• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Trade/PX solution

tex68w

Mister Bevilaqua
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 10, 2017
    I am looking to do a trade/purchase from a fellow member here but he has no feedback, isn't a site supporter, has only been a member for a year and has less than five posts. His comms have been great but hasn't provided me any established feedback here or over on arfcom or other related sites aside from a few posts on reddit. I am finding myself uncomfortable with moving forward without any credentials especially when you consider how many scams have popped up on here recently.

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas like an intermediary or third party solution that would help ease my qualms? If I were the sole seller I'd be in control of the narrative but seeing how I have to put out money and a trade item I am at the mercy of him following through. Should I just follow my gut and experience and knowledge from prior scenarios and move on?

You just say “I have a lot of good feedback and you don’t. We will do this deal if you send your item first and I can inspect it. “

Good idea, I'll float it and see what happens. But like @nn8734 said, I should probably just move on.

I think having him ship the item first is a reasonable request.

ETA: Trust your gut though. I've yet to get burned, but you never know.

Reactions: tex68w
    By all means, just do it

Feed the scammers, and let others know, craft the message right, and boom, it's all but a done deal

You guys are not smart and even dumber making posts like this, especially in my information sections. You trash my informational sections with bullshit and I take a dim view of you

But for sure, go for the scam, and thanks for broadcasting your intentions to the criminal underworld, give them a little insight into your thought process so they can adjust for the next guy

Wil-E-Coyote, super genius

I am looking to do a trade/purchase from a fellow member here but he has no feedback, isn't a site supporter, has only been a member for a year and has less than five posts. His comms have been great but hasn't provided me any established feedback here or over on arfcom or other related sites aside from a few posts on reddit. I am finding myself uncomfortable with moving forward without any credentials especially when you consider how many scams have popped up on here recently.

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas like an intermediary or third party solution that would help ease my qualms? If I were the sole seller I'd be in control of the narrative but seeing how I have to put out money and a trade item I am at the mercy of him following through. Should I just follow my gut and experience and knowledge from prior scenarios and move on?
    This is a joke, right- because no one can be that naive.

I can't remember which forum (not SH) but there was a scammer who had been there for a few years and had a couple hundred posts, nothing seemed unusual to the casual glance- he scammed a guy out of about $1500. WANTING something too much often causes the naive to be stupid.

If you made the thread and he responded then you wait until you receive his item before you send the cash and your trade item. Simple as that. If you were selling your item and the man offered cash you would wait until you received funds first, right. Same difference. If you are this nervous to make a post then just don’t do the deal.

At the risk of repeating myself,

this is organized crime, you are not dealing with an individual, you are not gonna outsmart the scammers unless you protect yourself at all times

They have this down to a science, even if you uncover one, here, there, anywhere, there are 20 more behind them, they make multiple accounts at the same time with the understanding 9 out of 10 will be caught.

We remove them, but that does not stop the problem, removing the profit does

I wouldn’t call myself stupid or naive, far from it, I’m just looking at alternative options at the risk helping someone establish themselves but I’m obviously not allowing myself to be setup. I realize there are lots forum members who are wallflowers and simply lurk to benefit from the wealth of knowledge without participating and that’s why I’m trying not to judge solely on post count alone. It’s the lack of feedback that bothers me and rightfully so.

I’ve only been scammed once and it was on eBay which ultimately had my back in the end (surprisingly). I considered having him shipping first like some of you have suggested but I think I’ll skip the possible hassle and go back to ISO said item. I am not desperate for the item like some have suggested but I get it, it’s easy to arm chair quarterback.

At the risk of repeating myself,

this is organized crime, you are not dealing with an individual, you are not gonna outsmart the scammers unless you protect yourself at all times

They have this down to a science, even if you uncover one, here, there, anywhere, there are 20 more behind them, they make multiple accounts at the same time with the understanding 9 out of 10 will be caught.

We remove them, but that does not stop the problem, removing the profit does
    They are basically the taliban

Care to share why you're so intent on doing a deal you yourself said your gut is telling you not to do?
    Did the reply to your iso sound something like " my friend xxx has what you are looking for.." Phone call, mailing address (Google map it to make sure it's not an empty lot or a house for sale) or call a local gun shop and see if they will play middle man for you and offer them some cash for their troubles. Best answer is walk away. If the deal is too good to walk away from its more than likely a scam coming from someone with no feedback and no references

I wish that escrow deals were more common, but as HMFIC said there will always be scammers and hackers. We should start our own lol

Keep the explanations and justifications coming . I’m sure LL Jim Courtright wants to fully hear you out.

We all appreciate your half-assed attempt at humor and wit, thanks for your worthless contribution. Welcome to the Ignore list.

Care to share why you're so intent on doing a deal you yourself said your gut is telling you not to do?
    Did the reply to your iso sound something like " my friend xxx has what you are looking for.." Phone call, mailing address (Google map it to make sure it's not an empty lot or a house for sale) or call a local gun shop and see if they will play middle man for you and offer them some cash for their troubles. Best answer is walk away. If the deal is too good to walk away from its more than likely a scam coming from someone with no feedback and no references

No, this was not the tactic, I've seen that on here many times, it's laughable. The sellers comms have been normal but the lack of credentials gave me reason for pause. I sold a $9K rifle/glass on this forum last year to someone with a similar lack of credentials but I was the seller and had no risk like I would with a partial trade and cash out on my end. In the end it doesn't matter because I moved on and the seller claims to have sold the item elsewhere.

I love seeing all of the cheap shots from the peanut gallery but I expect nothing less on the interwebs these days regardless of the community as most live sad little lives and if tossing out pointless insults from their basement makes them feel better then good for them.