• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Trading my SR25 for an AI? Am I crazy?

ClangClang

Private
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2017
MD
I have a 16" ACC upper and values on them seem to be hovering around $4,300. I've conveniently noticed that Euro optic and mile high shooting are blowing out the AT-X at right around the same price. Or alternatively, that seems to be close to the value of a used AT. Would it be crazy to sell my upper to get into an AI in either 6 or 6.5 Creed?

Ever since I built a 6mm ARC with an 18" Proof CF barrel, that seems to be filling my need for a "heavy hitting, long(er) range gas gun" and the SR25 has mostly sat in the safe. For context, my primary interest is competing in Run and Gun biathlons, so for the matches where targets stretch out to 800+ yards, I take the ARC over the SR25 since saving a couple pounds is a major benefit when running 5-10 miles and no extra points are awarded for higher power factor or larger caliber guns.

My rationale for the SR25 <> AI trade is I'd like to try out some sniper field matches (NRL, Mammoth Sniper, maybe SAC, etc) and the SR25 is clearly not the ideal platform for that. So this allows me to get into a top tier bolt gun at essentially breakeven price. I would also sell my MARS-H lower and put some money in my pocket to fund ammo, glass, etc. The downside is that the 16" ACC uppers are discontinued and essentially unobtanium and would be very hard to replace if I ever had seller's remorse. Meanwhile, the AI (at least the AT-X) is available everywhere and it also feels like with these blowout prices, a new version may be just around the corner. SHOT show announcement maybe?

The alternative to selling the SR25 would be just keeping it and save up a bit and get an entry level $1k bolt gun (Bergara or whatever, need to do more research) and call it a day.

Hive mind, please share your wisdom with me.

Get what you want when you can afford it life is to short to not to have fun with the toys we want to play with.

There shall be no mentioning of anything being overpriced in this thread...😄.

That being said, go the route that fills your biggest gap and be comfortable in knowing you have a fine piece of equipment.

I don't own anything KAC, so I'm of no help there. My AT-X is good, but next time I'm dropping $4K plus on a rifle I'm doing it from the ground up on all the parts I want. To each their own.

I have been kicking around selling my ACC and picking up an MRAD. For quite some time, I would have considered it the center piece of my collection but honestly, I think that other manufactures have caught up and even surpassed KAC in some areas and I get more utility out of my LMT's.

I think that maybe through 2020, an argument could be made that were worth the premium if you found one at retail.

I feel the MRAD is an upgrade over my built up 700,

I think the same applies to AI.

Last edited: