• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Toxic masculinity in the form of DE Safety Razors

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 6, 2011
    MA
    Continuing my effort to limit my ability to buy any consumer product as manufacturers take on SJW issues and call for the banning of guns I have targeted Gillette for elimination from my places to spend money.

My current Gillette disposable is showing that the wear strip is about to fall off which is to me the signal to dispose and replace.

I've known this would be coming and have been researching Double edge safety razors - those little mechanical devices our fathers/grandfathers shaved with.

Being a buy in USA zealot there were two models I was looking for...

The Rockwell Model T adjustable

and the Rex Supply Ambassador

Why these two. I like gadgetry and the adjustable feature caught my eye.

Reading reviews though I kept seeing mention of some issues regarding their quality.

I also kept seeing two other things...

mention of the Merkur 34C

and "The Fatboy". everyone was posting comments like "Why cant we build something as nice as the Fatboy? It had the best materials and design."

Merkur 34C was an easy look up its a new made non adjustable German razor that apparently is perfect for novices. The price was particularly attractive but Im a principled man trying to buy Made in USA.

so what was "The Fatboy"?

The Fatboy is an out of production Gillette adjustable DE that began production in the 50s and ended at some point in the 60s best I can figure....

So surely these things are available some where?

Ebay is full of them that show some rust/honest use. The idea of using a razor Grandpa last ran over his balls didn't really appeal to me. Sure its a Gillette product but its from a time when Gillette was American. Gillette safety razors gained their purchase in American society when Gillette won the contract to supply soldiers fighting in WWII with shaving gear.

Digging deeper in my Google searches I found this...

Totally refurbed with a fresh nickle finish to prevent my facing having parts rubbed all over it that were last on some guys "parts".

Cheaper than the equivalent heavy duty US made current production also.

Now I have to find some blades to try out on my beautiful visage to determine best shave, of course avoiding Gillette in doing so will be required. Guessing Ill have to use German or Swede blades to supply my shave kit.

And when done shaving makes sure to splash on some of this...

As barber shops die in favor of "Styling Studios" I fear one day Ill not be able to get my standard $20 head shave followed up by this shit the barbers use.

Truth be told going to the barber is actually an enjoyable experience that I look forward to. Sitting on my ass either waiting to get a haircut and just reading the paper with an excuse to do nothing or talking politics with the 86 year old Italian origin American is truly enjoyable. I think I associated the smell of this shit with something I like doing besides.....

the absolute manliness of Bay Rum is sure to cause SJW primal fear sensations and by smell alone I introduce myself to them as not only their better but immovably opposed to them and their agenda.

Shave well men and buy more ammo.

Last edited:
    Continuing my effort to limit my ability to buy any consumer product as manufacturers take on SJW issues and call fro the banning of guns I have targeted Gillette for elimination from my places to spend money.

My current Gillette disposable is showing that the wear strip is about to fall off which is to me the signal to dispose and replace.

Ive known this would be coming and have been researching Double edge safety razors - those little mechanical devices our fathers/grandfathers shaved with.

Reading reviews though I kept seeing mention of some issues regarding there quality.

and "The Fatboy". everyone was posting comments like "Why cant we build something as nice as the Fatboy? It had the best materials and design."

Merkur 34C was an easy look up its a new made German razor that apparently is perfect for novices. The price was particularly attractive but Im a principled man trying to buy Made in USA.

The Fatboy is an out of production Gillette adjustable DE that began production in the 50s and ended at some point in the 60s best I can figure....

Ebay is full of them that show some rust/honest use. The idea of using a razor Grandpa last ran over his balls didnt really appeal to me. Sure its a Gillette product but its from a time when Gillette was American. Gillette safety razors gained their purchase in American society when Gillette won the contract to supply soldiers fighting in WWII with shaving gear.

Totally refurbed with a fresh nickle finish to prevent my facing having parts rubbed all over it that were last on some guys "parts".

Now I have to find some blades to try out on my beautiful visage to determine best shave, of course avoiding Gillette in doing so will be required. Guessing Ill have to use German or Swede blades to supply my shave kit.

as barber shops die in favor of "Styling Studios" I fear one day Ill not be able to get my standard $20 head shave followed up by this shit the barbers use.

Truth be told going to the barber is actually an enjoyable experience that I look forward to. Sitting on my ass either waiting to get a haircut and just reading the paper with an excuse to do nothing or talking politics with the 86 year old Italian origin American is truly enjoyable. I think I associated the smell of this shit with something I like doing besides,

the absolute manliness of Bay Rum is sure to cause SJW primal fear sensations and by smell alone I introduce myself to them as not only their better but immovably opposed to them and their agenda.

