• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Trading carrier and bolt assembly in two POF 308s

polish handgunner

Sergeant
Minuteman
A fellow at the range today had two POF 308s. He was having some failure to feed issues with one of them so he traded carrier bolt assemblies between the two POFs. Are these parts interchangeable without checking?

Later while shooting factory ammo the action failed to close. In close examination some brass was found on the rear of the barrel preventing the action from closing. After examining the pieces i thought it came from a primer - anvil and cup.

Examining the empty cases we found one blown primer and one case with a loose primer and a few more with some shading between the primer and case.

Is this attributible to some hot Hornady ammo or headspace issues?

Re: Trading carrier and bolt assembly in two POF 308s

I have been reading that Hornady has been having some issues with the ammo lately. I have seen plenty of people change out BCG's at least on the AR-15/M-16/M-4 being all mill spec. (except for the buffer tube assembly).Our 308's are designed the same way, just bigger. There is a barrel index pin that is apart of the barrel extension that sticks up and sets in a U shape notch in the upper receiver where the barrel nut threads on and delta ring and or free float tubes attach. This U shape notch is at the same place on all the uppers, and if you over crank the barrel nut to much you end up over indexing the barrel casuing the sights to go all the way to the left or right. The index pin is steel and the receiver aluminum so the steel pin will dent and disform the U shape notch in the receiver. It does not affect the headspacing and all the manufactureres keep the tolerences the same at least on the AR-15/M-16/M-4 platform. Unless POF had an issuse when the threaded the barrel extension onto the barrel itself. I dont see why there would be a problem with the gentleman changing out the BCG's on a POF with POF parts, just like me having 2 BCG's for my DPMS and remeber the BCG's have a little play in them between the bolt its self and the carier.
But thats my .02 worth lol.

I would bet that it is an ammunition problem. What specific type of Hornady factory ammo was he running? It makes a big difference.

I have read numerous reports of people having similar problems with the new Hornady Superformance ammo in semi-auto rifles...also the Hornady Light Magnum stuff can be problematic as well.

As for switching BCGs between the rifles...with an AR it should be fine, but that isn't always the case. I'd be interested to know if he had problems with the rifle(s) before all this (other than the FTF issues you indicated).

If one rifle had a lot more rounds through it than the other swapping bolts around might be a bad idea. I would bet it was the ammo though, also the brass on the rear is from a blown primer I have had that happen before when I was loading too hot in mine. The primer either falls out completely or a piece of it sticks to the front of the bolt; after that the rifle tries to chamber a new round and it either doesn't go all the way in or the round will chamber but it will be hopelessly stuck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I have read numerous reports of people having similar problems with the new Hornady Superformance ammo in semi-auto rifles...also the Hornady Light Magnum stuff can be problematic as well.

</div></div>

Superformance would be the only ammo that has been giving that problem in the Hornady line.

The Light Magnum is not meant to be or recommended for semi autos.

I have swapped out bolts in my POF without a problem.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pupdawg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd guess headspace. </div></div>

Its not the headspacing. I wish some people would really think before they type or at least have some qualifications on the topic they are refering to.

Headspacing is done when the barrel gets chambered and all POF barrels, uppers and complete guns are fired at the factory. This ensures the headspacing is correct before it gets to a customer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scottmilk9</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pupdawg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd guess headspace. </div></div>

Its not the headspacing. I wish some people would really think before they type or at least have some qualifications on the topic they are refering to.

Headspacing is done when the barrel gets chambered and all POF barrels, uppers and complete guns are fired at the factory. This ensures the headspacing is correct before it gets to a customer. </div></div>

Sorry, I think I was falling asleep when I first read the original post.

My bad for the wrong.
smile.gif