• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Trail Boss - 300BLK

Masked

Smith Tactical
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 2, 2012
Connecticut
www.smith-tactical.com
So, I recently found 3 jugs of Trail Boss in my reloading cabinet and from what I've heard, it's actually a good 300blk powder.

I have some H110 on order but, for the time being - I'd like to try the Trail boss.

According to my data:

135 SMK's
7gr Trail Boss
1000 FPS

Apparently 7 grains of trail boss is a max load.

I did an archive search on Arfcom and it seemed to go both ways. Some say it's good, others bad...

Anyone actually try it that has any input?

Thanks!

My $.02 is just be precise. Cheerios are about the only thing worse than extruded stick. Measure each charge and don’t just throw and call it good. It’s easy to get overpresure and bad consistency. That said, it’s the most straightforward way to load subs. Just take your time and pay attention to detail (more than usual).

Reactions: skyrep
My issue isn't so much being precise as it is the misinformation surrounding the load data.

Some say 7gr is the max load.
Others 6.5gr...

Anyone have actual experience with trail boss in 300BLK?

Max load with trailboss is the amount that fills the case to the base of the bullet. Back off 30% and work up. Hodgdon lists 5.5 grains to 6.4 grains as max, depending upon bullet. They have an online resource. I don't have a Sierra loading manual. It would be worth a check. But, everything I've ever read about trailboss says that there is no danger of over charging, so long as you are not compressing loads.

My experience is that trailboss will not cycle a 300 bo ar15...

Reactions: Aceteck
Trail Boss is a very bulky, very fast powder Unless it's compressed I don't think you could get enough into a blackout case to cause excessive pressure, but see the 30% rule as posted above. I use it with cast bullets and with 90 grain XTP pistol bullets in the blackout. 4 grains of TB under that little XTP is a hoot from a single shot with a suppressor and a good varmint round inside 100 yards

I ended up using lil’gun on my 300blk and 338spectre subs

Yeah, I ended up getting about 1000 pulled 147 SMK's - They're great, actually - Didn't expect them to be. I figure if I use H110 on the low end, it'll push 1050.

Trailboss did OKAY, not great...And there wasn't enough pressure to even cycle the piston on my 300blk so, hopefully, H110 works out.

Trailboss won't cycle an AR. It's stupid quiet in a bolt gun with lighter bullets. In a bolt action, I've gone to VV N32C (Tin Star) for everything from 110gr to 160gr subsonic. Trailboss also doesn't like to be compressed.
I've had better results with N110 and N120 in a semi auto with bullet weights from 180 to 220 for subs.

I ended up using lil’gun on my 300blk and 338spectre subs

Care to share your info on the 338S load(s) with Lil’ Gun?

Not a ton of info out there for that caliber and I’ve got a bolt gun I’ll eventually be loading for.

And to not totally get off topic, your 300BO info would certainly be of value for another datapoint in this thread. I tried LG in my 300BO with 220gr SMKs, but kept getting 40+FPS extreme spreads which would go above and below the supersonic threshold at my location. Switched to A1680 and all was right in the world.

Care to share your info on the 338S load(s) with Lil’ Gun?

Not a ton of info out there for that caliber and I’ve got a bolt gun I’ll eventually be loading for.

And to not totally get off topic, your 300BO info would certainly be of value for another datapoint in this thread. I tried LG in my 300BO with 220gr SMKs, but kept getting 40+FPS extreme spreads which would go above and below the supersonic threshold at my location. Switched to A1680 and all was right in the world.
I’ll gladly share just have to dig out my notebook for the data. I’ll post it as soon as I get the book out?