If youre going retro, go retro.

This is what I been thinking about switching to. Could be handy if you get attacked while in the head.

Continuing my effort to limit my ability to buy any consumer product as manufacturers take on SJW issues and call fro the banning of guns I have targeted Gillette for elimination from my places to spend money.

Ive known this would be coming and have been researching Double edge safety razors - those little mechanical devices our fathers/grandfathers shaved with.

Reading reviews though I kept seeing mention of some issues regarding there quality.

Merkur 34C was an easy look up its a new made German razor that apparently is perfect for novices. The price was particularly attractive but Im a principled man trying to buy Made in USA.

Ebay is full of them that show some rust/honest use. The idea of using a razor Grandpa last ran over his balls didnt really appeal to me. Sure its a Gillette product but its from a time when Gillette was American. Gillette safety razors gained their purchase in American society when Gillette won the contract to supply soldiers fighting in WWII with shaving gear.

as barber shops die in favor of "Styling Studios" I fear one day Ill not be able to get my standard $20 head shave followed up by this shit the barbers use.

Truth be told going to the barber is actually an enjoyable experience that I look forward to. Sitting on my ass either waiting to get a haircut and just reading the paper with an excuse to do nothing or talking politics with the 86 year old Italian origin American is truly enjoyable. I think I associated the smell of this shit with something I like doing besides,

Your grandpa probably didn't shave his nutsack. Just sayin...

If youre going retro, go retro.

This is what I been thinking about switching to. Could be handy if you get attacked while in the head.

View attachment 7088250

Yeah I dont have time for that. There is a commitment involved to straight razors. Supposedly no closer shave though.

Grandfathers 1955 A1 date code Gillette. Don’t use it to shave anymore.

Attachments

• D0019FA0-8EEA-492B-9A49-8BCAA0CB38B1.jpeg
      D0019FA0-8EEA-492B-9A49-8BCAA0CB38B1.jpeg
      475.4 KB · Views: 140
    Immediately after I EAS’d from the Corps, I starting using a straight razor. You’ll get a tight shave for sure, - maybe even a little too tight. There is a bit of a learning curve to using a straight razor. I cut the shit out of myself the first couple times.

I figured iut how to use the razor pretty quickly. I eventually quit using it because I was on traveling a lot & it was more convenient to use a regular razor.

I gave up on Gillette some time ago and have taken up shaving with a DE razor. Check out Maggard Razors ' website. They are good folks to do business with. There are several made in the USA options available from them, including ones made by Timeless Razor.

Btw, Clubman & bay rum are good, but you haven't lived 'roll you've splashed some Osage Rub on your freshly shaved face or head.

Reactions: Flintdog2011
    2 of my 3 grandfathers fought in The War. I have (and use) each of their razors. One carried and gave me his Gillette razor whereas the other carried and gave me (hesitatingly) his King Kutter straight-razor. When I shave (rarely) I'm happy to use them.

With using the Wilkinson Sword blades, here. Many others have jumped on me in the past saying 'use the Blue Blades, they're gooder' but I dull one of those about half-way through a shave. Whereas with the Sword's, I can get 2-3 shaves in, easy. Yes, a huge difference. YMMV.

Reactions: canman
    I feel like there are legit reasons to shave the nut hair hahaha even if it does seem a little unmanly haha

Maybe I'm just a sweaty bastard but I have noticed that I have noticeably less ball sweat when they're shaved versus their natural jungle like state haha. The first time you notice ball sweat in a chair you've been sitting in, in a public place is a pretty traumatic experience hahaha.

I feel like there are legit reasons to shave the nut hair hahaha even if it does seem a little unmanly haha

Maybe I'm just a sweaty bastard but I have noticed that I have noticeably less ball sweat when they're shaved versus their natural jungle like state haha. The first time you notice ball sweat in a chair you've been sitting in, in a public place is a pretty traumatic experience hahaha.

Just sayin...

Reactions: lawofsavage
    Try their Lilac Vegetal for after shave. Might be a bit stiff for the ball sack.

Why would you deprive yourself of some good fun and include the second sentence.

You had to learn that fun fact on your own didnt you?

No one gave you advance warning.......fook 'em.

Excellent site for shaving. https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/

I use a IKON head on a custom wood handle. Stay away from the cheap razors. They have poor geometry on how they hold the blade. https://www.ikonrazors.com For blades I recommend you get a sample pack and see what your face likes. Sharper is not always better. How a manufacturer grinds the edge can make a subtle difference. Although I will give my vote for Wilkinson Swords.

