• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tract Toric 4-25x50 review

TheMoondog

Private
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2020

Some on this board have called the Tract Toric, a Zeiss S3 clone. While physically, I do not think they look all that similar, their performance specs are. So perhaps calling it a "clone" is not a derogatory statement. Both share an impressive 160 MOA of elevation adjustment, unusually tall turrets, and excellent fit and finish in their construction.

Tract sent me a Toric 4-25x50 MOA ELR to test and evaluate. My first impression was positive. The Toric sports a striking graphite grey color, oversized turrets, and butter smooth knobs and rings. In my range testing, I found the glass to provide a bright, detailed, clear image with little or no chromatic aberration at maximum magnification. I'm limited to 100yrd ranges locally so my tests utilized the same 8.5"x11" USAF-51 chart at 100yrds. In comparison, this Toric and a Leupold Mk5 yielded similar resolution ability.

Ask 10 different people what they think about a reticle and you'll get 20 different opinions. I like Christmas Tree reticles even though I have no business using them, since I mostly shoot 100yrd rimfire. I prefer less busy, finer reticles for shooting bullseye targets, so the Toric fits my style. The Toric MRAD ELR reticle has a a cleaner layout than a Leupold Mk5 PR2, while providing more subtensions in a tall column below the Christmas tree. And unlike the Zeiss S3 MOAi reticle, the entire column is illuminated and not just the center mini-cross.

An odd feature I noticed was what I thought to be a throw lever socket on the magnification ring. After contacting Jon LaCorte at Tract and asking him how to remove this and what levers fit it, he told me that cap was the Argon gas fill port. They recommend using clamp on polymer throw levers which can break away if knocked into barricade during a match and not transfer vibration into the scope internals. I hope they include said polymer lever (and better lens caps) in future packaging of this scope.

Last edited:
I had a 4.5-30 and liked it and this looks like another good scope from them. I didn’t like the tall turrets though. They are much taller than the S3. The S3 is not tall at all compared to others. The Tract when unlocked gets pretty tall. I wish they would have shortened that up so that it only moved like a quarter of what it does to unlock. Would really help a lot and it’s really the only reason I ended up selling the 4.5-30.

I really liked the reticle in use when I had mine. It’s one of the nicer reticles out there. Great for holds.

And yeah you have to buy the throw lever and scope caps on their site if you wanted them. I did when I got mine and the throw lever they sell is nice. They use Tenebrex covers so you can go cheaper if you wanted.

Reactions: TheMoondog

Some on this board have called the Tract Toric, a Zeiss S3 clone. While physically, I do not think they look all that similar, their performance specs are. So perhaps calling it a "clone" is not a derogatory statement. Both share an impressive 160 MOA of elevation adjustment, unusually tall turrets, and excellent fit and finish in their construction.

Tract sent me a Toric 4-25x50 MOA ELR to test and evaluate. My first impression was positive. The Toric sports a striking graphite grey color, oversized turrets, and butter smooth knobs and rings. In my range testing, I found the glass to provide a bright, detailed, clear image with little or no chromatic aberration at maximum magnification. I'm limited to 100yrd ranges locally so my tests utilized the same 8.5"x11" USAF-51 chart at 100yrds. In comparison, this Toric and a Leupold Mk5 yielded similar resolution ability.

Ask 10 different people what they think about a reticle and you'll get 20 different opinions. I like Christmas Tree reticles even though I have no business using them, since I mostly shoot 100yrd rimfire. I prefer less busy, finer reticles for shooting bullseye targets, so the Toric fits my style. The Toric MRAD ELR reticle has a a cleaner layout than a Leupold Mk5 PR2, while providing more subtensions in a tall column below the Christmas tree. And unlike the Zeiss S3 MOAi reticle, the entire column is illuminated and not just the center mini-cross.

An odd feature I noticed was what I thought to be a throw lever socket on the magnification ring. After contacting Jon LaCorte at Tract and asking him how to remove this and what levers fit it, he told me that cap was the Argon gas fill port. They recommend using clamp on polymer throw levers which can break away if knocked into barricade during a match and not transfer vibration into the scope internals. I hope they include said polymer lever (and better lens caps) in future packaging of this scope.

There's also a huge price difference between the Tract Toric and Zeiss S3 as well as difference in warranty. The Tract has a lifetime warranty including the electronics in the illuminated reticle while the Zeiss only has a limited 5 year warranty on their electronics/ illuminated reticles if warranty specifics plays a factor in making purchasing decisions to some people.

Their is also warranty logistics and down/wait time where Tract warranty is handled within the USA while Zeiss might have some down time if they have to send it in to Germany or in the S3s' case, Japan? Does Zeiss have a good repair facility in the USA for quick turnaround time? The Tract would probably just get quickly get swapped out for a new one.

I like Tract Optics as a company and enjoy my 4.5-30x56 ELR I bought on sale but wouldn't recommend their 4-20x50 30mm Torics though even when they're on sale. I got rid of both of my 4-20x50 Torics after comparing them side by side with the much cheaper Chinese made Athlon Ares BTR G2 4.5-27x50.

Reactions: Iron Worker
I like Tract Optics as a company and enjoy my 4.5-30x56 ELR I bought on sale but wouldn't recommend their 4-20x50 30mm Torics though even when they're on sale. I got rid of both of my 4-20x50 Torics after comparing them side by side with the much cheaper Chinese made Athlon Ares BTR G2 4.5-27x50.
I have the 4X25X50 and prefer it to the 4.5X30. Cannot explain why exactly. The clarity is about the same but details are better in the lower power. Sold the higher power and looking to replace it with a 4X25.

Excellent value for the $$$ IMHO.