• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing torx screws and recoil lugs

OFIS

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 28, 2007
    Harrisburg, PA
    who sells torx action screws? i can only find allen head and would prefer torx for a build.

and does material matter when getting a recoil lug (steel/ss)?
    fyi action is steel and barrell is stainless.

Re: torx screws and recoil lugs

Try Here for the screws. For lugs, I use the SS Tubb Lug and make two modifications to it. As it comes will be fine if you don’t open the receiver threads from 1.062" to 1.072".

The modifications I make are surface grinding both sides for exact parallelism and opening the bore to 1.070" Midway also sells a lug with a larger opening.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try Here for the screws. For lugs, I use the SS Tubb Lug and make two modifications to it. As it comes will be fine if you don’t open the receiver threads from 1.062" to 1.072".

The modifications I make are surface grinding both sides for exact parallelism and opening the bore to 1.070" Midway also sells a lug with a larger opening.
    </div></div>

i still can't believe those lugs aren't flat/parallel. isn't the main reason for buying an aftermarket lug so you don't have to mess with it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i still can't believe those lugs aren't flat/parallel. isn't the main reason for buying an aftermarket lug so you don't have to mess with it?</div></div>

One man's definition of square/parallel is not necessarily the same as another man.

I spoke with David Tubb at the 2008 SHOT SHOW and he said to always surface grind his lugs. They are machined as good as they can get them, but still mass produced and can always benefit from the gunsmith going over a second time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: US Handgunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I spoke with David Tubb at the 2008 SHOT SHOW and he said to always surface grind his lugs. They are machined as good as they can get them, but still mass produced and can always benefit from the gunsmith going over a second time. </div></div>

WUT?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try Here for the screws. For lugs, I use the SS Tubb Lug and make two modifications to it. As it comes will be fine if you don’t open the receiver threads from 1.062" to 1.072".

</div></div>

i still can't believe those lugs aren't flat/parallel. isn't the main reason for buying an aftermarket lug so you don't have to mess with it? </div></div>

With a set of mics measure anyone’s after market mass produced recoil lug and let us know what you find. I've seen them out of parallel by as much as .0015" to .002". Now, if you’re trying to maintain .0002" or less, why would you settle for a recoil lug that is any thing less. If you really want a shocker, measure a factory recoil lug.

Yes, I was just as shocked as you when I measured them. As a standard and a minimum, I now surface grind them all with out even checking first. It's the little things that make the difference.

don't get me wrong, i am not questioning your findings. i just figured when you pay for an aftermarket surface ground recoil lug, you should get a flat/parallel recoil lug.

edit: i just measured a .186" ptg lug and it is dead nuts no matter where i measure it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">don't get me wrong, i am not questioning your findings. i just figured when you pay for an aftermarket surface ground recoil lug, you should get a flat/parallel recoil lug.

</div></div>

No problem, I agree, a custom aftermarket recoil lug should be flat and parallel. The problem with surface grinding is this, the quality, flatness and parallelism of the ground part is only as good as the flatness of the bed and grinding wheel surface. I think it is in this area that mass produced ground parts suffer. After all, who really stops production to grind their bed and dress the wheel from time to time?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i just measured a .186"<span style="font-weight: bold"> ptg lug </span>and it is dead nuts no matter where i measure it. </div></div>

Dave Kiff stays on top of his game and all of his products are first class. I only use PTG Reamers, Bushings, Rods and Gauges. His after market Remington 700 bolts are fair as well
    wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">don't get me wrong, i am not questioning your findings. i just figured when you pay for an aftermarket surface ground recoil lug, you should get a flat/parallel recoil lug.

</div></div>

No problem, I agree, a custom aftermarket recoil lug should be flat and parallel. The problem with surface grinding is this, the quality, flatness and parallelism of the ground part is only as good as the flatness of the bed and grinding wheel surface. I think it is in this area that mass produced ground parts suffer. After all, who really stops production to grind their bed and dress the wheel from time to time? </div></div>

I think they have a quality control issue. .0005 would be easily obtained in the volumes of production they are doing with some sort of quality control and .0002 would be very realistic as well. I have ran 100's of parts at a time on a mill and maintained parallel to +-.0005 with just a quick caliper check. They are just plain old lazy.

