• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing tourque specs?

jacq220

Sergeant
Minuteman
Tryed a search for about 15 minutes and coulnt find much. Could someone either post a link or answer the following for the proper torque specs...

Action Screws
Base Screws
Ring Screws
Ring Cap Screws

Any other tourqe specs I can add to the list?

Re: tourque specs?

Jacq,
Badger Ordnance has two good PDF files on their site on how to install their base and rings. THey list some torque specs.

From what I have read and learned

Action screws = 65 inlb
Ring cap screws = 15 inlb
Ring nuts = 65 in lb

I have also heard use loctite and do not use loctite. My primary experience is with AR's and everything that gets bolted to my AR gets Loctite.

I think these are average. If you have specific items I would call the individual manufacturer's

That page is pretty generic. They don't specify the difference in fastener grade. The 1/4-28 spec looks a little too high also. Ill look in my Machinery's Handbook when I'm at the shop to verify its accuracy.

Also:

The most important thing on that website is this line right here:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">These charts apply to clean and dry parts. A lubricated bolt requires less torque to attain the same clamping force as a non-lubricated bolt. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JACQ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tryed a search for about 15 minutes and coulnt find much. Could someone either post a link or answer the following for the proper torque specs...

Action Screws= <span style="font-weight: bold">65</span> inch pounds
Base Screws= <span style="font-weight: bold">15-20</span> inch pounds
Scope ring bolts= <span style="font-weight: bold">65</span> inch pounds
Ring Cap Screws= <span style="font-weight: bold">15</span> inch pounds

Any other tourqe specs I can add to the list? </div></div>

I would be very cautious about using general specs. when in doubt start low the slowly go up, but look closley at the threads to check for any signs of stress.