• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tract toric 4.5-30 vs vortex gen2 4.5-27

AndyMan87

Private
Minuteman
Mar 8, 2008
Wyoming
Trying to decide between these scopes. Turret feel, glass comparison, reticles seem very similar. Anyone ran both of them? Seem very similar other than weight.

I have both brands. Tract makes a superior optic and it'll cost you less than the Vortex being they sell direct to consumer. Unfortunately the 4.5x30 Toric is posted as being on backorder. I'd wait it out. The extra magnification is a plus too.

I have the Tract and am enjoying it so far. The highest end Vortex I have is a PST G2. For that comparison the Tract is way ahead. The controls are very smooth and damped...there is no need for a throw lever on the mag ring. The turrets are more muted in feel to a Vortex...if you need that hard click feel then look elsewhere. While I do like the locking caps there is play in them. I know it's the nature of the sliding splines to allow them to pop up but my OCD wishes they were rock solid. The glass is beautiful though, no complaints there.

That being said, I also have a Cronus and think that it's the best value out there at the $1150 pricing. It's only a tiny bit behind the Tract optically and is missing the locking turrets, but it's a damn fine scope.

Thanks for the input. Went with the vortex gen II. Killer deal with liberty for buying 2 with my b-in-law. Man I wanted to try the tract...