The Blades Grim makes excellent synthetic lather brushes. It’s every bit as soft as my hand made silver tip badge brush without all the maintenance precautions. I highly recommend their Smolder shave soap.

Reactions: CuTm and 12Bravo
    Oh and get a good Alum block. It’s a natural astringent and will clot minor nicks. If you caused some harness while shaving the alum will sting a little when you first use it, but not bad. Feels kinda like using rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball.

What may be a problem for me is I will generally shave in the shower.

It ensures a good wetting and saves time via multi tasking, not to mention having to try and wash stubble out of the sink.

Having abandoned Gillette and the shave foam I used to use I found this stuff...

I like it alot.

It certainly improved the performance of my shitty three blade Gillette disposables.

Hoping it will be found suitable for DE safety razor use.

Last edited:
    Reactions: rangerlong
    Here’s some of my kit.

Attachments

• 06140FD9-7BF7-4E60-9DEC-B510F98C1997.jpeg
      06140FD9-7BF7-4E60-9DEC-B510F98C1997.jpeg
      651.4 KB · Views: 117
    Reactions: canman
    Oh and get a good Alum block. It’s a natural astringent and will clot minor nicks. If you caused some harness while shaving the alum will sting a little when you first use it, but not bad. Feels kinda like using rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball.

I use one of these...

That shit certainly gets your attention the first time you put it on a nick, not knowing what to expect.

Kind of looks like a tool that takes batteries and vibrates.

Wouldnt want to confuse this with that item.

And the throat cutter..... Gaboon ebony wood with gold plating double hollow ground

Attachments

• 584647D8-D315-458A-8393-1608E0CCE168.jpeg
      584647D8-D315-458A-8393-1608E0CCE168.jpeg
      644.6 KB · Views: 108
    • 6036BDB2-67A3-45B5-AD9C-F1636FF2D2D8.jpeg
      6036BDB2-67A3-45B5-AD9C-F1636FF2D2D8.jpeg
      562 KB · Views: 115
    My razor is the Merkur 34C, but I have a Jagger and Muhle in the drawer as well. I have Proraso shave cream in the tube (the green, menthol and eucalyptus one), and a goat milk and something or other shaving soap in the bowl. I honestly couldn't tell you about my brush, other than it's badger and 27mm knot, if I remember correctly. After shave is Pre de Prvoence No. 63, although I also have some Nivea for Men's stuff on the counter as well.

And the throat cutter..... Gaboon ebony wood with gold plating double hollow ground

My barber gave me one of his older strops.

Interesting as its a made in CCCP item. Didnt ever think the Soviets had a lock on anything worthwhile but this barber liked their sharpening leather I guess.

I only use it for my knives.

I wont be going the straight razor route, too time consuming and I dont want my wife getting any ideas, bad enough I have to lock the guns away.

I use one of these...

View attachment 7088355

That shit certainly gets your attention the first time you put it on a nick, not knowing what to expect.

Kind of looks like a tool that takes batteries and vibrates.

Wouldnt want to confuse this with that item.

Yes it does!!! I have one of those somewhere. I like the alum block better. It’s more.... universal. You can use it as a deodorant block too!

Reactions: pmclaine
    My razor is the Merkur 34C, but I have a Jagger and Muhle in the drawer as well. I have Proraso shave cream in the tube (the green, menthol and eucalyptus one), and a goat milk and something or other shaving soap in the bowl. I honestly couldn't tell you about my brush, other than it's badger and 27mm knot, if I remember correctly. After shave is Pre de Prvoence No. 63, although I also have some Nivea for Men's stuff on the counter as well.

Holy primping bat man!

Im just trying to make a never to be noticed point with Gillette in boycotting their shitty products as a response to them thinking I suck.

I was really tempted to by the Merkur 34C as so many people say its the ideal razor. Germany, the fact it didnt have the gadgetry of adjustability, and finding that sweet refurbed antique changed my mind.

Holy primping bat man!

Im just trying to make a never to be noticed point with Gillette in boycotting their shitty products as a response to them thinking I suck.

I was really tempted to by the Merkur 34C as so many people say its the ideal razor. Germany, the fact it didnt have the gadgetry of adjustability, and finding that sweet refurbed antique changed my mind.

Aside from the new soap, everything else has been my routine for a while. I think I bought the Merkur in 2014 and I typically use it or my Muhle, with the Jagger being a distant third. I've been using Proraso for probably 15 years now, but I admit, my wife buys me things to try, hence the goat milk and whatever soap. Don't be hatin' on my primpin' :LOL:

What may be a problem for me is I will generally shave in the shower.

