• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tracking test Zeiss LRP S5 from MKM (compared with TT)

secondofangle2

Online Training Member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 3, 2017
    Hi, guys - got this scope from Tyler at MK Machining today and love it already. Turrets are big yes, but I love the heavy clicks every mil, the locking windage, the illumination is top of industry bar none, and it's shorter and lighter than my TT. This scope has a lot of potential.

In order to test the collimation/tracking you need a reliable procedure and I've developed one. In theory, it's easy: measure the distance to a tall target or ruler, run the scope from the top of it to the bottom, measure how far the the crosshairs travel and how many MRAD you turn and then do some simple math to figure out if the predicted movement of the reticle based on the clicks matches the observed movement downrange on the target. For a simple example, if you have your target at exactly 100 yards, and you move 10 MRAD on the turret, your crosshairs should move 10MRAD*3.6" or 36" at 100 yards.

In practice, it's far more difficult to get repeatable (and accurate) results than it sounds in theory. I won't turn this into a "how to test your scope tracking" thread as there are many of those; suffice it to say that the biggest sources of error in my experience is not knowing the distance to your target to within less than a foot of error (not a yard - your field laser is not good enough; I use a Leica Disto D2, accurate to 1/32" and with a range of over 100 yards); and movement of the scope as you dial the elevation (I use the original Snipers Hide gizmo with a 25# lead brick on the front of it, all atop a 400# stack of concrete blocks cemented and rebar together [just something I have around as a parking barricade].) If you avoid those two errors, have stuff mostly level, and don't make any math errors, you're GTG. I'm stating this so you know you can (probably) trust the results I'm reporting. I always repeat measurements at least 3 times. I use a 96" ruler at 85.58 yards (256' 7").

Tonight I got the LRP set up in a Spuhr and leveled and then attached to the Gizmo (Targets USA; SAC now is making one that you can mount in a fixed position if you have the space) then I ran from the top of 96" ruler all the way to the bottom 0" - it was 31.4 MRAD, measured over and over. It was between a click sometimes but I can't get any more precise than that.

If you do the math, that 31.4 MRAD at 85.58 yards should have caused the crosshairs to move 96.65" but it was only 96" - so that's an error of 0.7% short (the clicks are slightly too small).

I then got out my Tangent Theta, took it off the DT SRS and tested it. I could only run it 25.8 MRAD without moving a bunch of stuff around, but that should have made the scope travel 79.4" when it traveled 79.0 on the target - so the TT turrets come up 0.5% short over that distance.

Those two are close enough to call it a draw; note that I ran the LRP 5 MRAD more than the TT, allowing a small error to manifest itself more. My TT is the most accurate scope I have ever tested; I have seen NF with 2% error, and rarely less than 1% when run over their entire elevation travel.

Oh, and as a bonus, the scope cap was so close to square with the crosshairs, that I didn't need to use a plumb bob (though I could not have known this before hand; I would have learned it on the level/plumb ruler for the tracking, though). I find that usually that is not the case that the cap is square with the reticle.

If you don't have the equipment to test like this, a 0.7% error is (assuming this is near the average error for the LRP) small enough that if you are dialed 25 MRAD and you don't correct for error, you will come up just 2 clicks short on target (0.2 MRAD) and 25 Mil means you're probably shooting over 2000 yards. Every little bit counts, but hey that's a small little bit!

I really like this scope and can't wait to shoot it. and BTW dealing with MKM is awesome, scope shipped fast, packed to withstand an air drop, came with some free do-dads.

ETA: the "eyebox" which for me means that "box" or space behind the scope where you get a full view without any tunneling is very forgiving or long, or wide, meaning that you don't have to be in a tight sweet spot to get a full optical view on high or low power. And the eyebox is back away from the eyepiece a comfortable distance which I'm really happy about because this is going on a DT HTI in 375CT and 50 BMG. It's the best eye box I can remember, better than the TT or my ATACR
    unnamed.jpg

Last edited:
    super , super job of packing and fast shipping, Thanks Tyler. Didn't get to open mine till i got home and it was going dark fast. Picked up a lot of light though. Only comment on first impression , i definately will miss the 35X of my NF picking out details in near dark. Tomorrow i'll get some detailed comparison in

Why not just put a meter stick at 100m…

Why not just put a meter stick at 100m…
    that makes the math simpler but doesn't solve one of the 2 problems I highlighted: 1.) how do you measure the 100 meters so your error is less than 1%? Furthermore, note that I tracked in excess of 2 meters. But you do you.

