• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Traeger grills

Cinch

Team GFY
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2008
Wyoming
I'm really needing a new grill. Been looking at the Traeger since I can buy one local. Any pros/cons you guys can share? Curious to know whats good, what to avoid. Thanks...

Re: Traeger grills

How many are you cooking/smoking for at a time? Do you have acess to wood? What is your intended purpose?

Trager is OK but I never liked the idea of being held hostage to pellet fuel.

If you are looking for the best smoker you can get look no further than here Klose

Dave Klose builds a no joke pit. Will last forever, and they cook like champs. Very fuel efficient, and Dave is GTG.

If you are looking for a do all grill for 2-10 people take a serious look at the Big Green Egg. It will do everything you need it to do. Charcoal for fuel (lump not briquette) it will grill and sear at 600, smoke brisket at 225 for 16 hours with very little attention. In cooler weather it will smoke cheese at less than 100 deg. We have even done wood fired pizza on ours. It cooks in the cold, heat, wind and rain and does a fantastic job. I have had one for the last 4 years and have not found anything that even comes close to a do all backyard machine.

Here is some great info on ceramic grills Naked Whiz

If you don't have a dealer close these guys will ship Freds

If you have any questions give a shout. Good luck in your hunt

Whatever you get hurry the hell up, I get hungry when I am done shooting. I ran a Holland forever until I upgraded because I missed being able to cook on charcoal. The hollands get very mixed reviews with a total love hate thing going on. I have a buddy with a treager though so I will see what he thinks on his. I also hope you get a ton of steaks when you get the grill so I can see how well it bbqs.

+1 on the Traeger. I don't buy Traeger pellets. We buy 40lb bags of pellets by the pallet for several buddies and split it up. 40lb bag runs $20. Takes
a little longer to grill steaks that a gas grill, but the flavor is much better.

Well most of the time it will be just me. But weekends etc probably 6-8 people. So I don't need a huge one. But don't want to short myself. Would be nice to smoke some brisket, ribs etc... Looks like the Traeger runs 7-800. What does the BGE run? Heard good things about them.

Also.... how long does it take to get one of these things fired up and ready to cook? If I just wanted to do burgers and dogs or something?

It get's to temp at probably 12 minutes, 15 for sure. (Little Tex)

I put a the Treager Temp gauge on the door where the pushout is. Max it ever reads is 375. I went ahead and put one on the opposite side of the door and by the grate. It reads 500F when the top one reads 375F. (The electric T stat readout never registers over 375F)

I have all components to replace on mine as there was a recall on a few of them I guess. Mine doesn't seem to get as hot as the new ones out there. If something quits on me, I'll swap it all out.

I clean the pot out every 1 bag of pellets I push through it, and or every 16hour smoke session. The pellets I run build more ash than the factory Traeger pellets, plus when I turn it on I crank it up and don't let it start on smoke. I have been told cranking it forces too many pellets in too quick and doesn't allow it to burn them out on startup.

Also, I cover the drip pan with heavy duty foil. Makes cleanup a breeze.

Gunner something is wrong with your grill or fuel. I've been a dealer for Traeger since 1995 and never had to clean it out that often( more like 20-30 bags is normal). Fuel could also be why your grill isn't getting as hot as it should. High ash content fuel usually won't generate the BTU's of low ash fuel.

20-30 bags? Really? Of the few that I am very familiar with I don't see that happening and a few are running Traeger pellets.

Maybe I better swap the parts out then. I have never tried to run over 3 bags at most (20lb bags) as the ash pile and or "clinker" gets pretty big.

Is starting the grill on 375 a major contributor to what I am seeing?

I don't see that as being the problem Traeger used to recommend starting the grill on high now they "say" to start on smoke with the lid open. I think the reason for the switch is if the glow plug starts to get weak and didn't light most customers would just cycle the grill to off and then turn it back on. Then when the grill did light there was way too much fuel in the pot( to a point of overflowing) That would cause the grill to overheat and warp the flame shield and the drip pan.( Ask Me How I Know)

Green Mountain sent me some info a few years ago and @ the time their pricing was a couple of hundred more than the same size Traeger after just checking out there website it looks like they are more in line and offer some features the Traeger doesn't.

Also Green Mountain is sold by dealers who have some wiggle room on pricing. All of the Traegers I was looking at were sold at retail stores and cost was fixed.

IMO biggest advantage offered is the temp control on base models of GM. Think the Traeger offers a similar control as an optional upgrade.

Check out Yoder, and Gator Pits. I intend to buy one of theirs once I redo the deck.

Thanks for all the info. I guess I need to look in depth at the Traeger, Green Mountain, and BGE and decide what will work the best for me.

I have had my Traeger for six years. love what it does, the best grill for chicken (won't burn), and I also like smoking meats on it. The one draw back I have had with mine is that the burn rod burned out twice already, BUT Traeger sent me new ones both times no questions asked, and you gotta be an idiot if you won't be able to figure out how to change the burn rod. Other than that, the best grill I have had.

We got my dad a BGE for Christmas this past year and it certainly lives up to the hype. I've never used a charcoal grill that you can control the temperature so accurately and then have it hold that temperature for a long time. He's got the large, which is plenty big for cooking for a dozen people. The egg, electric starter, plate setter and book was about $1100 out the door and then we built our own stand for it. I'd suggest if you get an egg to build your own stand, their stands are way overpriced imo. We basically built an outdoor kitchen of a stand out of oak and cypress with a 25"x25" granite slab inlaid in the top for food prep for a couple hundred less than what one of the BGE carts would cost.

I cant say enough good about my Traeger grill.
Food taste is premium with it. the only down side is the pellets cost.
If you are grilling in cooler or cold weather try to keep the wind off your grill.