It ensures a good wetting and saves time via multi tasking, not to mention having to try and wash stubble out of the sink.

Having abandoned Gillette and the shave foam I used to use I found this stuff...

View attachment 7088348

I like it alot.

It certainly improved the performance of my shitty three blade Gillette disposables.

Hoping it will be found suitable for DE safety razor use.

I've been using Creamo for years. BTW, it also makes the ladies lady parts smooth as silk

Reactions: pmclaine
    I use a Merkur Progress with Feather blades.

With my razor order Im getting a 5 pack of Gillette Blue and I bought another 5 pack Rapira Platinum Lux blades.

Its the two options that site had.

Looking around I see Feather offered by many. Ill be putting in an order for a few different 5 packs to get a good try of some different brands.

With my razor order Im getting a 5 pack of Gillette Blue and I bought another 5 pack Rapira Platinum Lux blades.

Looking around I see Feather offered by many. Ill be putting in an order for a few different 5 packs to get a good try of some different brands.
    I bought a multi pack too when I first started. The Feathers were the sharpest blades I could find. I get irritation on my face very easily and work requires I shave every day. I can usually get 4-5 shaves out of a blade.

Several months ago I started with a Merkur 34c. I transitioned my son into that razor and stepped up to the Merkur 39c. Love it and won’t go back. I used Creamo at first but transitioned to a boar brush and Proraso soap. That was a big upgrade from the Cremo with a much closer shave and fewer nicks.

Feather blades can and will split an atom, BTW. You'll never feel the cut, just start bleeding LOL. If you feel a slight "tug", you're fucked. Be sure to have a styptic pencil to stop small bleeders. That hurts A LOT.

Reactions: 12Bravo
    I see a lot of recommendations for the Merkur 34C. I went with the Merkur long handle because I thought that would feel more natural coming from a disposable. I haven’t had any complaints.

I like the feather blades as well. I feel like they’re the sharpest of the ones I tried. You pay a shade more for them on Amazon but they’ve been worth it to me.

Different techniques, hair density & coarseness, skin sensitivity, etc. can make some blades work better for you than someone else. That being said, here are a few good (in my opinion) blades to try: Polsilver, Wilkinson Sword German-made blades, Crystal, and Lord Super Stainless. These are my four favorite blades ranked in order of preference.

Also....

If you have a pre-shave oil with eucalyptus, phenol, and rosemary that acts as a natural anti-irritant and numbing agent. Throw oil on, lather the brush, put lather on top of oil. Shave with direction of growth first, rinse with warm water, re-lather, shave across growth, rinse warm, lather, shave against growth (very gently), rinse with cold water to close pores.

'Murica.

Wife likes it trim.

For the same reason I like hers trim.

?

There is a huge resurgence in wet shaving, to include straight razors and safety razors. Honestly, straight razors are not that difficult to get the hang of but are not the solution you seek if you shave in a hurry!

Check out www.shaveshacktx.com
    He carries lots of option a lot of which are American made. There are becoming more options, this one just happens to be local to me. It’s a plus that he’s located on the premises of my local range.

The me
    Continuing my effort to limit my ability to buy any consumer product as manufacturers take on SJW issues and call for the banning of guns I have targeted Gillette for elimination from my places to spend money.

I've known this would be coming and have been researching Double edge safety razors - those little mechanical devices our fathers/grandfathers shaved with.

Reading reviews though I kept seeing mention of some issues regarding their quality.

Merkur 34C was an easy look up its a new made non adjustable German razor that apparently is perfect for novices. The price was particularly attractive but Im a principled man trying to buy Made in USA.

Ebay is full of them that show some rust/honest use. The idea of using a razor Grandpa last ran over his balls didn't really appeal to me. Sure its a Gillette product but its from a time when Gillette was American. Gillette safety razors gained their purchase in American society when Gillette won the contract to supply soldiers fighting in WWII with shaving gear.

As barber shops die in favor of "Styling Studios" I fear one day Ill not be able to get my standard $20 head shave followed up by this shit the barbers use.

Truth be told going to the barber is actually an enjoyable experience that I look forward to. Sitting on my ass either waiting to get a haircut and just reading the paper with an excuse to do nothing or talking politics with the 86 year old Italian origin American is truly enjoyable. I think I associated the smell of this shit with something I like doing besides.....

The Mercury 34c is a badass razor. Love the Personna Blue blades too!

I have a Dovo Bismarck and Ralf Ast straight razors for shaving when time allows. Gillette can suck it.