• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Torque wrenches/screwdrivers

dannydifalco

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 27, 2011
New York
What do you guys use. I see these three the most common.
1. Wheeler F.A.T wrench around $50
2. Weaver Torque wrench around $50
3. Borka Torque wrench around $120

I know of course the Borka is going to be the top notch but whats wrong with the wheeler or weaver? I heard bad reviews and good reviews. Are they a waste of money?

UPDATE:
So i ordered the $130 dollar MG6 straight from the website! But then Kortik(Boris) private messaged me and told me their was a group buy going on for the MG7 kit which is the same at the MG6 but with more bits. He then asked if i would rather the the MG7 kit and he would put the $1.50 in the shipping box for me! So he went out of his way to give me more stuff for less money! You dont find a quality business like that anymore!! Great guy i highly recommend borka tools.

Re: Torque wrenches/screwdrivers

I use the wheeler Fat Wrench, it has worked great for me.

I use the Wheeler - couldn't justify the extra $70 for the Borka.

I got one from Harbor freight w/coupon for like 10 or 15 bucks. bucks.

I use the Brownells magna tip torque handle. T handle, 10-70 inlbs in 1 inlbs increments, 3/8 drive with tip adaptor. pricey at $150 but worth it IMO

I have been using a Wheeler fat wrench and have been very satisfied. I have used it quite a bit and it has held up well. It is nice to see I am applying the correct torque on rings, bases, and bedding screws.

I just got the Borka and love it very easy to use as long as you read the directions... (a story for another thread). i got the full kit with all the bits and attachments in the metal case which is only worth it if you don't have a bunch of bits laying around already. when i received it i realized i already had 75% of them and the ratchet attachment is kinda cheaply made but all in all it is an awesome tool

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sonic Crack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use the Brownells magna tip torque handle. T handle, 10-70 inlbs in 1 inlbs increments, 3/8 drive with tip adaptor. pricey at $150 but worth it IMO</div></div>

I have the same Brownells torque wrench, always worked well for me.

The Wheeler FAT wrench is just fine. As a gunsmith buddy of mine has said, "If more people used this, I'd lose half of my business!" (many of his clients are FUDDs who have a tendency to break off scope base screws in the receiver about three days before hunting season opens). Most DIYers just need something that prevents ham-fisted over-tightening. The FAT wrench does that job well.

Where I think the Borka really shines, due to its form factor, is as a field tool. Quite simply, it's far more compact than the Seekonk and Snap-On wrenches that you'd find in my tool box, and the TAB pouch is a pretty slick way to carry it and some bits in my range bag. The Borka is also quicker to adjust than the Wheeler (going from 15 in-lb for scope ring caps to 60 in-lb for ring crossbolts takes a whole lotta twistin' on the FAT wrench).

I've heard good things about the seekonk t-handle also.

I will use cheaper tools where it's appropriate. It's fairly easy to see when a tool fails. They simply break.

For something more critical like torque values, you're not going to be able to verify torque accuracy unless you have a calibrated standard as a reference so you have to trust in the quality of the tool you purchased.

I think a torque wrench or torquedriver is worth spending a few extra bucks on if the application is critical. I'm not sure how critical firearm fastener torque values typically are. If a wrench is /+ 20%, is that good enough? Probably. I personally run a Borka and I have several Seekonk and Utica torque drivers. The Borka is a very simple tool without a lot of moving parts so there is little that can go wrong with it.

Graf's has a torque wrench w/ 19 bits, (03 FFL dealer) priced at $27...
Seems like a smoking deal, anyone used it?

Looks like its probably made my the same company that makes the Fat Wrench. Just a different label and color.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wannashootit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Graf's has a torque wrench w/ 19 bits, (03 FFL dealer) priced at $27...
Seems like a smoking deal, anyone used it?</div></div>

Borka for most jobs but I also have a 3/8" torque wrench for stuff like changing out barrels on my LMT.
I see the Fat Wrench in use on the scope mounting table at a lot of gun shops so it must not be too bad.

I just got the Wheeler FAT wrench and am displeased with the quality. Might buy the borka. Buy once, cry once.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot4fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Borka for most jobs but I also have a 3/8" torque wrench for stuff like changing out barrels on my LMT.
I see the Fat Wrench in use on the scope mounting table at a lot of gun shops so it must not be too bad.
</div></div> For barrels for Ar's and stuff they use Ft/lb right?

I've got a Wiha set on the work bench and a Borka set in the shooting bag.
Both work great.

So i ordered the $130 dollar MG6 straight from the website! But then Kortik(Boris) private messaged me and told me their was a group buy going on for the MG7 kit which is the same at the MG6 but with more bits. He then asked if i would rather the the MG7 kit and he would put the $1.50 in the shipping box for me! So he went out of his way to give me more stuff for less money! You dont find a quality business like that anymore!! Great guy i highly recommend borka tools.

I will say I was like most a little bit skeptical of spending the $$$ for a borka. I finally decided to make the plunge and I can not say enough good things about the Borka and Kortik. First off I can not say enough about Kortik and his great communication. On top of that the Borka is very well put together piece and Kortik has thought of quite a bit. It is nice to be able to have everything in a small pouch that can fit in any small pocket. Also the bits that are included are very nice quality. Def would recommend to anyone!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wolf22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BORKA, buy the kits and get something accurate and backed by a great CS.</div></div> i have had the borka kit for about 2 months now. Only used it maybe 10 times. But what a great tool kit!!!!! Im so upset i didnt go with it first and save myself the hassle.

Just got the Borka MG7, it's great. Folds up very small to go in shooting bag.