• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Totally new to Rimfire and interested. .22 LR, .22 WMR, or 17 HMR?

Vodoun daVinci

Old Salt
Minuteman
  • Dec 17, 2017
    I started precision shooting with 6.5 CM and I'm watching guys at the range having a blast with rimfire rifles. I'm interested. Mostly wanting to shoot teeny, tiny groups at the longest range possible for fun. I really like bolt guns but if auto loaders can compete then I'm interested. Which rimfire round am I looking at?

22 LR is standard stuff and usually inexpensive...I shot a .22 Mag years ago and liked it. Never seen a 17 HMR but I see a lot of brass on the ground at the range.

If I wanna shoot and (maybe) compete in rimfire stuff, which caliber/round should I be lusting for if I'm looking at 200 - 300 yard precision shooting?

Thanks in Advance!

VooDoo

Reactions: aboone
    22lr is your Only real choice if you want to compete at most matches as they usually spec out 22lr exclusively. Mag and 17hmr will chew up the steel targets, plus there is no “match grade” high quality mag ammo. Both 22 mag and 17 hmr also suffer from availability and high price issues when you Are lucky enough to find it.

Reactions: Vodoun daVinci
    There's very little selection in ammo for any rimfire except 22LR and only the 22LR will you find quality ammo that can give you consistent "teeny, tiny groups" . . . at a price, of course.

Lapua center x in 22lr and get a vudoo v22 and be done. These are my tiny groups at 100yds with my vudoo and center x
    5E794101-C0C9-4693-9E60-97B409DCDF8D.png
    AA32C4B5-DB97-41F7-A0D2-4DD40EBFEA87.jpeg

200 and 300 yard precision shooting with rimfire?

Snort! :D

That's an oxymoron.

I'm not saying it's not fun, I enjoy it.
    50 and 100 yard rimfire got boring.
    At 200 yards plus, every squeeze of the trigger is just another roll of the dice.
    I never know which variable is going to cause a stray.
    MV spread, cartridge defect, localized turbulence or shooter related screwup...never know.
    That is what keeps it interesting. ;)

Last edited:
    200 and 300 yard precision shooting with rimfire?

Snort! :D

That's an oxymoron.

I'm not saying it's not fun, I enjoy it.
    50 and 100 yard rimfire got boring.
    At 200 yards plus, every squeeze of the trigger is just another roll of the dice.
    I never know which variable is going to cause a stray.
    MV spread, cartridge defect, localized turbulence or shooter related screwup...never know.
    That is what keeps it interesting. ;)

Yup. If one has any expectations of getting center fire like results, one is going to be disappointed.

I have few preconceptions. That said - are bolt actions all that much more accurate in .22 LR or is it possible to get comparable performance in an autoloader? I see a lot of guys competing in rimfire events with semi autos and apparently doing well so I'm curious if automatics can be as good as bolts in rimfire.

VooDoo

All depends on the quality of the rifle and ammo.
    There are high end versions of both,
    but off the bench with a mechanical test, bolt actions are preferred.
    I've shot against a few 22lr custom semiautos at 50 yards off the bench,
    they kicked my adze.

I have few preconceptions. That said - are bolt actions all that much more accurate in .22 LR or is it possible to get comparable performance in an autoloader? I see a lot of guys competing in rimfire events with semi autos and apparently doing well so I'm curious if automatics can be as good as bolts in rimfire.

VooDoo

My opinions:

I have a couple KIDD supergrades and 3 ruger 10/22's right now, also tikka, CZ (455/457), anschutz and vudoo bolt actions and have competed with them all. Save yourself the headache up front and get a bolt action. The semi autos are fun and awesome when they are working properly, but are a finicky lot and proper lube choices make or break the rifle reliability on a properly set up gun. On a set-up less than ideal, there are a ton of problems with the 10/22 platform that require a lot of troubleshooting and experience. I got tired of having a 10/22 run flawlessly during sight in or day practice and then getting FTF or other issues taking the rifle down during the middle of a timed string of fire in a match.

Seems like between 400-500 rounds is when the semi auto problems like to appear. Ammo brands also figure heavily into semi reliability. Mini mags have been the only ammo I haven't had problems with in a semi, but it's not match grade ammo. 10/22s are also a lot more involved to take apart and clean. Don't get me wrong, they are a fun gun, I've just had too many failures with SV ammo to trust them.

As far as accuracy goes, quality barrels all pretty much perform at or well under MOA at sub 100 yards on either platform. Past 100 yards the bolts are going to be a better bet from my past adventures.

I have glass. I'm trying to stay under $700 for my rim fire introduction.

VooDoo

The tikka tx1 or a heavy barrel cz457 are both under that budget level And have been talked to death with pros/cons in their perspective threads on this web site. I have both and am satisfied with both, all though I do specifically recommend you get a 457 over a 455 if you decide to go the cz route as it has a lot of improvements. Good luck in your search