• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Touble Removing Scope Base. Help

flyboy

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 31, 2008
State College, PA
Two screws on my scope base decided that they didn't want to come out the easy way and the Alan key made nice round holes in the tops of them. I'm going to be drilling the heads off the bolts as a start to get the base off but wanted to know any tricks for getting the threaded part out of the action before I resort to drilling and chasing the threads. Also, what thread pitch is the standard Remmy 700?

Thanks.

Re: Touble Removing Scope Base. Help

Pop the heads off with the same size drill bit as the shank of the screws, then after the base is off vise grips will probably get the shanks out, if they still won't come out apply heat using a heat gun to break the locktite

Was thinking the same. Funny thing is, No Loctite was used and they were torqued using a fat wrench to 20in/lbs. Guessing a little electrolysis or the like.

What I 'always' do first is drill a small hole through the entire length of screw(on front screw is a guess to get close to going through). Hell of alot easier to drill a hole down the center while the allen head is intact as they have a bit of a dish and bit usually wants to slide to dish and 'walla' it is almost always centered. After you have the holes drilled then remove the head as stated. Usually removing the tension from screw streching when last tightened they will come right lose. However, if they don't you can then use the prior hole to drill another a bit bigger for a real small easy out.

You should have enough above receiver after removing head to get ahold of and turn out but just in case something goes south, and with my luck it usually does......! Just a suggestion.

Having a brain fart and too lazy to go look but thread is either 6-40 or 6-48 duh????

Don't ever drill out a screw until you try this first!!!!!!!!!!!

use an actual allan bit with the 1/4' hex that is slid into a screw driver. Using standard allen wrenches thal are L shaped can be problematic and the cause of stripping.

Set just the bit into the screw.

Give it a good solid couple of taps with a ball peen hammer.

Now try to remove.

If you buggered up the hex in the screw, Take a Torqs bit t-15 or t-20 depending on allan size.

Fit the torq bit by tapping it into the old allen head socket. Lining up the bit with as much of the remaining hex as possible. It will need to be tapped in, or the bit your using is too small.

Now insert screw driver over bit shank and 99% will turn right out.

If you have an impact driver ( snap on makes the best, not Craftsman) that is also a good way to break the things loose, AFTER applying heat with a soldering iron. The heat breaks the Loctite down pretty quick, without putting heat into the receiver.

I used to use the impact a lot when I wuz a motorcycle mechanic in college. I think I have a bit to fit anything that turns to tighten. I used to borrow another mechanics Snap-on when my craftsman wouldn't turn a screw. Finally bought the Snap-on and started accumulating bits.

I have also noticed a lot of broken screws lately, someone out there is using the wrong Allen head screws, with no shoulder, to mount scopes. The smaller diameter allows the base to slide and shears the base screws. Be careful to check that. Using a #6 screw in a base drilled for an 8 is also a problem waiting to happen.