• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Tract 4-20 vs Razor gen ii 4.5-27 my opinion

chickon1

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 17, 2019
Nicevile, FL
I just sold my razor gen ii and got a tract. Wasn't my intention to do so, but after reading the reviews, why the hell not. I can say the glass is as good or better than the razor. Color resolution seem to be better. The razor has a better FOV but that is to be expected.

I really don't like the razors turruts, They seem to be over engineered for most. It's almost impossible to unlock them with one hand. Tract's are nice a smooth to unlock and fit my needs better. The clicks are better than the razors and line up perfectly on every mark. I will give the reticle to vortex ERB-7c. I like it a little better, but the tract is damn close.

The eye relief is far better on the tract

And of course the price is the biggest difference.

Vortex would seem to have the tract in durability, but I haven't dropped a tract from a bench onto concrete yet and there is no damages. If you had to pick one as a weapon, vortex all day.

Can't wait until they come out with higher mag value and 56mm

Last edited:
Reactions: khuber84
Tract is releasing a 5-30x56 this May. I will have one the day they are released. I love my two 4-20x50 Toric’s.

Which reticle did you go with? I assume the PRS? I have been considering transitioning all my rifles to 1 scope/reticle to keep things easy and unfortunately can not afford 4 Khales, the tract definitely has my attention.

Which reticle did you go with? I assume the PRS? I have been considering transitioning all my rifles to 1 scope/reticle to keep things easy and unfortunately can not afford 4 Khales, the tract definitely has my attention.
Yes Sir, PRS..I haven't shot it yet, the ERB-7 is really busy but you get used to it. The PRS is a bit more simple and I may like that better.. Time will tell.

Does this scope only have 20 Mils of adjustment or is that a misprint on the website

I have read reviews on Tract scopes and have been tempted, but I'm looking for higher magnification and a 34mm tube. Hopefully the one coming out this year will match my needs.

Reactions: chickon1
I have read reviews on Tract scopes and have been tempted, but I'm looking for higher magnification and a 34mm tube. Hopefully the one coming out this year will match my needs.
I plan on running the 20x on my AR10 for DMR comps. They go out to around 800yds. The last PRS match I went to had 2 in circles at 725yds.. I couldn't even see it with my gen ii razor @ 27 power....these guys are getting out of control. I don't think anyone hit it. It was the graduated round plates.

Tract is releasing a 5-30x56 this May. I will have one the day they are released. I love my two 4-20x50 Toric’s.

same, I've got 2 of the 4-20 with the PRS reticle and love them

once the 34mm tube version comes out, I'm buying it, likely 2 of them.

the 4-20 is an ultra short scope.
shouldn't be compared to the razor gen ii 4.5-27. should be compared to the 3-18 razor

tenor.gif

same, I've got 2 of the 4-20 with the PRS reticle and love them

once the 34mm tube version comes out, I'm buying it, likely 2 of them.

the 4-20 is an ultra short scope.
shouldn't be compared to the razor gen ii 4.5-27. should be compared to the 3-18 razor
I agree, but I didn't have one. When it comes down to it, once you get about that 2K range, people get real picky about glass and you can get it for $1200 with a Tract. And its name is Tract so it better track.

Once I saw all the prefect tracking tests, it came down to glass for that price. Then I found out dudes worked for Nikon, game over. I've seen better glass in a $400 dollar Nikon scopes than a $1500 dollar scopes. Whats funny is Nikon is not making any scopes anymore, wonder if those 2 guys that start Tract have anything to do with that.

I've been testing the Tract 4-20x50 with PRS reticle for a little while now and I have to admit it is easily one of the better deals out there right now. FOV is a little on the narrow side, but aside from that I do not really have anything to complain about.

As far as Nikon scopes go, the factory that OEMs the Tract Toric has not made a Nikon scope in 20 years or so.

ILya

I wrote Tract last night to ask a few questions about the new scope. They wrote back at 7:00 Eastern this morning. (+1)

They said the scope will be 34mm tube and 5-30 x 56 as previously mentioned (another +1). Glass is the same quality as well. (+1) They are estimating shipping to customers around the beginning of June. Reticle will be the same Christmas tree one on the TORIC. Pricing is not set, but likely in the $1700 range.

I have to say that I'm tempted. If I do get one, I'll do a video comparing it to my Razor Gen II 4.5-27, including clarity through a Tactacam, and 10 mils of tracking - AFTER I get my new 300 PRC long range build done, which is what it would be going on.

Right now, here are the pros and cons from my standpoint:

Pros:
- By current reviews, glass quality is very good
- By current reviews (if it holds up from TORIC to this one), tracking is very good
- Pricing beats a Razor Gen II by somewhere around $300

Cons:
- Warranty is good, but not Vortex good.
- Resale would tough - if you decide to sell it later, my guess is that whatever you pick up on the front end cost, you lose on the back end.

So the guys from Tract left way before Nikon went south. They saw how Nikon wasn't behind hunting and the shooting sports and decided to go their own way. Tract makes some excellent scopes.
Once I saw all the prefect tracking tests, it came down to glass for that price. Then I found out dudes worked for Nikon, game over. I've seen better glass in a $400 dollar Nikon scopes than a $1500 dollar scopes. Whats funny is Nikon is not making any scopes anymore, wonder if those 2 guys that start Tract have anything to do with that.

I wrote Tract last night to ask a few questions about the new scope. They wrote back at 7:00 Eastern this morning. (+1)

They said the scope will be 34mm tube and 5-30 x 56 as previously mentioned (another +1). Glass is the same quality as well. (+1) They are estimating shipping to customers around the beginning of June. Reticle will be the same Christmas tree one on the TORIC. Pricing is not set, but likely in the $1700 range.

I have to say that I'm tempted. If I do get one, I'll do a video comparing it to my Razor Gen II 4.5-27, including clarity through a Tactacam, and 10 mils of tracking - AFTER I get my new 300 PRC long range build done, which is what it would be going on.

Right now, here are the pros and cons from my standpoint:

Pros:
- By current reviews (if it holds up from TORIC to this one), tracking is very good

Cons:
- Warranty is good, but not Vortex good.
- Resale would tough - if you decide to sell it later, my guess is that whatever you pick up on the front end cost, you lose on the back end.

I would suggest calling a few of the hide vendors if 300 is the reason not to get a razor gen ii. You'd be surprised.

This is really interesting because one of the main reasons I wanted to upgrade my pst gen 2 was that I had heard the eye box on the razor gen 2 was very good. If this is that much better I might have to check it out, but I'll probably wait until the higher mag version comes out. Weight will also be a factor, if it can still come in a pound under the razor, will be a nice package.

Pros:
Just an FYI, brand new Razors from Hide vendors can be found for less than the "$1700 range" that Tract is expecting.

I believe they will be releasing info the middle of next month. I looked at the demo model and it was pretty impressive though.

I was shooting with a guy the other day, he had a .308, running about 10.5 mils at 1100 yds.. I'm like, WTF kinda load is that?
My 155 scenar load at 2960 fps gets to 1100 on a 70 degree day with 80 percent humidity with 10.4 mils elevation. 1250 ASL at my range