• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Trail Cam Recommendations

snbyiggidy1

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2018
Brownsville, Oregon
I am not sure this is the best place for this and I already did some searching. I am looking for recommendations on the best trail cams for night vision pictures. Looking at some of the browning ones now. Wanting clear night pictures.

I’ve been through a number of different camera’s and I have only those Browning types now…probably 10…Simple, Well made and reliable…Good pics

Reactions: diggler1833
Browning is my current run. There was a thread about this somewhere a while back as well. Not sure how developed it got.

I’ll pull my card tomorrow and see what I can show you from my browning I have on the feeder. I would do it now, but like a dummy I turned the cell data on the camera off last time I moved it and put new batteries in it

Reactions: snbyiggidy1
I have owned 4 or 5 over the last 9 years and I'm not satisfied with any of them. Daylight pictures are fine, but I can't say that I've been impressed with the night time pictures.

I’ve been using a few covert blackhawks for several years now and they’ve been great.

I’ve had two xr6 ultrafire cameras for I think 4 years no problems. They take pics and videos of everything. Mine have never left the woods in all that time. Love them. Thinking about getting two more of there cameras HP2W it’s a Hyperfire 2 white flash. I am going to send my two xr6 in after season to have them looked over and updated if need be.

Here's a place that I found since they do some pretty decent reviews while showing pics and videos. I'm not responsible for how much you spend. LOL

@BullGear They are a tad bit grainy, it’s pretty close to my eyes at least to the browning dark. I do think though the cuddeback is clearer than the browning during day. I’ve been wanting to get a cellphone cam. Those seem pretty cool

@BullGear They are a tad bit grainy, it’s pretty close to my eyes at least to the browning dark. I do think though the cuddeback is clearer than the browning during day. I’ve been wanting to get a cellphone cam. Those seem pretty cool

I agree. I owned a really cheap camera about 10-12 years ago and it had the clearest night time photos you'd ever seen. Sadly it only lasted a year. But I got some of the best pictures from that cheap camera. Now a camera costing $250 doesn't compare.

Reactions: HeavyAssault
I’ll pull my card tomorrow and see what I can show you from my browning I have on the feeder. I would do it now, but like a dummy I turned the cell data on the camera off last time I moved it and put new batteries in it
Thanks for being willing to do that I look forward to seeing what you are getting.

I have been through a lot of different cameras recently. I am all non cell cameras as we aren't supposed to have them in WYO for hunting.

I bought two different Brownings this year and like them the best so far. I do have a couple gripes with each camera. I think one of the cameras is the Dark Ops Pro XD (https://www.trailcampro.com/collections/browning-trail-cameras/products/browning-dark-ops-pro-xd) mine does not have the mount shown in the photos. It takes great night pictures but does not trigger as frequently as any of my other cameras. The other is one of the Strike force models. It takes good night pictures and triggers more frequently than the other. My complaint about this one is with the mount that has a hinge and friction lock (shown below). the metal bracket sits flat against the tree and the camera hinges at the bottom to pivot down to get your angle. First I found to get the camera to stay tilted at your desired angle that you have to really crank down the thumbscrew. I moved this same camera to another tree later in the summer. A curious bear messed with the camera on the tree. With the thumbscrew cranked as tight as it would go all the pressure is down on the hinge. The plastic in the back of the camera broke out around the hinge. I have glued it back together and will just plan on using it like all other cameras where I'll use a stick to prop out the top of the camera to get my proper angle.

1631198020232.png

I have used the primos cameras at sportsmans this year also and they seem to work fine. They take pretty good night pictures. I have had one of my two get a row of dead pixels on the camera side which shows up in all pictures now. It doesn't effect the cameras and is not huge, but is irritating within the first year.

The spypoints take great pictures. However, the last two years I have had a lot of problems with probably 7 or 8 cameras. They seem to not do well in the cold. I also have several that either reset all or just certain items of their data to factory (date, time, etc.) every time they are turned off. Most of them seem to just quit working in the cold even with fresh batteries.

Some things that are nice on the browning and primos are the front lcd which let you see what the camera is pointed at while setting it up. Trailcamerapro has some good write ups on the differences in the cameras and what some things manufacturers do in the software. For example, they will advertise a certain megapixel output but that is often interpolated in software from a lower MP camera.

I have been through a lot of different cameras recently. I am all non cell cameras as we aren't supposed to have them in WYO for hunting.

I bought two different Brownings this year and like them the best so far. I do have a couple gripes with each camera. I think one of the cameras is the Dark Ops Pro XD (https://www.trailcampro.com/collections/browning-trail-cameras/products/browning-dark-ops-pro-xd) mine does not have the mount shown in the photos. It takes great night pictures but does not trigger as frequently as any of my other cameras. The other is one of the Strike force models. It takes good night pictures and triggers more frequently than the other. My complaint about this one is with the mount that has a hinge and friction lock (shown below). the metal bracket sits flat against the tree and the camera hinges at the bottom to pivot down to get your angle. First I found to get the camera to stay tilted at your desired angle that you have to really crank down the thumbscrew. I moved this same camera to another tree later in the summer. A curious bear messed with the camera on the tree. With the thumbscrew cranked as tight as it would go all the pressure is down on the hinge. The plastic in the back of the camera broke out around the hinge. I have glued it back together and will just plan on using it like all other cameras where I'll use a stick to prop out the top of the camera to get my proper angle.

View attachment 7699856

I have used the primos cameras at sportsmans this year also and they seem to work fine. They take pretty good night pictures. I have had one of my two get a row of dead pixels on the camera side which shows up in all pictures now. It doesn't effect the cameras and is not huge, but is irritating within the first year.

The spypoints take great pictures. However, the last two years I have had a lot of problems with probably 7 or 8 cameras. They seem to not do well in the cold. I also have several that either reset all or just certain items of their data to factory (date, time, etc.) every time they are turned off. Most of them seem to just quit working in the cold even with fresh batteries.

Some things that are nice on the browning and primos are the front lcd which let you see what the camera is pointed at while setting it up. Trailcamerapro has some good write ups on the differences in the cameras and what some things manufacturers do in the software. For example, they will advertise a certain megapixel output but that is often interpolated in software from a lower MP camera.
Thank you for all the great info. I am leaning towards browning more and more. Now to just find what I am looking for in stock.

Reactions: Tactical Taz
Here are a couple from the last two nights. The feeder if you can see it is about 35-40 feet from the camera.
3A085CBE-07A3-4464-8EF1-01C6A70BD303.jpeg
C77A3BE5-40BD-4BEE-AC66-0ADFBE630914.jpeg
A4AE737F-9AEB-41D8-98CC-EF27716F0EA6.jpeg

I've used Moultrie (works fine) and a Spypoint (junk that could never get to work, despite many CS calls). But the Tactacam Reveals (my FIL and I have three Reveal and one Reveal X) have been amazing. The biggest issue is finding any in stock.

Attachments

• IMG_20210911_100554.jpg
    IMG_20210911_100554.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 45
  • 0e01dcab-ac4c-40b0-880d-2e700b66f7b8.jpg
    0e01dcab-ac4c-40b0-880d-2e700b66f7b8.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 45
This may not help, but I’ve learned over the years to just buy the cheapest cameras I can find and when one breaks I throw it away and go get another one. I don’t need the best quality pics or cell capabilities so it works for me.

These are all from a Apeman camera. Super cheap. Less than $40 on Amazon. Sometimes they are on sale for mid 30s

IMG_1638.jpg
IMG_1547.jpg
IMG_0362.jpg
IMG_0222.jpg
IMAG0340.jpeg
IMG_1546.jpg

Reactions: Dendro