• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Tough decision...

Judd

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 1, 2010
DFW
Viper PST, Sightron or Nightforce???

I haven't looked through any of them so I am at a bit of a disadvantage. I have hear a lot of good things about all of them but are the Sightron and NF scopes worth that much better than the Viper?

I'm using the scope to go on a 6.5 Creedmoor to steel and clay shoots from a bench.

Re: Tough decision...

I really like the Vortex PST series. Customer service is unbeatable. I haven't shot through a Nightforce, though. Check out the Viper HS FFP scopes, too.

You didn't mention the SWFA 5-20 SS scopes. We've got one of each on our 260 Savages and couldn't be happier with them for our 1000 yard matches. Great glass, very reliable and tracks perfect. We also have two Vortex Viper 4-16 PST FFP and they are also great but at 16X they are a bit underpowered for smaller targets at the 1000 yard line.

Just thought I'd mention another scope you might look at and is reasonably priced.

Topstrap

if you dont mind paying for it and not having ffp go with the nightforce hands down.

if your looking for the most scope for your dollar go with the pst

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Judd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
but are the Sightron and NF scopes worth that much better than the Viper?</div></div>

I'm assuming you meant to say "are the Sightron and NF scopes worth that much <span style="font-weight: bold">more</span> than the Viper?"

Last time I looked, the Sightron offerings were considerably cheaper than NF and on par with the PST scopes.

What power scope were you considering by the way?

After having had a few Nightforce scopes, I decided to go with a PST. After having used the PST, I bought another Nightforce and put the PST on my 10/22.

Don't get me wrong, the PST is a nice scope. I just had some ergonomic problems with it. The knurling was too sharp and I had inadvertently spun the dials a couple of times. The clicks were too fine and wound up missing where I was trying to get to and the PST just didn't instill that bullet proof confidence that I get with the Nightforce.

There's nothing wrong with the PST glass though. It's a nice scope.

I have two SWFA 16x fixed and while they are great scopes for the money they aren't a high end scope. That was the reason I didn't include the SWFA...to me for the money they want for that scope I would go with a NF for sure.

I'm looking at the 6-24 Mrad PST SFP not FFP. Most, if not all, of everything I shoot I can range find first and figure out what dope to dial so the FFP I just don't see the need for.

Those little clays (I have a barrel so I have to shoot open) are tough to see at 250+ with the 16x so I was looking for more power and finer crosshair from the SWFA 16x.

Little more info:

I found a closeout deal for low $600 on the PST0 and I can get a new Zeiss Conquest 6-20 for $725 but thought that would be on the absolute low end of what I would want. I would buy a used NF for 11-1200 and I have heard awesome stuff about the higher power Sightron is why that was thrown in the mix. They seem to be 850+/- and aren't easy to find used or at a discount.

So that is the "full" dilemma. Thanks guys.

nightforce! for sure owned 3 and they are solid, but i'm a buy once cry once kinda person.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Judd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I found a closeout deal for low $600 on the PST0 </div></div>

could you clarify what this means

I wanted a sightron in the worst way and as you said couldn't find the one I wanted. Went with a Zeiss Conquest (demo) for a great price. I was in a hurry for an optic for a planned trip that has since been canceled, figures. I really like the Zeiss but I still want the Sightron, would like to look through both and see which my eye likes better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 42769vette</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Judd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I found a closeout deal for low $600 on the PST0 </div></div>

could you clarify what this means </div></div>

I found a place that is getting rid of them for new inventory. He has 2 and if that is the route I take I'll buy them both because I am fixing to start a 6mm build and I can use one for each gun. Sorry, does that make more sense?

I looked through all tree scopes at different matches including F class, I now have 2 sightron SIII, they are clear, track prefectly and are 100% repeatable. I don't think I would shoot better with the other two but they are not as tough as nightforce which is a moot point since shooting off a bench.
hope this helps.

Nightforce....I own and use more than one of each of the ones you named, I have 2 6.5 creedmoor rifles one has a NXS 5.5-22 50 and the other one a sightron SIII LRMOA 2 and both are excellent scopes however the Nightforce feels more solid and you have the illuminated reticle and the choice of HS and ZS ( which are great features ) the PST only has 12 MOA per revolution on the turrets and less internall adjustment (MOA in mine) than either the SIII or the NXS, glass is great on all three of them. If you can afford it get the NXS with HS ZS turrets you'll love it. If you happen to be around NE Texas you are more than welcome to come and look thru and compare all three, I have access to close to 1000 yds if you want to shoot my rifles, look at metal plates or even mount the scopes to your rifle and shoot it if you have picatiny rail base on it.

