• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Toured the ER Shaw Precicion Plan near Pittsburgh today...

jayd4wg

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 12, 2009
Steel City
impressive operation. There's a new Mk X series rifle in the works currently in their catalog and I think you guys are gonna like the receiver ALOT. It helps that the facility is about 10 minutes from my place of work and think i might be pulling some scratch together to get a barrel for my Marlin chambered in .260 ...heck, if the price is right I might just plunk down for a new MkX once they become available. I don't believe they are taking pre-orders on them yet, but if i go the MkX route, i'll likely go for a bigger rifle like a 300WM

it was neat to me to gain an understanding in the overall process of making a precision barrel. I had never truly understood how rifling was made until today. I learned ALOT about affects on accuracy in a rifle barrel while there today and came to my own conclusion that there's little difference in inherent accuracy between a button rifled and a cut rifling barrel, but there's a huge cost difference to the manufacturer in replacing the cutter heads for cut rifling. With accuracy being a near wash...it simply makes very little sense to cut the rifling now IMO.

It's gonna take a while for the smell of tooling oil to get out of my nose, but the memories will last a LOT longer.

Last edited:
Shaw makes a good hunting barrel, but i would not put one on a precision build. Did u see them stress releive barrels? That is something that has to be done to button rifled barrels. Cut rifled barrels don't see anywhere near the induced stress that button rifled barrels have. Do they pull or push button. Shilen and shnieder, broughton all make great pulled button barrels, i don't beleive er shaw is in that category.

Guess my 6.5 cm heavy barrel must be a fluke?? It is the most accurate barrel I have ever shot and I have a couple of Shilen and Douglas barrels. A buddy liked mine so well we did his just like mine. Both will shoot 1/4" groups. So I guess 2 flukes

Last edited:
Yep, i have a 6.5 grendel barrel they made, it is so short freebore that no factory ammo works in with out jamming bullets in the rifling. My handloads that shot the best, jumping but compressing powder big time, are 1.5". Really impressive stuff . I don't think a shaw buttoned barrel is anywhere near a bartlein or Krieger cut barrel. Yep checked the equipment list of tac comp and big br shoots, no er shaw.

Yep, i have a 6.5 grendel barrel they made, it is so short freebore that no factory ammo works in with out jamming bullets in the rifling. My handloads that shot the best, jumping but compressing powder big time, are 1.5". Really impressive stuff . I don't think a shaw buttoned barrel is anywhere near a bartlein or Krieger cut barrel. Yep checked the equipment list of tac comp and big br shoots, no er shaw.

So you contacted them about the bad chamber and gave them an opportunity to fix it, right?
Other barrel makers have put out a turd or two.

They didn't seem to think it was any problem of theirs. Upper has been in my safe for 6 mo, thinking about it now pisses me off and how they handled it. My barrel sucked, another guy's was 1/4moa. If u love shaw barrels good for you. I do not see them in the same league as bartlein, Krieger, rock, obermyer, brux,lw, broughton, shnieder, or shilen. And apparently all top shooters don't either . I f i am wrong, point me to the equipment list that says otherwise. I bet, with my money, that i can get alot better barrel from my list then i could from shaw

yeah there's always a few turds leave messages on here to????
always quick to complain but never ready to get it right

call it what you like narrow minded people usually really dont know what their talking about

this barrel shoots groups like this with boring consistency. i guess this is terrible in your book???

top two shots are the sighters-then i shot the five shot group below them. have all kinds of targets that look like the five shot group.
funny thing is the one i did for my buddy was done 4 months later and it shoots just as good as mine-cooincidence???
this rifle also produced my first cold bore hit at 1000 yards - i was impressed so i shot it a second time-hit the same spot on the steel as the first shot.

65creedmoorgroup100yards-2.jpg

Show me a pile of targets like that from a shaw barrel. Now shaw barrels are shooting in the .1s at a grand, epic. Not sure what u mean by quick to complain but slow to get it fixed. I called them, they assured me it was fine and met their accuracy standards. I could pull it apart and have a smith run a 6.5 throater in and extend freebore, but why add more money to a 1.5 moa barrel. By the way that group looks like a 3&2.

wasn't trying to start a pissing match here. just indicating it was neat to see what went into "making" a rifle. joking about precision and shaw in the same sentence indicates ignorance. it's the company name... :shrug:
Needless to say...people have alot of crap to say about my bone stock marlin barrel and action too, but it does good enough. Good enough in fact to literally piss off the range bound mall ninjas with $5k wrapped up in a custom 700 action with "super awesome" glass. I'm rockin a 60 dollar scope, a 300 dollar rifle and a little time spent at both benches. it does well enough for me, and in MY book, any rifle that will stick 5 rounds into 1 to 1.2 inches at 200 yards with boring regularity says much about the rifle AND the shooter. the shaw rifles i laid hands on tuesday all come with range cards.

And i don't recall seeing the stress relieving of the barrels after button rifling - the button is pulled thru. i can't imagine someone pushing that rod thru with any accuracy/consistency - the rod would bend and affect the outcome IMO. is a heating and dipping after the button rifling process a complete enough stress relief? There's a big tank of oil right next to the "button puller"