• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Tossed an ACRO on my NF

Pappasniper

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2011
AZ
I have an NXS 1-8 and thought about putting it on that scope, but I felt like the 4-16 needed it much more and offered the most advantage. This gun has been great and I hope this takes it to the next level. I have looked through it and it seems near perfect, but I will shoot it hard this weekend and give range report.

PB

Take your angle grinder to that scope knob and knock it down a bit, get it out of the way of that red dot...

I'd like to know, for guys who run red dots like this, mounted high, since these are for close range targets, how much does the insanely high optic to bore axis mess with your accuracy?

It looks like you have 3" or so between that Acro and the bore of your barrel, meaning, at 0 feet your bullet will hit 3" below the aiming point, that isn't a small amount.

Meanwhile, if, say, you sight that red dot in at 10 yards, she's going to be insanely high at 50 yards. Necessitating using the scope, probably even past about 30yds.

You could sight in at 20yds, but then you're, what, like 1.5" low at 10yds, for practical "minute of chest" accuracy that's fine, but what if a guy needed to hit, say, a kiwi, or a small brain box...

Does anybody who runs this type of configuration note that it's a pain in the ass to be really precise because of that huge sight to bore axis gap?

Thinking of the Armalite AR10 13" competition model and was thinking of a scope with red dot setup like this, which is why I'm curious.

Reactions: simonp
Sweet setup!

1706729657578.png

Take your angle grinder to that scope knob and knock it down a bit, get it out of the way of that red dot...

I'd like to know, for guys who run red dots like this, mounted high, since these are for close range targets, how much does the insanely high optic to bore axis mess with your accuracy?

It looks like you have 3" or so between that Acro and the bore of your barrel, meaning, at 0 feet your bullet will hit 3" below the aiming point, that isn't a small amount.

Meanwhile, if, say, you sight that red dot in at 10 yards, she's going to be insanely high at 50 yards. Necessitating using the scope, probably even past about 30yds.

You could sight in at 20yds, but then you're, what, like 1.5" low at 10yds, for practical "minute of chest" accuracy that's fine, but what if a guy needed to hit, say, a kiwi, or a small brain box...

Does anybody who runs this type of configuration note that it's a pain in the ass to be really precise because of that huge sight to bore axis gap?

Thinking of the Armalite AR10 13" competition model and was thinking of a scope with red dot setup like this, which is why I'm curious.

Angle grind your elevation turret? Your a wild man!!! Haha

Most optics have an offset on the AR platform. Training and learning your offset isn't a big deal. It depends on your zero for the optic, but knowing you have a x" offset is a non issue with some training.

Reactions: Pappasniper
I have an NXS 1-8 and thought about putting it on that scope, but I felt like the 4-16 needed it much more and offered the most advantage. This gun has been great and I hope this takes it to the next level. I have looked through it and it seems near perfect, but I will shoot it hard this weekend and give range report.

PB
Nice rig and yes, adding RDS to mid-range optics breathes new life into their usefulness, with ATACR 4-16x42 is really ideal.

Yea LRRPF, I have seen some offset options but never saw one that used the existing mount, that is nice. I have offset irons which was the next best thing but these new options are useful. I have a 1-8 that I might try offset on. I found some Delta points very cheap sitting on deck.
PB

If I were forced to use a red dot for close up shooting, on a rifle set up for long(ish) range, I don’t think I’d be super concerned with being “really precise…”

That said, I know that a few years ago, PRS guys were putting red dots on their rifle scopes to act as “view finders” for long range targets. Find the target in the red dot, then drop down into the scope and it’s mostly on target. I don’t know if this is still a thing, as it’s been a couple of years since I shot a rifle competition.

If I were forced to use a red dot for close up shooting, on a rifle set up for long(ish) range, I don’t think I’d be super concerned with being “really precise…”

That said, I know that a few years ago, PRS guys were putting red dots on their rifle scopes to act as “view finders” for long range targets. Find the target in the red dot, then drop down into the scope and it’s mostly on target. I don’t know if this is still a thing, as it’s been a couple of years since I shot a rifle competition.
It’s certainly not a bad idea. My buddy uses one on his spotter which is pretty cool addition to a spotter. How many times I’ve told a guy, “ look at the paper target then up on my hill to the left”. They can find with the naked eye but still struggle with the spotter if they are not experienced.

PB

I took my gun to the range and zero's my ACRO at 50 yards, maybe 52 but who counting. Then shot a torso sized steel target at 100 and was about 3 inches high, then brought the paper in to 25 yards and was 2 inches low and 15 yards 3 inches low. All shots were good enough of CQB engagement. Also, I used the dot to find my 750 yard and 900 yard targets which the 750 seems to be elusive on the hill. Pretty cool to use in that capacity as well.

1707083663313.jpeg

The two top shots were 25, and two lower were 15.

PB

I took my gun to the range and zero's my ACRO at 50 yards, maybe 52 but who counting. Then shot a torso sized steel target at 100 and was about 3 inches high, then brought the paper in to 25 yards and was 2 inches low and 15 yards 3 inches low. All shots were good enough of CQB engagement. Also, I used the dot to find my 750 yard and 900 yard targets which the 750 seems to be elusive on the hill. Pretty cool to use in that capacity as well.

The two top shots were 25, and two lower were 15.

PB

Thanks for posting that, gives a guy a good picture representation of what he could expect.