbers like the other two. So you can set it half way between to get 0.5 in/lb scale.

torque_wrench_test_by_haftelm_dfcimwo-fullview.jpg

Last edited:
That's all for now. I have one more wrench on the way, but it's probably a month or so out (they build to order). So far, I'd say Fix It Sticks for the rang bag and Wiha for home/bench. Or hell, you could put a Wiha in your range bag too. It's small enough. I also have a replacement Fix It Sticks 15 in/lb on the way and will update once it arrives.

We need a Borka in this mix! Shoot me a PM and I'll loan you mine plus a couple of their Precision Torque Limiters for testing.

Reactions: FourT6and2
Borka PTL 4 and 8 in/lb

Graciously on loan from @aaronk

PTL-SCAR%20640.JPG

These are fixed-value torque limiters, similar to Fix It Sticks. However, they are about 2-3x the size. They are double sided; one end is the torque-limiter and the other end has a 3/8" square drive socket to attach a ratchet handle, but comes with a removable knurled insert with a 1/4" hex socket. So you can use that end to break torque or as a normal driver. Without the use of a ratchet attachment to the 3/8" socket, you just grip the smooth cylinder with your bare hand and apply torque. For low values like these (4 and 8 in/lb.) it's easy enough to use your hand. But with higher values, you will need a 3/8" wrench.

Based on information on Borka's website, I presume these are made by Mountz and re-branded by Borka:

"Borka Tools PTL (Precision Torque Limiter) is based on the proven design of the very compact industrial torque limiting device, which is precisely calibrated in accordance with related ISO-6789 procedure. Heavy duty all metal construction provides very high accuracy and consistency. Mountz Inc., one of the premier torque tools makers in the world, also offers similar PTLs for various industrial aplications. Practical accuracy is typically better than +/-3%."

I don't see an actual accuracy claim anywhere for these. It says "practical" accuracy is "typically" better than 3%. I used 4% as the threshold to match Borka's other product, the BTD. Anything over 3% is highlighted in yellow since Borka has suggested a possible accuracy claim there. But anything over 4% is in red.

My personal opinion? I'd go with Fix It Sticks over these since FIS are smaller.

borka_ptl_by_haftelm_dfdccxt-fullview.jpg

Last edited:
Borka BTD

BTK%20top%20page.png

It's an interesting design. Build quality and materials seem top notch.

I read all the directions, watched all the videos Borka directs you to, and I took a few days to practice with it. The technique required to use this tool is nuanced (which is one of the issues I have with it). You have to use your right hand. You have to hold it exactly as instructed—the handle/knob between two knuckles, with your thumb on the button. And you must make sure not to apply force after the tool "clicks."

As the data shows, it didn't do so well. This could be due to any number of things. Maybe my testing device is at fault? Maybe the tool is out of calibration (if it can even be calibrated)? Maybe it's user error on my part?

What I do know is my tester is calibrated and accurate to 0.5% from 1.5–90 in/lbs. And I know it's been consistent with all the other wrenches. Assuming it's the tester's fault, that would mean this tool is accurate but all the other wrenches I tested are actually UNDER torquing by 30%. I doubt that's the case.

The data shows up to 30% error at some settings. And my observation while testing was that the tool exceeded every torque value BEFORE it had a chance to break. So I didn't keep applying torque after the device "clicked." This I am 100% sure of.

So, maybe it was some other user error? It's possible. But that brings me to my main point: If you need training and practice, and if you need a surgeon's touch in order to use this tool properly, is it really the best option for the average person? You should be able to buy a torque wrench and just use it.

By the time I got to 70 in/lb, it was applying more than 90 in/lb and my testing device started throwing errors because that's its max limit. You're free to draw your own conclusions—it's a sample size of one and I'm not an expert/authority on torque tools, just an average end-user.

borka_btd_by_haftelm_dfdci9u-fullview.jpg

Last edited: