• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

tracers and other fun rounds,

dmiller369

Private
Minuteman
Apr 26, 2012
new to reloading and i starting to get the hang of things. i wanted to reload some fun plinking rounds but..

how come i cant find new tracer rounds? they seem to be all old pulled military bullets.

also i would like some green tip rounds too or any other "Fun" bullets?

any links?

Re: tracers and other fun rounds,

what is fun with the green tip? It'll mess up steel targets and probably wear out your barrel faster...

They are hard to find for a reason. Their use is often prohibited either by law or by range rules.

They can be hazardous (tracers can ignite flammable underbrush).

AP can be destructive, and a lot of ranges don't consider early retirement of their metal targets to be such great fun.

What you use on your own property should be your own business. What you do elsewhere brings others into the situation, and they might not share your ideas about what's fun and what isn't.

Greg

I picked up a few hundred (reloaded) orange tip tracer rounds in 30 cal from a local gun shop (Jensens) a few years ago. They shoot fine and 98% of the time ignite. I've seen them there and online since but never bought anymore so I think it's just a mater of finding them and buying the when you see them.

Tracer can be great fun providing its used only where / when appropriate! I load a lot for fun and take it out to military field firing ranges and unleash it on old tanks. .308 is great but its quite a sight to see .50 cal tracer hitting old tank turrets at crazy distances then disappear off vertically into the stratosphere! (note that field firing ranges have a HUGE safety area for use of heavy military weaponry).

No surplus kicking around in the UK at the moment, can only get hold of pulled heads. They can be pretty mangled so I resize, prick the rear cup and load with a stout charge of N140 (Varget would do just as well), most tend to light up just fine.