This just goes to show you why you should have a competent gunsmith go over your rifle. You never know what types of tolerances and quality control these "precision" parts are held to.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheGreenMachine7</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">don't get me wrong, i am not questioning your findings. i just figured when you pay for an aftermarket surface ground recoil lug, you should get a flat/parallel recoil lug.

</div></div>

No problem, I agree, a custom aftermarket recoil lug should be flat and parallel. The problem with surface grinding is this, the quality, flatness and parallelism of the ground part is only as good as the flatness of the bed and grinding wheel surface. I think it is in this area that mass produced ground parts suffer. After all, who really stops production to grind their bed and dress the wheel from time to time? </div></div>

I think they have a quality control issue. .0005 would be easily obtained in the volumes of production they are doing with some sort of quality control and .0002 would be very realistic as well. I have ran 100's of parts at a time on a mill and maintained parallel to +-.0005 with just a quick caliper check. They are just plain old lazy.

This just goes to show you why you should have a competent gunsmith go over your rifle. You never know what types of tolerances and quality control these "precision" parts are held to. </div></div>

that is what i am thinking. we are talking about keeping a parallel tolerance under a couple tenths over about an inch and a half, not 6"+. i am just a garage hack so maybe i am missing something.

Hey guys, at what thickness for the lugs do you guys think diminishing returns happen, and starts to become overkill? I've been told that a .250" thick lug is plenty but I've seen lugs go beyond .310". Just wondering...

I dont think you are going to see any advantage to a lug over .25. If you do the math, it takes a hell of allot of force to get that short lug to flex. One thing that you do get with a custom lug is more surface area for bedding.

"After all, who really stops production to grind their bed and dress the wheel from time to time?"

One problem is they are most likely trying to hit a flatness/parell tolerance as well as a thickness. When grinding to a certain flatness tolerance, the thickness tolerance needs to be within a window and sometimes a bit more generous. When i have my lugs ground (big batches go to one guy) I ask that they are all within .002 thickness, and he knows i expect them to all measure under .0002 in flatness/parallel. After all, its a grinder and will hold tighter than you can measure if its ran correctly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: heatseekins</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After all, its a grinder and will hold tighter than you can measure if its ran correctly.
    </div></div>

Exactly, if you can't hold these type of tolerances you shouldn't be in the grinding business.

I can't seem to find PT&G lugs on their site, where can you get them?

For the guys who have had experiences with several lugs of different brands, which have you found to be most consistent in parallel and quality?

Apologies to OP for jacking thread... :p

Nevermind, emailed PT&G just now about their lugs and got a response within 5 minutes... I love fast responses like that...

Maybe I should machine a a small run of lugs, I know the company that does my grinding can hold them parallel to .0002 if I specify that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 051F</div><div class="ubbcode-body">who sells torx action screws? i can only find allen head and would prefer torx for a build.

fyi action is steel and barrell is stainless. </div></div>

I found this thread using the Google search engine. You covered the lug thing fairly well.

Does anyone make torx action screws for the Remington 700?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nitehawk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 051F</div><div class="ubbcode-body">who sells torx action screws? i can only find allen head and would prefer torx for a build.

fyi action is steel and barrell is stainless. </div></div>

I found this thread using the Google search engine. You covered the lug thing fairly well.

Does anyone make torx action screws for the Remington 700? </div></div>

http://www.mcmaster.com/#socket-cap-screws/=3qgfz7

Thanks William.
    I guess there are none available commercially. I figured I would have to reshape the heads on a couple bolts and make my own. Maybe a winter project.

Torx come with Badger DBM's now don't they? You may want to call Marty, or try GAP-I know George has gone Torx.