• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Trade Setup For Nice Optic?

Hook Creek

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 7, 2010
Catskill Mountains, NY
Didn't post in for sale section, because I'm only thinking about it and not actually doing it yet. Just curious what others thoughts/advice would be. Been through a few setups over the years, but one thing I have not accomplished yet is having a super good optic. For guys like me (Father of two, and Stay at home wife) Money for optics worthy of our hobby is hard to come across. So I was thinking about starting with optic first this time, but using my current setup to pay for it.
This is the one I was thinking about putting up for trade
Remington 700 AAC-SD .308, Mcmillan A-5 stock, Badger bottom metal, Harris 6-9 SBRM Bipod, Seekins 20 MOA base, TPS Rings,Vortex Viper PST 4-16X50 FFP scope. Thoughts?

What kind of optic are you looking to get?

The list can get pretty long thinking about optics I would consider. I don't have my mind set on one in particular. I guess I would have to wait untill I seen what anyone would have to offer, then look more into what it is if I was unfamiliar with it

Just to put it out there I am not saying in anyway that the Vortex that's on there now is unpleasing. I am definitely happy with it. For a $900.00 scope it does great and then some. But after using some NF's and such you can tell the difference

I wouldn't worry about it. Are you in the need to see the shit coming out of a gnat's ass, or are you shooting paper and steel? Some folks have the dispensable income to buy the top end gear, you don't sound like one (I'm not being a jerk, I'm in your same boat).

As much as I critique Vortex, I don't think you're "missing" much with the PST on their. Is there something else you want in an optic? What you could consider is selling the PST and getting into an SSHD (in class with the Razor...better glass, IMHO, for 1000-1100 used), or a used Bushnell DMR 3.5-21 with reticle of your liking. That way, you're not getting rid of your entire rifle, you're upgrading your optics, and you're only needing to chip in a couple hundred bucks extra.

I'll trade you a Bushnell HDMR for that rifle.... Someone had to make the offer...

Never had the pleasure of using a HDMR, but it is one of those scopes on my long list. The only Bushnell I have used is my Elite Tactical Fixed 10x. Perfect scope for my .22 Savage MkII TR. After seeing the quality of Bushnells $200.00 scope, I can imagine what their $2100.00 optic is like.

I wouldn't worry about it. Are you in the need to see the shit coming out of a gnat's ass, or are you shooting paper and steel? Some folks have the dispensable income to buy the top end gear, you don't sound like one (I'm not being a jerk, I'm in your same boat).

As much as I critique Vortex, I don't think you're "missing" much with the PST on their. Is there something else you want in an optic? What you could consider is selling the PST and getting into an SSHD (in class with the Razor...better glass, IMHO, for 1000-1100 used), or a used Bushnell DMR 3.5-21 with reticle of your liking. That way, you're not getting rid of your entire rifle, you're upgrading your optics, and you're only needing to chip in a couple hundred bucks extra.

The last two scopes in my decision for this current rifle came down to what's on there now, and a SS. I had a cheaper SS fixed 10x back in the day, and it was a great cheap scope. I'm sure I would have been happy with th SS though.

The last two scopes in my decision for this current rifle came down to what's on there now, and a SS. I had a cheaper SS fixed 10x back in the day, and it was a great cheap scope. I'm sure I would have been happy with th SS though.

Back in the day??? With all due respect, "back in the day" it was Weaver K4.

OFG