• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

tracer ammo ?

hfinkle

Private
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2007
Joliet IL
A friend of mine just bought 1000 rds of lake city tracer ammo .223
will this stuff burn out a barrel if you shoot a lot of it in a ar15.

Re: tracer ammo ?

I'm not sure what you mean by "a lot" but generally speaking, its not a good idea to shoot tracers 100% (or in lengthy strings of fire) as they CAN cause barrel damage. While generally speaking, tracers ignite after leaving the barrel, that is not ALWAYS the case and even if they do get out of the barrel before lighting up, they can still leave deposits of bad stuff in your barrel, including small deposits of tracer compounds that burn REALLY hot and will certainly not help your barrel any at all. Most sources I know of recommend at a max of 1:1 (mix of ball and tracer), and frankly, I'd go heavier on the mix of ball ammo if you just HAVE to shoot tracers.

On the other hand...please be aware that tracers will also do a number when it comes to setting fires in dry conditions (even in not-all-that-dry conditions), so be VERY damned cautious of when/where you are shooting them and don't be "one of those" assholes.
wink.gif

I have literally fired tens of thousands of tracer rounds 100% through multiple M16's full auto. The bigest issue I saw was the deposit of the red crap from the paint and some tracer funk in the action. No noticeable wear of the chrome bore was evident beyond normal wear from usage.

As said above, every 3rd round is what I was taught to safely shoot tracers. even then, I wouldn't do it very often

We do 9:1 ball-tracer for miniguns and 4:1 for .50 cals if that says anything to you.