• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Trade my Scar 17 for a Barrett MRAD SMR .308?

azerious85

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 7, 2008
Beautiful Woods
I have an opportunity to trade my NIB FDE NRCH Scar 17 for a like new Barret MRAD .308 SMR 17” in FDE. I’ve liked the SMR for a while and that shorter barrel. I understand the limitations in lack of barre change and folding stock. I would probably like a AI at some point too but that’s out of my price range. I figure I’m getting a $4k rifle for a $3,200 rifle.

I still have some reservations however. Mainly is it functionally the same gun as the MRAD minus the barrel Change and stock? And are aftermarket magazines becoming more readily available?

The SCAR 17 has been a grail gun for me but I have found myself owning it over a Month now with zero desire to shoot it. I own several ARs and a MK12 but currently lack a bolt action rifle. I was planning on getting a nice GAP or Sako TRG until this came up.

Any input on the SMR? It doesn’t seem too popular here

Maybe ask for opinions on the Bolt-Action forum since the MRAD SMR is a bolt gun? Sounds like you want to sell the SCAR no matter what since it doesn’t interest you. The real question is what to buy afterward.

I have an SR25 as well as a couple MWS's and I recently sold my Scar 17. I would make that trade. I go back and forth on if I want to go with an AI or the MRAD.

I'm not sure I'd want to invest in a big, heavier rifle like the MRAD to only have it chambered in .308 unless that's what you really want. My MWS with 20" 308 barrel is phenomenal out to ~850m which is where 308 goes to die. 308 out of the MRAD makes more sense to me if you're training and doing drills alot which would be prohibitively expensive using the big rounds.

The MRAD is slick tho. Make sure you can rebarrel/change cartridges later if you want without a big headache on the SMR. If so it's probably a good trade. I've only messed with one for a few shots in 300wm, but they're nice.

if you ever wanted to change barrels youd have to send it to Barret. They press their barrels in. At least that is what they told me when i asked the question.

if you ever wanted to change barrels youd have to send it to Barret. They press their barrels in. At least that is what they told me when i asked the question.

At least in the newer models, they have the same attachment method as the MWS, they are user serviceable now

At least in the newer models, they have the same attachment method as the MWS, they are user serviceable now
Are you sure you're talking about the MRAD SMR fixed caliber rifle here, not the "true" switch barrel MRAD? I just copied Barrets website description of the SMR below.

"The Single Mission Rifle name comes from the fact that the rifle is set from the factory in only one caliber, unlike the interchangeable barrel ability of the standard MRAD. The primary distinction of the SMR is the free float barrel which is held in the upper receiver with a standard barrel nut. Additionally, the non-folding stock is fixed with a vertically adjustable cheek piece and separate spacers for length of pull adjustment. These changes lead to a slimmer, lighter overall rifle; trimming nearly 2 ½ lbs. off the weight and 1 inch off the overall length of the standard MRAD rifle."

Reactions: GUNNER10
Are you sure you're talking about the MRAD SMR fixed caliber rifle here, not the "true" switch barrel MRAD? I just copied Barrets website description of the SMR below.

"The Single Mission Rifle name comes from the fact that the rifle is set from the factory in only one caliber, unlike the interchangeable barrel ability of the standard MRAD. The primary distinction of the SMR is the free float barrel which is held in the upper receiver with a standard barrel nut. Additionally, the non-folding stock is fixed with a vertically adjustable cheek piece and separate spacers for length of pull adjustment. These changes lead to a slimmer, lighter overall rifle; trimming nearly 2 ½ lbs. off the weight and 1 inch off the overall length of the standard MRAD rifle."

Ahhh,

You are right.. I thought the the SMR for some reason was discontinued for the MRAD.

Cool

I think SCAR 17’s are grossly overrated and SCAR 16’s underrated. If you want a bolt gun I’d sell the 17 and buy the bolt gun you want. I have to ask what the point of an MRAD is if you aren’t planning from the start to shoot multiple calibers? I don’t own one and I’m talking from the peanut gallery here, but I got to shoot an MRAD next to my Tikka and I was glad to have the Tikka, just for the sake of it not lacking anything I needed (I’m fine shooting one long range caliber), and it being 1/3 the price after putting it in a Manners. MRAD’s are cool but not my jam. I think the fixed caliber SMR is like the participation trophy version.

I have an opportunity to trade my NIB FDE NRCH Scar 17 for a like new Barret MRAD .308 SMR 17” in FDE. I’ve liked the SMR for a while and that shorter barrel. I understand the limitations in lack of barre change and folding stock. I would probably like a AI at some point too but that’s out of my price range. I figure I’m getting a $4k rifle for a $3,200 rifle.

I still have some reservations however. Mainly is it functionally the same gun as the MRAD minus the barrel Change and stock? And are aftermarket magazines becoming more readily available?

The SCAR 17 has been a grail gun for me but I have found myself owning it over a Month now with zero desire to shoot it. I own several ARs and a MK12 but currently lack a bolt action rifle. I was planning on getting a nice GAP or Sako TRG until this came up.

No, this is a bad trade. Sell your scar and put the money towards an actual mrad not the SMR. Nothing wrong with the smr but it lacks the quick change barrel feature and other caliber swap features making it just another bolt gun. Any AI other than an AI AT or ATX will cost more than an MRAD and those are primarilyy short action caliber though they are supposedly coming out with magnum bolt face to run saum/wsm cases.

Reactions: LilGucci
which would you rather have when zombies start coming over the wall?

Reactions: artofthepoint

Bad trade. Sell SCAR, buy bolt gun.

I’d prefer a light weight semi-auto carbine for 100 yards and in. Is there a survival reason for long-range precision zombie engagement?
if the "zombies" learn to shoot?

I have a Scar 17 and love it. I choose the scar over a Mrad smr. Scar is a great gun but it depends on what your looking for. If you’re looking for a close range rifle that give you the ability to go 400-800 then Scar is a good option. If your looking for a sniper the has sub MOA MRAD will get you it but for the same price you can get a AI. If your getting a expensive bolt gun get a AI.

Reactions: samnev
Yea too different, its really just what you preffer. Scar 17 can do Multiple roles. Light, fast, accurate. Mrad is cool but your not gaining a metric fuck ton with the smr in a 17” 308. Just my opinion.

Unless you are willing to feed a bolt gun with match ammo...I'd keep the SCAR...SCARs allow you to still have fun out to 600M with nothing but ball ammo...

Hi I will recommend you to sell it and buy the mrad I have one with a 308 17' and a conversion for a 338 LM and freaking love it but its really heavy compare to many other rifles exchanging calibers is only 1 mill different on my zero at 100 yrds but I hand load my bullets so that could be part of the reason

@reosrera welcome to the forum. However, as was previously discussed above, this discussion pertained to the MRAD SMR in .308. The SMR is a fixed caliber rifle and does not allow for user barrel changes.

Reactions: reosrera