You must have a better NF that I got. The 3 I had tracked great but the glass was no better than the new bushnell if not a little worse.
    i've got 3 NF, plus a host of others including Tract , Steiner & Kahles. NF & Steiner glass is top of the ladder. Remember , everyone's eyes see differently. I'm not dissapointed, just anxious to see how they look in daylight

i spent 2 hours behind the glass last nite with the Zeiss , NF and Kahles. i'll spend several more this weekend ,but start my own thread with what my eyes saw. This tracking thread has been interesting , I appreciate guys that take time to do this and post the results. Thanks

Your target distance 85.58 yards, is it from target to optic turret?

Your target distance 85.58 yards, is it from target to optic turret?
    Yea I measure to the turret/center of the scope. My measurement error is about 6” I remeasured after this post and it was 256’ 4”. My 8’ ruler is not fixed in place I strap it to a telephone pole across the street. I live in the city. So there is some session to session error in distance to target. Ideally I would eliminate that or measure each time with the laser. The problem is that over 50 yards the laser dot is hard to see in daylight so I have to range the target in the dark.

As I said, to do it right you have to have a reliable repeatable procedure and that is no small feat/task!

I'm about to buy a second one and sell the TT!

That's quite a statement for the Zeiss. I've got one here I've fondled lightly and haven't mounted on a rifle yet (and likely won't for a month as January is just a bitch). I agree that the scope is a very quality built piece of hardware and the turrets are nice as I'm a fan of the MTC at every full mil. The turrets are lacking against the TT (yes this is nitpicking at this level) even though they are very good. While I definitely put the glass up there with the TT, I'm not sure I would sell it off for another Zeiss - at least not yet. But if you need help with that TT, I'm here to help!

Thanks for the data on the tracking, that's great to know.

Reactions: secondofangle2
    So, you guys are saying the glass is a push?

My views out the back window at stuff 100 yards and the mountainside 3000 yards away tell me that the TT glass is a bit sharper; the LRP reticle is a bit busier that the Gen 2 on TT so that confounds the comparison a bit. I’m guessing the optics purists and sticklers are going to say the TT glass is crisper. I need more field time in more varied settings to be more confident. But for my 375CT/50BMG rig in a Spuhr 41808 18 MIL taper mount I get an unbeatable 37.5 MIL of useable elevation with 100 yard zero (by bore sight) and 7 MIL holdover so the LRP has definitely found a home on the DT HTI dedicated ELR rig. The TT is going to stay on the DT SRS (.223 up to 338LM) for now if only because of the hassle of buying selling changing the TT which is dialed where it sits.

It’s my opinion and if you don’t like it too bad. Doesn’t change what I said and it’s a stupid decision, don’t like it????? Well I’m not sorry.

Triggered much? You want everybody to respect your opinion but want to berate others? Good news, New Years is here and you can turn over a much needed maple leaf!

Reactions: Stoweit
    Love the turrets on mine. The 5-25x version is a little big but man the turrets are great even though they're big. The glass is real clear, compared to the 4-20x ZCO I had the Zeiss is better.

OMG I thought for a second I had accidentally gone to ARFCOM with all the pissing matches I'm seeing!

Reactions: Gohring65
    Everyone should chill a sec, go have a couple shots and get back here and come out swinging. 💪

Wow, that’s some impressive glass. Wish I could look through the Zeiss. Jealous. I have the ZCO and thought that was the best I’ve looked at.

FYI, you cannot set the zero stop on the elevation turret below zero (similar fashion to NF ATACR).

Wow, seems like every thread you post in you instantly call out everyone, what’s up with that Percptiv? Why so angry?

Wow, seems like every thread you post in you instantly call out everyone, what’s up with that Percptiv? Why so angry?
    I guess you are as delusional as the other 20 idiots on this site. I’ve literally never started one thing lol clear as day it’s always one of the same 20 man children on this site. So I don’t know wtf you’re talking about.