• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tract Toric UHD 27-55 spotter review

TheMoondog

Private
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2020

Tract was started by Jon Allen and Jon LaCorte, who used to work for Nikon USA (before Nikon exited the sporting optics market). Tract made a name for themselves in ELR competition shooting. I was pleasantly impressed when I tried their Tract Toric 4-25x56 rifle scope a few months ago and was eager to test out their spotting scope. Their rifle scopes, spotters, and binoculars are built in Japan (known for its high engineering and manufacturing standards), utilizing German Schott glass for clarity and low light performance.

This spotter is rugged with an rubberized armored skin over a fully sealed body that is Argon purged and IPX7 rated; meaning it can withstand full water immersion down to a 3m depth for up to 30 minutes. IPX7 is remarkable because the scope also features a user replacable 27-55x eye piece. The Toric UHD is compatible with Vortex eye pieces and Tract also offers MOA or MRAD reticle eye pieces. The body features a built in retracting sunshade, indexing eye cup, and an indexing 1/4" tripod mount ring.

The Toric UHD offers a rather basic 2x magnification ratio; chosen to reduce both weight and price. Unfortunately its low end is 27x which is rather narrow and zoomed. While this is not an issue to its primary market of long-distance shooters, this does limit this scope's usability for hunters wanting a wide field of view for scanning. At max 55x, the image is still quite crisp and bright but with some chromatic aberration. This did not effect its practical clarity for target spotting. I could easily make out .22cal holes on paper at 100 yards. The Toric UHDs performance on the USAF-51 resolution chart easily matched or surpassed 60x scopes I have tested.

Tract sells direct to consumer model so their scopes are not available at big box sports stores or optics companies. But in addition to Tract's own website they do also sell their scopes through Amazon (affiliate link which helps support my channel). https://amzn.to/47MHz8L

My final thoughts on this scope is that it's really optimized for long distance shooting. It's 'low' is 27x, is more magnification than most shooters use at 'high'. Hunters and birders may be disappointed with its lack of wide field of view. The build quality is top notch and Tract has a good reputation for customer service. While the price is far from 'budget', given other high end scope makers, it offers an excellent value IMHO.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lazyfaire