JMT...WOW, that is a heck of an offer. I'll shoot you a PM and see if we can hook up, that would be great!

Hmm....not everyone can afford Nightforce, guys

Some of us out here are on tight budgets. I did a lot of looking around and research and ended up buy 2 IOR Valdada scopes, a 3-18x42 tactical for my FNAR and a 2-12x32 for my Sig Sauer M400
I should note that I paid 1300 for larger one which typicall sells around 1700 and I paid 999 at SWFA for a demo on the other saving a few hundred

I'm a very practical and ractional guy. Just do the math, I got two amazing scopes with illuminated MP-8 reticals and parralax adjustment for less than the price of 1 Nightforce or Schmidt & Bender.

Sure telling people I have a Nightforce would be cool, but I defy anyone to put those high priced scope side by side with mine and say that they are worth twice as much!

NOTE: I shoot for fun, so no one's life is on the line with my rifle and scope, and that factors into my buying decision
smile.gif

That's my low budget poor boy opinion, and you can take it to the bullseye!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ivan R</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hmm....not everyone can afford Nightforce, guys

Some of us out here are on tight budgets. I did a lot of looking around and research and ended up buy 2 IOR Valdada scopes, a 3-18x42 tactical for my FNAR and a 2-12x32 for my Sig Sauer M400
I should note that I paid 1300 for larger one which typicall sells around 1700 and I paid 999 at SWFA for a demo on the other saving a few hundred

I'm a very practical and ractional guy. Just do the math, I got two amazing scopes with illuminated MP-8 reticals and parralax adjustment for less than the price of 1 Nightforce or Schmidt & Bender.

Sure telling people I have a Nightforce would be cool, but I defy anyone to put those high priced scope side by side with mine and say that they are worth twice as much!

NOTE: I shoot for fun, so no one's life is on the line with my rifle and scope, and that factors into my buying decision
smile.gif

That's my low budget poor boy opinion, and you can take it to the bullseye! </div></div>

I agree that you don't always need top of the line. As for saying no ones life is on the line, you can't always say that because you never know. Every day people who do not put on a uniform get thrown into situations they would not have ever even dreamed when they wake up. I would say as long as you are being responsible, and able to meet your obligations the night force is a good option.

Hmm....not everyone can afford Nightforce, guys

That's my low budget poor boy opinion, and you can take it to the bullseye!

Edited by Ivan R (06/04/12 09:10 PM)

I was just trying to help the OP not telling everybody else that I have a Nightforce, I understand not everybody can or want to spend their money on a Nightforce but I imagine the OP does since he is asking about it.

I was just trying to help the OP's

judd, before you spend your money on a Night Force you really need to check out the new SWFA SS 5-20X50. Not that I have anything against NF or SB or any of the other so-called high end scopes, I'm just a guy that likes to be reasonable with my money, in other words can I find something that is just as good for what I need for less. Well a few months ago I was in the market for a new scope and someone here on the Hide suggested exactly what I'm saying to you so I did. I have a friend that has a NF and we compared it with the SWFA SS 5-20 and it is just as comparable to the NF in just about avery way. His NF cost about $1800 my SS cost $1000. $800 buy's a lot of ammo. Do your self a favor check out the SS......

I would say PST or SuperSniper.

The PST glass isn't quite as good as the Nightforce, but it has some really nice features the NF doesn't, and it also has a much better price. I've used 3 PSTs and 2 Nightforces.

The SS has glass that seems as good as the Nightforce to me, for much less money. It is also very beefy and durable. It's FFP for those that like that. My main complaint with the SS is no illumination and no MOA reticles offered.

I cannot speak to Sightron as I've never even seen one.

For a bench gun at a fixed range, I'd go with a SWFA SS fixed power to save money. I looked forever at them, but I wanted a variable power scope for hunting and target shooting.

But to each their own.

Have Vortex PST's, and Nightforce. Love em both! Lowlight, and haze is where you will see a big difference as well. Can't always pick the perfect waether when you need to make a shot, so a scope that can accomidate most weather condidtions makes a difference to me. Also depends on how much you shoot. If it spends most of its life in a safe, doesnt matter what you put on it. Well.....kinds true. I've heard of guns getting penis envy

I would go Nightforce over the other 2. That being said I like my Nightforces better then the one USO that I have.

I wish I'd come across a SS somewhere. I've always wanted to check one out but haven't come across one. I hate buying a scope I've never laid a hand on....although I'm actually trying to decide between Nightforce and Premier Reticles.

I ownd a Sightron bought it used. Wanted to change out the reticle, and they said they would do it for $99. So far have to still send it in, but was nicely surprised that they would do it for me. Glass is good. Not as nice as my IOR Valdada but still nice.